Long-Term Strategies for Alcohol Addiction Treatment
- Author Laszeros Chandlerson
- Published February 21, 2012
- Word count 541
Clinical alcohol addiction treatment helps thousands of alcoholics make lasting recoveries every year. Breakthroughs in neuroscience and psychology have allowed addiction specialists to develop extremely effective alcohol addiction treatment methods. The effectiveness of these treatments lies in their long-term application.
Even the longest and most intense treatment programs last only three months. Alcoholism is an incurable disease, however, and lasting sobriety takes constant effort. Here are some of the long-term recovery strategies addicts learn during alcohol addiction treatment.
During individual counseling sessions, alcoholics uncover the root causes of their addictions and identify the people, places, and physical objects which trigger their alcohol use. By changing their lifestyles to avoid these triggers, alcoholics can minimize their cravings.
Coping with Cravings
Even addicts who constantly practice avoidance will sometimes experience cravings. This is especially true for alcoholics, since alcohol is legal, socially acceptable, and widely used. Using the strategies they learn during cognitive-behavioral therapy, alcoholics can adjust their attitudes and rationally think through emotionally tough situations involving alcohol.
Healthy Family Lives
A loving, sober home environment is one of the most important aspects of many alcoholics' long-term recoveries. Most rehab clinics employ family therapy to help alcoholics and their relatives create a healthy family dynamic. It is crucial that all parties involved continue to practice what they learn during these counseling sessions.
Most addicts find comfort and peace of mind by searching for a higher power or greater purpose in life. This doesn't necessarily have to involve organized religion - spiritual endeavors such as meditation and personal reflection work just as well.
Physical stressors can often exacerbate the emotional problems which lead to relapse. Thankfully, alcoholics can maintain positive, healthy mental states by taking great care of their bodies. Proper nutrition helps to maintain high energy levels and proper hormonal balances. Vigorous exercise also elevates mood through the release of endorphins. In fact, many fitness enthusiasts think of their exercise as a kind of drug-free high.
Making New Friends
One of the most difficult aspects of alcohol addiction treatment is cutting ties with friends who still drink heavily. Because alcohol is such a large part of American culture, this can be even more difficult for alcoholics than for people addicted to illegal drugs.
However, most rehab clinics teach alcoholics strategies for making sober friends and repairing damaged relationships. It is crucial that alcoholics continue to practice these strategies once they leave their clinics. Close human connection is crucial for long-term happiness. Friends also provide addicts a healthy outlet for talking about their problems and receiving honest feedback about their behaviors.
Many alcoholics find that they need therapy for months or even years after their treatment programs are complete. Thankfully, most communities have support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous. These groups help thousands of addicts across the country stay sober by placing members into accountability partnerships. People who may succumb to alcohol cravings on their own can support each other and offer greater confidence and strength in the face of temptation.
If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, click the links below to find treatment today. Alcoholism is a serious neurological condition, but an alcohol addiction treatment program can help you turn your life around.
Click here for one of the most powerful Drug Addiction Treatment programs in the country.
Click here if you require an intensive Alcohol Addiction Treatment program. We're standing by 24 hours per day - call now for a free, confidential consultation.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- The Psychdiversity of Cults
- Men at age 59: Going forward or looking back
- The power of Dopamine on your psyche
- TRUST YOUR GUT
- Subjective perception – Process
- Ayahuasca and the evolution of consciousness
- Why not live vicariously through Yourself?
- Reverse Aging Through the Art Quantum Physics
- What causes depression and how can you cope with it?
- Meet Psychiatrist to free from Mental Illness
- Are you humble or vain?
- "The one word you need in order to succeed"
- Wait for it... -- On the virtue of patience
- Don't be that guy...
- Investigative Hypnosis: Is It Effective Or Completely Bogus?
- Healing Childhood Emotional Wounds
- Depression: It's All in Your Head
- Taking Depression By The Horns!
- Effect of Brain Injuries
- Enneagram Type 4: Creativity is your hidden treasure
- How To Remember Your Dreams
- Natural Ways of Dealing With Depression
- Difference between psychosis and schizophrenia
- Dr Eric Amidi on the Power of Positive Thoughts
- How to Increase Your Self-Esteem and Increase Success
- What Everybody Ought To Know About Self – Hypnosis
- Seven Ways to Maintain Eternal Happiness
- Preventing and Solving Crime by Reading the Criminal Mind
- Getting things done and stop procrastinating
- Alternative ADHD Solutions