Get the 10 Simple Steps To Understanding Counselling
- Author Mirek Kanik
- Published December 4, 2010
- Word count 468
Ever Felt Like You Should Talk With A Counsellor But Were To Afraid To Because You Didn't Understand What Counselling Was About?
Here are 10 Simple Steps To Understanding Counselling...
Therapeutic process of Counselling offers the client an opportunity to explore, clarify and discover (or re-discover) paths to a more fulfilling and satisfied living.
The Counselling Relationship Explained...
Counselling is a therapeutic process that offers fundamentals of good relationship that is based on :
Congruence... Genuine and transparent collaboration between therapist and the client aimed at finding solutions, being real, client is able to express feelings
Empathy...Therapist and the client involved in the same reality of understanding – mutual sensation of togetherness by tracking clients’ feelings as they expressing themselves
Unconditional Positive Regard...Therapeutic Approach that is non-judgemental focusing on strengths rather than client’s weaknesses. A warm acceptance of and caring for the client, no conditions
Respect...Acknowledging client’s competence that offer client becoming self reliant and able to change
Counselling is designed for the client to regain himself/herself as a Fully Functioning Person as the client is moving towards Self-Actaulization
Characteristics of the Fully Functioning person ( Rogers, 1954)
Awareness of all experience (All feelings are acceptable without being threatening)
Ability to live fully and flexibly (Openness versus rigidity)
Trusting oneself (Not totally guided by environmental trends)
A sense of freedom (Strong sense of internal personal power)
Creative living (Being oneself, enjoying new experience as enriching and meaningful)
Counselling or Psychotherapy
Q: is there a distinction?
A: in this day and age, not really.
Traditionally Psychotherapy was viewed as a remedy for patients with mental deficiencies and was mostly analytic. These days counselling and psychotherapy is used interchangeably. In 1942 Dr. Carl Rogers who developed the Person Centered Approach in therapy first used term Counselling to avoid conflict with then mostly of psychoanalytic approach, medical profession.
For the past 70 years Counselling has continued to enjoy increasing success.
The reason for Solution focused and person centred Counselling success is that it focuses on assets, skills, strengths and possibilities for better outcomes that embrace client’s growth and development.
Solution Focused Counselling is based on therapist’s Basic Principals for Ethical behaviour, as follows:
Beneficience...Therapist’s responsibility for promoting what is good for the client
Non-Maleficience...A commitment by the therapist to do no harm)
Autonomy...Therapist focuses on client’s self determination
Justice...Providing equal and fair treatment to all clients regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, culture, disability, socio-economic status, sexual preferences or religion.
Fidelity...Therapist being transparent and honest with the client not to deceive or exploit
So there you have it...Counselling demistified, so if you feel like taking the step and talking to a professional Solution Focused Counsellor then visit http://www.solutionfocusedcounselling.com.au and try out our online counselling service.
http://www.solutionfocusedcounselling.com.au/ Mirek Kanik is a Counsellor and Psychotherapist who graduated from the University of Notre Dame Australia with a Bachelor of Counselling followed by a Master's degree in Counselling. Mirek can be contacted on 61 8 6380 1177Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- TRUST YOUR GUT
- Subjective perception – Process
- Ayahuasca and the evolution of consciousness
- Why not live vicariously through Yourself?
- Reverse Aging Through the Art Quantum Physics
- What causes depression and how can you cope with it?
- Meet Psychiatrist to free from Mental Illness
- Are you humble or vain?
- "The one word you need in order to succeed"
- Wait for it... -- On the virtue of patience
- Don't be that guy...
- Investigative Hypnosis: Is It Effective Or Completely Bogus?
- Healing Childhood Emotional Wounds
- Depression: It's All in Your Head
- Taking Depression By The Horns!
- Effect of Brain Injuries
- Enneagram Type 4: Creativity is your hidden treasure
- How To Remember Your Dreams
- Natural Ways of Dealing With Depression
- Difference between psychosis and schizophrenia
- Dr Eric Amidi on the Power of Positive Thoughts
- How to Increase Your Self-Esteem and Increase Success
- What Everybody Ought To Know About Self – Hypnosis
- Seven Ways to Maintain Eternal Happiness
- Preventing and Solving Crime by Reading the Criminal Mind
- Getting things done and stop procrastinating
- Alternative ADHD Solutions
- How Psychiatry Is Misunderstood
- What Celebrities Suffer from OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?
- Important Facts about Mental Health