Are House Prices Canada's New Successful Birth Control?
- Author Ira Smith
- Published January 18, 2016
- Word count 376
Sky high house prices are the delight of one generation and the doom of another. Baby boomers’ happiness directly correlates with the increase in house prices. They can cash out and live the retirement they dreamed of while the younger generations are handcuffed from creating the family life that they dreamed of.
The high cost of buying into the housing market is causing many couples to delay having a family. A new survey from RateSupermarket reports that:
56% of respondents said their ability to start or expand their family has been impacted by house prices in their region
72% of millennials said their ability to start or expand their family has been impacted by house prices in their region
52.8% of respondents said they couldn’t expand their family in their current home
49.4% said the costs involved have caused them to change their minds about the size of their family
The house prices in Toronto and Vancouver are not for the faint of heart, with the average single-family home in both cities currently above $1 million. It’s virtually impossible for a young couple to buy into the housing market today so with few options, condos are becoming more attractive to young couples and young families.
The study from the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) senior economist David Macdonald estimates that:
A 20% decline in house prices across Canada would put 169,000 families under age 40 "underwater" on their mortgages. That’s one in 10 families in that age group. If prices fell 30% – in line with the maximum by which the Bank of Canada says Canadian house prices are overvalued – there would be 294,000 underwater families under 40, or one in seven
It doesn’t seem right that young couples feel that they can’t start a family because they can’t afford to buy a house. Or even worse, they chase their dreams, buy a house that they really can’t afford and land up deep in debt. If you’re struggling financially, seek professional help as soon as possible. The Ira Smith Team approaches every file with the attitude that financial problems can be solved given immediate action and the right plan. Contact us today so that Starting Over, Starting Now you can put your financial problems behind you and plan your future.
Ira Smith Trustee & Receiver Inc. is a full service insolvency and financial restructuring practice serving companies and individuals throughout the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) facing financial crisis or bankruptcy that need a plan for Starting Over, Starting Now.
www.irasmithinc.com/blogArticle source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- What is Remortgaging?
- Choosing the Right Mortgage - 3 Things You Need to Know
- What Documents Do I Need For a Mortgage in the UK?
- 5 Benefits of Working With a Mortgage Broker
- How To Get A Cheaper Mortgage
- 5 ways to credit rebuilding in the United States
- FHA and Conventional loans, which is better?
- How Does A Property Bridging Loan Work
- Mortgage Advice - Key Tips For Working With A Mortgage Broker
- How A Good Mortgage Broker Can Make Buying A Home An Incredible Experience
- Rosbank: Rapid Digital Transformation during Quarantine
- How To Pay Off Your Mortgage in 5-7 Years
- How To Remove a Bankruptcy From Your Credit History
- What Credit Score Will Get You A Mortgage?
- What are CAP rates (and why should I care)?
- Exactly how to Select the most effective and also Right Billing Factoring Company?
- How to remove your name from debt review
- How to Choose the Right Mortgage
- How To Find The Right Texas Mortgage Lender
- How a Mortgage Lender Can Help You
- 5 Things To Expect When Meeting with An Investor
- Remortgaging- is it the best option?
- 4 Mistakes You Should Avoid When Listing With An Agent In San Jose
- How to Create Marketable Commercial Mortgage Notes
- Here’s How Debt Consolidation Can Help You
- Home Loan Programs: How Recent Medical School Graduates Can Qualify
- VA Home Loan Programs: How Veterans in Need Can Benefit
- The 30-Second Trick for Australia Mortgages
- Reap Huge Benefits from USDA Home Loans
- Many Benefits of Veteran Loans