Social uncertainty weakens Latvia
- Author Viktors Domburs
- Published February 9, 2019
- Word count 370
The latest data of the Central Statistical Bureau (CSB) show that at the beginning of 2018 population of Latvia accounted for 1 million 934 thousand, which is 15.7 thousand people fewer than a year ago.
Another survey conducted in 2018 by the CSB, shows that the share of Latvia’s population exposed to the risk of poverty grew by 1.2 percentage points from a year before to 446,000 people.
CSB representatives said that the monthly at-risk-of-poverty threshold went up to EUR 367 per one-person household (EUR 330 monthly in 2016). In households consisting of two adults with two children aged under 14 years the monthly at-risk-of-poverty threshold reached EUR 770 in 2017 (EUR 694 in 2016).
Dry statistics hides awful things. One forth of the population that is about 400 thousand can’t enjoy a normal life. According to the survey, the worst situation is in Latgale where 39.2 percent of residents live at-risk-of-poverty.
The striking fact is the largest at-risk-of-poverty rate fixed in large families (couples with three or more children) (20.5 percent). Paradoxically how could a European state allow its children to starve and deprive of hope for basic needs, such as food, clothes and good education. The conclusion is disappointing: depriving people of hope for normal life, the state authorities deprive Latvia of future. Thus, there is nothing surprising in population outflow.
What does all this mean? It means that Latvians are so poor, that they can’t think about something but food. They can’t be fully engaged in political, cultural or other spheres of life. They are not capable to support their children or parents. They exist, not live. That is probably the main reason for Latvians’ political apathy.
Otherwise how to explain the protracted process of government formation, social problems. The only sphere that flourishes is defence. Latvia is one of a handful of NATO countries that spends 2 per cent on defence with more than 20 other members missing that goal. Thus, the government increases the defence spendings but does not pay enough attention to social problems.
Is it not a normal state of affairs. The result may be devastating: there will be modern military vehicles and equipment, but will be no one to serve in the armed forces. Poor people have no desire to defend their poverty, they have NOTHING to defend.
My name is Viktors Domburs. I was born in Latvia. Now I am an author for The Baltic WordArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Politicians Totally Ignore the Only Free Market Solution to America's Economic Crisis!
- Arrogance in Ignorance – The Republic is in Danger - Censorship
- Phony Appeals to Fallacies of Pretentious Squeals
- Rally 'Round The Flag? We The People
- Pathology of the decadent Few
- The Wiener Theory – Human Devolution Query
- Mera Jism Meri Merzi--Negative Feminism
- The Least Worse Presidential Candidate? Trump, Biden, Sanders, Warren, Yang, Buttitieg, Bloomberg?
- Europe suffers from excessive care on the part of the U.S.
- How to Properly Insult a Democrat- Voters Guide for GenXYZ, Millennials and some Boomers too.
- Who really defends the Baltic States?
- Two-faced Lithuanian politics
- Do Something
- UNRWA Under Fire
- Random Thoughts About War
- A New View of Crime and Punishment
- Freedom of Speech in a Diverse World
- Greed in our Time
- About Media and Influence
- The U.S.: Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia cost $125 million
- No one will deter Russia in the Baltic region
- Give people mansions because they can breathe, and because they can count to 10
- What influence does print media have on elections?
- UAE sponsors controversial anti-Qatar conference in London
- Idi Amin’s Reign of Terror, Trial and Error
- Our Modern Plight: An Observation Into Our Current State in Time & How It Affects Us All
- Largest U.S. Oil & Gas Source Discovered - No Motivation To Get It
- A Challenge to Our Two Candidates – Why Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton MUST Read This Book
- The Muslims in India are Blackmailing The Indian Majority in the Name of Cow Slaughter.