Sciatic Stretches – Treating Sciatica Through Natural Means
- Author Neil Jones
- Published September 20, 2008
- Word count 517
Low back pain and sciatica can cause great distress to people, at times
making them unable to carry on routine day to day activities. Treatment
methods can vary depending on what exactly is causing the low back pain or
sciatica and how severe the symptoms are. Medications can help in immediate
relief to patients, especially for those suffering from acute pain. However
the course of treatment and also in cases where symptoms are not so severe,
exercise and sciatic stretches can help in sciatic relief.
The cause for sciatic pain should be identified. Often it could be caused by
some irritation nerve points leading up to the sciatic nerve, pelvic
instability could cause sciatic pain so could some kind of tightening in the
Piriformis muscle. Whatever the cause, sciatic stretches have been
recommended and found to be helpful to address the sciatic pain. Obviously,
the stretches have to address these three areas – the Piriformis muscle,
lower back and pelvis – as they have to target those muscles that cause
First, let us turn our attention to the lower back muscles and joints. The
sciatic nerve starts in this area and it is important that these areas be
corrected first. The best way of tackling problems in the lower back areas
would be to combine both lower back stretched and lower back exercises with
some joint mobility workouts.
Next, we turn to what relief from pelvis instability. Obviously, the pelvis
now needs to be balanced which is achieved with the help of exercises that
not only relax the tightened muscles that cause pain but also strengthen the
Finally, these exercises will aid in the realignment of the pelvis. Relief
from pain caused by tightening in the Piriformis muscle can be achieved by
stretches that include flexing the lower spine as also stretching the
muscles at the back near the spine and consequently, stretching the
One simple exercise to stretch the piriformis and get some relief from the
pain can be mentioned here. Lie flat on your back on the floor. Now hold
your right knee and pull it towards your left shoulder. You have to pull the
knee and the foot across your body. Hold still for about 30 seconds. Repeat
the same with the left knee. In addition to these exercises, hamstring
stretches are also recommended for relief from sciatica pain. This is
because any tightness in the hamstring can put more stress on the lower back
and generally leads to a worsening of the situation.
Care should however be taken to see that hamstring stretches are done
smoothly, that there is no bouncing and muscle spasms are avoided. Further,
Yoga stretches are also found to be fairly effective in sciatica pain relief
when it is caused by problems with Piriformis muscle. Again, certain yoga
stretches do not help sciatica pain relief and in fact can cause more
It has been found that stretches for sciatica pain relief help a great deal
in preventing future pain. However, always keep in mind that sciatica
stretches must be done regularly and correctly to be effective.
For more info on [sciatica
today!Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- 5 Things You Can Do in the Morning to Fight the Signs of Aging forever
- Know Your Curls - What Should I Be Using?
- WHAT IS HYALURONIC ACID ?
- Why Hand-tied Hair Extensions?
- What is a Cosmetic Surgery and Its Commonly Procedures?
- Health and beauty benefits of sleeping on a pure silk pillowcase
- Perfumes and Colognes
- Benefits of using high potency Collagen for Skin, Hair, and Joints
- What big skin care manufacturers don’t want you to know
- Eyebrow Microblading School
- Dental Crowns and Bridges in Singapore
- What Is Glutathione
- Benefits of essential oils for skin care
- All you need to know about Lip Gloss
- 18 Healthy Superfoods For Skin Whitening Naturally
- Auroma Remedies for Natural Pain Relief
- How do you start a hairdressing career?
- Emotional Benefits of Getting a Tantric Massage
- Just how To Preserve A Brazilian Deep Wave Hair
- What Your Moles Say About Your Personality
- How Can I Restore The Collagen In My Face
- 7 Benefits of Massage Therapy
- Tantric Massage Preparation and Techniques
- Everyday Skin Care
- 5 Ways to Cope with Hair Loss Easily
- Instant Results Tips To get ride of Dark Neck Skin
- Can You Receive Messages On Match Com Without Paying?
- Acupunture Therapies in North London
- The best Anti-Aging Products We Swear by
- Benefits of HEMP (NOT CBD) Oil for Eczema