A New View of Crime and Punishment
- Author June Stepansky
- Published June 16, 2019
- Word count 422
Whether we live in poor areas or more affluent environments, we are all affected by the crime around us and the fear it engenders in all of us.
Long ago people viewed crime in a more simplistic way. There were good people and bad people and the bad people needed to be punished and crime would then disappear. That has not happened. When criminals are punished they do not ordinarily stop being criminals.
New information has taught us about the relationship of cause and effect. There is still a dialogue going on about nurture versus nature, but no authority will deny that poverty, environment or bad parenting play a large role in producing individuals who have lost any hope that they can survive as productive citizens of our society. It is very easy for young people to get caught up in the current drug culture and make serious mistakes that can have lasting consequences in their lives. For various reasons, minorities are at particular risk in our culture. These early mistakes must not be allowed to ruin our young people's entire lives. Our laws must begin to reflect the reality of the lives that young people are exposed to and treat these young offenders with understanding and compassion.
According to current statistics, it costs an average of $33,000 a year to keep one prisoner in jail. How much better it would be to spend that money on preventative measures like better counseling, better recreational facilities, better parenting classes and better job training programs for young people who are at risk.
For those people who are already in prison and will one day be paroled, wouldn't it be wiser to give them counseling and job training and get them ready to live productively instead of warehousing and punishing them and then throwing them back on the streets to become a danger to us again?
We must change our own view of these vulnerable people in our society. They are people who, because of the circumstances of their lives, are not able to make a living, who cannot control their emotions or who feel a sense of hopelessness. Instead of taking revenge, we must begin to find the cure for this disease and treat this like any other chronic illness with tolerance and understanding and wise life-changing programs.
By doing these things, we will perhaps begin to make some inroads on the problems of crime, drug addiction, family violence and insure a future of healthier families, safer communities and ultimately more hope for us all.
June Stepansky is a published writer and poet who writes about happiness, self-improvement and social and political firstname.lastname@example.orgArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Politicians Totally Ignore the Only Free Market Solution to America's Economic Crisis!
- Arrogance in Ignorance – The Republic is in Danger - Censorship
- Phony Appeals to Fallacies of Pretentious Squeals
- Rally 'Round The Flag? We The People
- Pathology of the decadent Few
- The Wiener Theory – Human Devolution Query
- Mera Jism Meri Merzi--Negative Feminism
- The Least Worse Presidential Candidate? Trump, Biden, Sanders, Warren, Yang, Buttitieg, Bloomberg?
- Europe suffers from excessive care on the part of the U.S.
- How to Properly Insult a Democrat- Voters Guide for GenXYZ, Millennials and some Boomers too.
- Who really defends the Baltic States?
- Two-faced Lithuanian politics
- Do Something
- UNRWA Under Fire
- Random Thoughts About War
- Freedom of Speech in a Diverse World
- Greed in our Time
- About Media and Influence
- The U.S.: Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia cost $125 million
- Social uncertainty weakens Latvia
- No one will deter Russia in the Baltic region
- Give people mansions because they can breathe, and because they can count to 10
- What influence does print media have on elections?
- UAE sponsors controversial anti-Qatar conference in London
- Idi Amin’s Reign of Terror, Trial and Error
- Our Modern Plight: An Observation Into Our Current State in Time & How It Affects Us All
- Largest U.S. Oil & Gas Source Discovered - No Motivation To Get It
- A Challenge to Our Two Candidates – Why Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton MUST Read This Book
- The Muslims in India are Blackmailing The Indian Majority in the Name of Cow Slaughter.