What is Behavior-Based Goal Setting?
- Author Peggy Everson
- Published January 26, 2019
- Word count 408
When we think of goal setting, we usually think of things that envision a specific outcome. Some examples include:
• Lose 20 pounds.
• Increase income by 10%.
• Buy a larger house/newer vehicle.
• Run a marathon.
• Save money for college.
Of course, these are just a few of the more common goals that people set for themselves. But what if we based them on changing behaviors instead of obtaining a specific outcome? Could we modify or completely change behaviors that would lead us to the desired outcome quicker, healthier, and with less stress? Some experts certainly think so.
Many times, when we set intentions, we focus on the negative, i.e. what we don’t want rather than what we do want. Behavior-based goals focus more on the behaviors we want to strengthen rather than the negative actions we want to remove. In strengthening the positive behaviors, we change the way we act and react in many situations – not just situations surrounding a target that is outcome-based. The ripple effect of creating more positive behaviors in our lives is wide-reaching, affecting far more than just what we may have had in mind when creating the goal.
Many businesses today are focusing on behavior-based objectives rather than outcome-based ones, because of this ripple effect. Smart companies know that when behavior changes for the positive, the employee is happier not only at work but in their personal life and family life as well. A happier employee is a more productive employee. So managers are learning to integrate behavior-based goals at each employee review.
This type of target-setting isn’t seen just in the office, either. Personal trainers, life coaches, psychologists, therapists, and so many other professions are adding behavior-based goal setting to their repertoire of techniques. This helps those in these industries to help their clients reach success, whatever that may mean to them.
Targets that change behaviors can be seen as a kind of intermediate goal that helps one achieve outcome-based objectives easier, faster, and with more residual positive effects. A positive behavior that is strengthened in order to reach a goal is going to be strengthened in every situation where that behavior is utilized.
Try setting a few behavior-based goals of your own and you’ll see that positively changing a behavior really helps in so many different areas of your life. The results are great, and your new positive behaviors will serve you well for the rest of your life.
Certified/Strategic lifestyle/business coach, Professional Organizer, People Problem Solver, Small business owner, Rescue Dog Lover. Got a problem? Let's talk!
Superior Organized Solutions
Transforming the lives of individuals and entrepreneurs, through coaching and personality profiling!Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Decision Making and Wisdom
- What to Ask Before You Hire A Chicago Life Coach
- 7 Steps Goal Setting System
- 5 Productivity Hacks To Get More Done
- Six Ingredients of a Perfect Goal
- How to Get Freelance Writing Job
- What is your true passion [Self assessment guide]
- A New Year & A New Career
- Museums and the Marathon Man
- Start Again Today
- Reaching Your Goals Begins Here
- What is Your Word-of-the-Year for 2015?
- Essential Life Skills You Could Master This Summer
- Enhance Self Esteem - How Your DNA Could Be Involved?
- Youngest Entrepreneurs - Keeley Tillotson and Erika Welsh
- How To Generate Ideas For Greatness
- "Life With Woody" ten inspiring quotes than can strengthen your self
- Conquer The Obstacles to Achieving Your Goals In Life
- Poor Qualities to Avoid If you'd like to Realize All your Goals
- Goal Setting / Where Do You Want To Be In Your Life?
- Ten Surefire Ways to get frustrated about visualization or fail at it
- How To Apply The Law Of Attraction To achieve your goals and become A Millionaire
- How To Create A Vision Board And Attract Your Goals
- Stop Existing And Start Living!
- Be SMART when Setting Goals
- Create Greater Success with Effective Goal Setting
- Helping Others to Progress Creates Business Success
- Rear View Mirror
- Truly Accomplishing Goals that Matter