Greed in our Time
- Author June Stepansky
- Published June 16, 2019
- Word count 513
"Greed is Good !"--from the movie "Wall Street"
More than 2000 years ago the wise and famous scholar Hillel wrote " If I am not for myself who will be for me. If I am only for myself, what am I?"
Recently there have been people and corporations in the news who have been only for themselves with no regard for the damage their greed has done to others. This list includes schemers like Madoff, many bankers, unscrupulous insurance companies, dictators, politicians whose only goal is to accumulate vast amounts of money. For these groups of people it is no longer about being more secure or supporting one’s family. It’s about unlimited accumulation. Greed is rapidly becoming an illness and an addiction as deadly as drugs. If this were an individual addiction we would not need to examine so closely what is happening, but when so many of these individuals and large corporations steal money that rightfully belongs to other people then it becomes legalized theft. We all can see how someone like Madoff stole from others, but it is harder to determine when insurance companies charge higher premiums than they should or bankers higher rates than they should or when politicians take money from corporations to vote for legislation which denies ordinary citizens their lawful rights. These individual and corporate actions are just as much a theft as a criminal robbing a bank. When a dictator or leader steals from his people more money than he will ever be able to use in many lifetimes, than we need to look at what drives these greedy people to do what they do.
Why do these enormously rich people continue to steal? There is a subconscious drive that impels them to search for more and more power to enhance their self-esteem and to gain the admirations of others. Often it is the only way that they can feel admired and loved and this neurotic need often originates in an underlying feeling of low self-esteem. Corporate stealing is all about making the most money that’s possible without regard to injuries this may cause to others. Even our own societal values contribute to these neurotic drives of individuals and corporations for more power and money because most of us still admire and pay homage to those who are rich, and we don’t always question or care about how they earned it. So we too become a part of this worldwide illness. How can we begin to curb these greedy people from stealing from us all? We must of course watch them much more carefully and hold those who steal to a higher accountability. We must also build a new value system that does not admire those who become rich at the expense of others.
How different the world would be for all of us if the following wise words became the universal mantra for a better and more just society--- " If I am not for myself who will be for me. If I am only for myself, what am I? If not now, when?
June Stepansky is a published writer and poet who writes books and articles about happiness, self-improvement and social and political issues.
email@example.comArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Politicians Totally Ignore the Only Free Market Solution to America's Economic Crisis!
- Arrogance in Ignorance – The Republic is in Danger - Censorship
- Phony Appeals to Fallacies of Pretentious Squeals
- Rally 'Round The Flag? We The People
- Pathology of the decadent Few
- The Wiener Theory – Human Devolution Query
- Mera Jism Meri Merzi--Negative Feminism
- The Least Worse Presidential Candidate? Trump, Biden, Sanders, Warren, Yang, Buttitieg, Bloomberg?
- Europe suffers from excessive care on the part of the U.S.
- How to Properly Insult a Democrat- Voters Guide for GenXYZ, Millennials and some Boomers too.
- Who really defends the Baltic States?
- Two-faced Lithuanian politics
- Do Something
- UNRWA Under Fire
- Random Thoughts About War
- A New View of Crime and Punishment
- Freedom of Speech in a Diverse World
- About Media and Influence
- The U.S.: Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia cost $125 million
- Social uncertainty weakens Latvia
- No one will deter Russia in the Baltic region
- Give people mansions because they can breathe, and because they can count to 10
- What influence does print media have on elections?
- UAE sponsors controversial anti-Qatar conference in London
- Idi Amin’s Reign of Terror, Trial and Error
- Our Modern Plight: An Observation Into Our Current State in Time & How It Affects Us All
- Largest U.S. Oil & Gas Source Discovered - No Motivation To Get It
- A Challenge to Our Two Candidates – Why Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton MUST Read This Book
- The Muslims in India are Blackmailing The Indian Majority in the Name of Cow Slaughter.