How to Handle (& Prevent!) Dental Emergencies on Your Vacation
- Author Dr. Greg Riley
- Published April 19, 2022
- Word count 562
The temperature is getting warmer and the days are getting longer… summertime must be just around the corner! As a long-time Juno Beach dentist, I know that means peak vacation time is just around the corner too. If you’re using your much-deserved PTO to unwind on the beach, then the LAST thing you want to deal with is a toothache. After all, even a minor one can make trying new foods and sleeping peacefully nearly impossible. Keep reading as I share a few must-know tips for preventing dental emergencies as well as a step-by-step guide on what to do if you do experience one on vacation.
First, Let’s Talk About How to Prevent Dental Emergencies
If a dental emergency arises while on vacation, you can, of course, find a local dentist like me to help. However, it’s best to avoid these situations altogether to keep your vacation as stress-free as possible. Here are four key ways to help prevent a dental injury during your time off:
• Visit your dentist for a checkup and cleaning beforehand
• Maintain a solid oral hygiene regimen before, during, and after your vacation
• Avoid unhealthy dental habits, like smoking and chewing on ice
• Keep your consumption of sugary foods and beverages to a minimum
Oral Hygiene Essentials to Pack in Your Bag
Whether you’re going away for a few days or an entire week, it’s important to pack your bag with more than just shoes, clothes, and underwear – you need all of your oral hygiene essentials too! A few staples to pack are a soft-bristled toothbrush, floss, and a travel-sized mouthwash. It’s also a good idea to include some dental emergency-related items, like ibuprofen. Lastly, make sure to include the information of a local dentist. It may seem excessive, but you’ll be glad you did if you end up needing their phone number and address in a hurry!
A Step-by-Step Guide to Handling a Dental Emergency While on Vacation
Ideally, your vacation will be nothing short of relaxing and rejuvenating. However, if you do happen to experience a dental emergency, then:
• Assess the damage – Dental emergencies include everything from a sudden toothache to a completely knocked-out tooth. So, priority number one is to assess the damage. If you are struggling with a potentially life-threatening symptom, like difficulty breathing or a fractured jaw, then heading to the nearest ER is the best course of action. For all other dental-related injuries, visit a dentist.
• Take action – Once you’ve assessed the damage and determined where to seek help, there are a few things you can do. Gently rinsing your mouth out with water, using a cold compress to minimize any swelling, and taking an over-the-counter pain reliever are a few common actions patients take until their appointment.
• Visit a skilled nearby dentist – Whether you have to go to the ER first or you’re able to head straight to a dental office, it’s important to remember that only dentists can treat tooth-related injuries. The sooner you visit them, the sooner your pain-free smile will be restored.
Getting a dental injury likely isn’t on your itinerary. That doesn’t mean that it won’t happen though, which is why it’s so important to be prepared. That way, even a slight hiccup like a dental emergency won’t ruin your much-deserved vacation.
There are no posted comments.
- Are KLM Multi-city flights cheap?
- Valetta - Europe's cutest capital
- Top 5 Best Trekking routes in Nepal
- Exploring the Thrilling World of Dubai Desert on Rental Motorbike
- Fly Smart with AviaGuru: Your Ultimate Travel Companion
- 7 Things really efficient to consider for a perfect family vacation.
- User Best Things To Do In Morocco
- Irish Wildflower Meadows
- Unveiling the Magic of Mountaintop Cabin Rentals: Escape to Serenity Introduction:
- Top 5 Underrated Festivals of Kathmandu Valley
- Amboseli National Park
- Adventure Travel - An Exciting Way To Get Away From The Stress Of Daily Life
- 10 Of The Best Places To Visit On A European Road Trip
- 10 reasons that will make you fall in love with Rajasthan
- Weekend Tour Plan for Nainital & Jim Corbett in Uttarakhand
- Budapest stag do activities
- Budapest stag do
- The Complete Guide To The Best Kimberley Cruises
- Why You Should Take A Vacation To Maldives?
- My Tropical Christmas Vacation in Jaco Beach, Costa Rica!
- Touring Tuscany: Where To Go And What To Do
- When is the time hike to Everest Base Camp ?
- BOOK A BUDGET SAFARI IN UGANDA
- LARGE GROUP SAFARIS INTO UGANDA
- How To Save Money On Your Next Vacation
- Blake McCoy on Trips to Add to Your 2022 Bucket List
- Varieties of Dubai Desert Safaris
- HEART WARMING GIFT IDEAS FOR FLY FISHING VALENTINE
- Vanderbilt Beach Park,