How Celiac Disease Affects Dental Health
- Author Ema Dental
- Published December 15, 2021
- Word count 539
According to The National Institutes of Health, more than 3 million Americans have Celiac Disease. This prevalent auto-immune disorder is triggered by gluten, which is a protein often found in wheat, barley, and rye. As a result, patients are encouraged to adopt a gluten-free diet to avoid damage to the small intestine that results in fatigue, diarrhea, anemia, and other serious health complications. What many aren’t aware of, however, is the link between this condition and poor dental health. To learn more, read on!
So, How Does Celiac Disease Affect Dental Health?
Since Celiac Disease largely affects the small intestine and digestion, it may not seem like your smile is in jeopardy. However, experts at the Celiac Disease Foundation have shared important research showing that dental enamel defects, delayed dental development, and cavities are a few oral health problems associated with this auto-immune disorder. Furthermore, patients who don’t maintain a gluten-free diet are at-risk for mouth cancers. As a result, it’s of the utmost importance to prioritize oral care.
A Few Tips for Protecting Your Smile from Home
Dental problems, like cavities, don’t just wreak havoc on the look of your smile; the function is compromised in the process. That’s why it’s crucial to commit to a solid oral hygiene routine. A great place to start is at home by:
• Brushing for two full minutes with a fluoride toothpaste both morning and night.
• Flossing and rinsing with mouthwash daily.
• Filling your diet with nutrient-dense foods.
• Quitting unhealthy dental habits, like smoking.
• Drinking plenty of water.
• Not consuming sugar in excess.
The Importance of Routine Dental Checkups and Cleanings
Even the most diligent brushers and flossers have an ultimately incomplete oral hygiene regimen if they don’t visit their dentist every six months for a checkup and cleaning. Although they may seem insignificant at first glance, they can actually be lifesaving. That’s because the examination portion of these visits screen for oral cancer. Since patients with Celiac Disease have a higher risk of developing mouth cancers, these routine visits are extremely important. Not to mention that a skilled dentist can treat dental problems when they are minor, clean the hard-to-reach areas of your mouth effectively, and remove built-up plaque and tartar.
Common Symptoms of Celiac Disease to Look Out For
Sadly, many Americans with Celiac Disease go undiagnosed for years because they are unaware of the common symptoms. To prevent that from happening to you or a loved one, keep an eye out for the below:
Symptoms of Celiac Disease in Children
• Persistent diarrhea
• Swollen belly
Symptoms of Celiac Disease in Adults
• Weight loss
• Abdominal pain
Treating Celiac Disease
If any of the above symptoms are present, then it’s important to talk to your primary care physician. From there, they can guide you through the next best steps, like removing gluten from your diet. Just remember to keep your dentist in the loop. After all, common symptoms like dry mouth and canker sores can wreak havoc on your oral health. Fortunately, they can help you form a plan to keep your teeth and gums happy and healthy both now and for years to come!
EMA Dental is a general dentistry practice based in Massachusetts. Learn more about our practice and your oral health here:https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- One Person One Vote is Not Enough to Rescue America’s Faltering Democracy
- What Lowers Testosterone? The Answers May Surprise You.
- Just not comparable
- I Have Been Made Redundant! Do I need a Settlement Agreement?
- Will 2022 be the year of the LinkedIn business influencer?
- Essential Fine Jewelry for a New Year Party
- Miles Of Smiles Nursery and pre-school Dubai al Barsha
- 5 Ultimate Diamond Jewelry Fashion to Watch Out For in 2022
- Biggest online slot game wins
- Why Are Catalytic Converters Being Stolen?
- Service Dogs Against Anxiety and Depression
- The Equality of the Fallen
- Reframing Faith through Fantasy
- Mythopoeic Grace
- To the Ghost We Have Not Met
- White Spots on Teeth: How to Improve Your Smile
- 3 Top Christian Influencers in India
- Top 3 Christian Podcasts in India
- Finding your Purpose through your Pain
- Weight Loss and Your Smile: How Eating Healthier Can Help Your Waistline and Your Mouth
- Over 40 Keto Solution Review
- The Best YouTube SEO Tips to Implement
- How Exercise Can Benefit Your Mouth
- Solar thermal panel for water heating
- How to Rank Better for Local Searches on Google
- 3 Top Most Christmas Jewelry Trends You Should Know About
- Most Common Electrical Incidents and How to Avoid Them
- How to Play Ethermore: A Step-by-Step Guide
- An Introduction to Ethermore: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started
- 6 Fabulous Tips to Find the Best Dissertation Topics