- Author Martina Smith
- Published January 27, 2020
- Word count 535
A leash is one of the essential tools that every dog owner needs to have. A dog leash does more than just keeping your dog close to you when going for a walk; it gives your dog the freedom to explore while at the same time keeping him safe. In fact, in most states, not keeping your dog on a leash when it is outside is against the law. In this article, we are going to tell you everything you need to know about dog leashes, including various types available, their purpose, and their importance.
What exactly is a dog leash?
dog leash is a piece of rope or chain that is made of nylon, chain, or leather that is attached to the collar to control the dog’s movement.
What is the primary purpose of a dog leash?
The primary purpose of a dog leash is to control the dog’s movement when it is on public property. It helps to prevent your dog from trespassing to other people's property during a walk. It also helps to control the dog’s behavior by preventing it from jumping on people that you encounter while taking a walk with the dog.
Types of dog leash
· Retractable leash
A retractable dog leashes feature a thin, tension cord inside a plastic handle that is controlled with a locking mechanism. They also have a contoured grip that makes it easy to control the dog’s movement. Retractable leash length ranges from 10 to over 20 feet. Their variable length and flexibility allow the dog to explore more while on walks.
· Slip-on leash
A slip leash is similar to a regular leash. The only difference is this it has a metal ring in the end instead of a clasp. All that you need to do is insert the handle side via the metal ring, and the dog’s head will go through the loop.
· Adjustable leash
Adjustable leashes are similar to regular leashes, but they have multiple loops along the leash that allows the clasp to either shorten or lengthen the leash
· Webbing dog leash
Webbing dog leashes are just like standard leashes, only that they made of webbing, a strong fabric that is often used in place of nylon. Most dog owners prefer webbing dog leashes because they are incredibly strong and durable
· Short tab leash
Just as their name suggests, short dog leashes have a small rope and mainly used to help manage dogs in tight spaces, like controlling the dog at the vet.
· Short braided leash
Short braided leashes are similar to short tab leashes; they are both short. The only difference is that short braided leash is made of braids.
Pros of dog leashes
They prevent dogs from chasing people, other animals, or bikes.
It helps make the bond between you and your dog stronger
It is an excellent identification tool. It shows that the dog has an owner
It makes relocation easier
It prevents you from landing in trouble, especially if you live in a state where it is a law to use a dog leash
Cons of dog leashes
They prevent dogs from exploring as they wish
They can injure the dog if not used correctly
Martina Smith has always loved animals, especially when she got her own dogs. She really enjoys learning more about dogs in general, enjoys sharing what she has learned and continues to learn, and she helps run a website that promotes Dog Training Equipment browse their selection now!Article source: http://articlebiz.com
- Things You Need to Consider Before Adopting a Dog
- Reasons why grooming your dog is good for you and the dog
- Best practices for pet-sitting
- Benefits of Owning a Dog
- The Benefits of Training Dogs with E-Collars
- Causes and Effects of Dog Anxiety
- Major Key Considerations to choosing a Dog
- Ways Reduce Dog's Separation Anxiety
- Facts about Yorkshire Terriers
- How To Choose The Right Dog Food To Optimize Your Dog's Health
- How To Fend Off Sexual Mounting By Your Puppy
- Pros and Cons of Dog chewing on animal bones vs. Artificial Bones
- The Pros and Cons of Using E-collar vs. Leash
- What to Look for in a Dog Friendly Apartment
- Top 5 Benefits of the Dog Agility Training
- Teaching Your Dog to Settle
- 15 Basic Tips to Take Care of your Dog
- Things to Consider Before Buying a Labrador Puppy
- 10 basic tips to take care of your dog
- Hiring a professional to install my dog fence vs. DIY?
- Keeping Your Dog Safe While Traveling In A Car?
- German Shepherd Dogs: General Characteristics
- Coconut oil for the dog: 4 application tips for the natural home remedy
- The Perfect City for Pets and People
- Dealing With Swollen Dog Paws: Treatment & Prevention with MyPamperedPup
- How stress can affect your dog's sleep and health
- Puppy Training Tips: How to Set Your New Puppy Up for Success
- Recall Training: How to Get a Dog to Come When You Call
- Crate Training a New Puppy: Tips and Tools for Setting Up Your Pup