What Parents can Expect as Babies Develop
- Author Anselm Anyoha
- Published May 1, 2020
- Word count 462
Book Review: Touchpoints - Birth to Three by Berry Brazelton, MD
From the day they are born, babies’ motor movements and their social and emotional abilities steadily unfold and develop alongside their physical appearance. These changes, most of them completely normal, may still concern their mothers and fathers. An alteration in the shape of their baby’s head is an example of physical development that worries parents, according to Brazelton, a pediatrician and a child psychiatrist. A variation in levels of alertness is an example of a behavioral change in babies that confuses some parents. Some developments are subtle, like when a baby tracks its mother’s movements out of the corner of its eyes, while others – like smiling and laughing out loud – are dramatic and surprising to parents. When certain changes occur, or fail to occur, parents become anxious and worried, according to Brazelton. The list of parental concerns is long. They worry whether the baby will be able to grow teeth, sit, crawl, walk, talk, or develop a normal level of intelligence.
In his book Touchpoints - Birth to Three, Dr. Brazelton points out that every parental worry is an opportunity for the medical practitioner to explain what is going on in the body and the mind of the baby, and whether it is an expected but transient physical or emotional occurrence. Parents who understand what is causing a particular behavior in their children are generally eager to become part of the solution and participate in prescribed remedies, explains Brazelton.
Part of what is driving the behavioral changes in the newborn is their maturing nervous system, as well as their developing desire to assert autonomy, in violation of the mothers' natural tendency to remain in charge. Therefore, the more the mother tries to restrain the infant, the more the infant pushes back against the mother. Learning how to respect, recognize, and support what the infant is trying to accomplish is necessary for parents and children to develop good relationships.
Any parental concern is what Brazelton terms a touchpoint, providing an opportunity for the practitioner to give an insightful medical opinion, thereby enhancing parental understanding as well as alleviating their anxiety. Being upfront with parents on what to expect in their newborn as it learns to sit up, crawl, and eventually walk is essential.
Although every pediatrician has their own style of interacting with children and their families, framing parental concerns and challenges encountered in child development in such a concise manner requires a tactful and knowledgeable approach. What each pediatrician brings up and discusses during routine office visits with families depends on his or her level of clinical experience, as well as their interest in child social-emotional development – an area which I feel many pediatricians have shied away from.
Please buy my new children's book on child-parent relationship at https://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Grasshopper-Child-into-Thorns-ebook/dp/B087MW5LD6Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- How to Learn Japanese With Manga: 5 Books for Beginners
- Why Is WordPress Bad?
- Stopping Fax Spam
- Strategic planning pillars
- Teaching Kids to Unplug – A Parenting Battle Worth Fighting
- THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN LOOKING FOR AN ONLINE FOREX TRADING COURSE
- What Is Data Democratization and Why is it Needed?
- None of Us Are Above the Placebo Effect
- Sunscreen Myths and Facts
- Know the Role of Criminal Defense Lawyer in Singapore
- How To Manage Your Anger On The Golf Course
- How to Repair a Toilet
- How I Awoken My Inner Mr. Hyde
- Here's a Riddle For You
- A Laughable Moment That Teaches You How Not to Take Self-responsibility
- The Opening of Grand Egyptian Museum
- Quarantine? Training in small spaces never so important
- Carthage, Tunisia
- 5 Great Tips On How To Get Girls
- How A Cup Of Tea Make You Millionaire/Rich?
- How to Change Macros in the Excel Visual Basic Language?
- What are the different types of car liability insurance?
- Car insurance and the importance of the proposal form
- Car insurance – what rating factors are most important
- 15 Best Foods for Weight Loss!
- What to do when you have a Toothache
- Covid-19 Impact On Rental Contracts In UAE
- Impact on Working Hours during Ramadan Due to Covid-19
- Organic Tea Is A Lifestyle
- Dental Crowns and Bridges in Singapore