What Parents can Expect as Babies Develop
- Author Anselm Anyoha
- Published May 1, 2020
- Word count 462
Book Review: Touchpoints - Birth to Three by Berry Brazelton, MD
From the day they are born, babies’ motor movements and their social and emotional abilities steadily unfold and develop alongside their physical appearance. These changes, most of them completely normal, may still concern their mothers and fathers. An alteration in the shape of their baby’s head is an example of physical development that worries parents, according to Brazelton, a pediatrician and a child psychiatrist. A variation in levels of alertness is an example of a behavioral change in babies that confuses some parents. Some developments are subtle, like when a baby tracks its mother’s movements out of the corner of its eyes, while others – like smiling and laughing out loud – are dramatic and surprising to parents. When certain changes occur, or fail to occur, parents become anxious and worried, according to Brazelton. The list of parental concerns is long. They worry whether the baby will be able to grow teeth, sit, crawl, walk, talk, or develop a normal level of intelligence.
In his book Touchpoints - Birth to Three, Dr. Brazelton points out that every parental worry is an opportunity for the medical practitioner to explain what is going on in the body and the mind of the baby, and whether it is an expected but transient physical or emotional occurrence. Parents who understand what is causing a particular behavior in their children are generally eager to become part of the solution and participate in prescribed remedies, explains Brazelton.
Part of what is driving the behavioral changes in the newborn is their maturing nervous system, as well as their developing desire to assert autonomy, in violation of the mothers' natural tendency to remain in charge. Therefore, the more the mother tries to restrain the infant, the more the infant pushes back against the mother. Learning how to respect, recognize, and support what the infant is trying to accomplish is necessary for parents and children to develop good relationships.
Any parental concern is what Brazelton terms a touchpoint, providing an opportunity for the practitioner to give an insightful medical opinion, thereby enhancing parental understanding as well as alleviating their anxiety. Being upfront with parents on what to expect in their newborn as it learns to sit up, crawl, and eventually walk is essential.
Although every pediatrician has their own style of interacting with children and their families, framing parental concerns and challenges encountered in child development in such a concise manner requires a tactful and knowledgeable approach. What each pediatrician brings up and discusses during routine office visits with families depends on his or her level of clinical experience, as well as their interest in child social-emotional development – an area which I feel many pediatricians have shied away from.
Please buy my new children's book on child-parent relationship at https://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Grasshopper-Child-into-Thorns-ebook/dp/B087MW5LD6Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- A Look at the Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt
- The Pros and Cons in a Sugar Daddy Dating Relationship
- Tips on Running Your Own E-commerce Website
- Blueberries Are Full of Health Benefits
- Bailex Felix - Top Spa Resort in Romania
- 5 Powerful Ways To Raise Your Online Profile
- Do you really want to lose weight now?
- 5 Reasons Why Online Marketing Is Flourishing (And How You Can Use It In Your Business)
- 5 Underrated Animations That Deserve More Attention
- The power of evidence
- The Critical analysis in the Economy of Paraguay
- A qualitative view point of Managerial skills
- Get Custom Printed Chinese Takeout Boxes with Free Shipping
- For BBW Admirers: How to Choose the Right BBW Dating Apps
- Why Do Health Insurers Require Prior Authorization?
- Are garage conversions the answer to the housing crisis?
- Kitchen Remodeling For Additional Value To Your Home
- Understanding CBD Strengths for Vaping
- Buy Edu Backlinks
- You Only Need To Believe In Order To Begin Attracting
- Cool Food carbon reduction project wins European REGIOSTARS 2020 Award
- List Out The 5 Benefits of CCTV Cameras
- The Multimillionaire Mindset That Leads to Financial Success
- Charity: The Greatest Money-making Secret
- How Bill Gates made Microsoft a huge Business Success
- How Steve Jobs made Apple a huge Business Success
- How John D Rockefeller became the Richest Person in Modern History Via Business
- Credit Monitoring Will Save Your Credit
- 5 Quick Tips to Resolve POGO Games Not working and Sign in issue
- Best Leather Jacket mens