The Continuing Fight for Equality
- Author June Stepansky
- Published August 23, 2021
- Word count 535
“We hold these truths to be self-evident. That all men are created equal. That they are endowed, by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."-- Thomas Jefferson 1801-1809
The congress will be voting soon on the voting rights Bill HR1—the For the People Act. Why are we still fighting for equality and the right to free access to voting for all of our citizens in 2021.The Republicans in state legislatures in many states are passing bills to limit access to voting. They have already passed over 200 bills to do that. In a democracy that is unacceptable and limits all of our rights and ultimately will destroy our democracy. We, the people, cannot allow them to do this. That is why voting rights bill HR1 must pass and be a protection for us all.
The United States and the world have been fighting discrimination for as long as people have walked on this earth. It has been the Catholics against the Protestants, discrimination against the Jews, Jews in conflict with Palestinians, crimes against Chinese workers and other Asians, The Crusades--Christians against the Muslims. Arab tribes against each other. intolerance between whites and blacks. The truth is that people do not like or trust others who are different than they are. It takes understanding and wisdom to learn to get along even in loving families.
We have come to a point in our world that we must learn to live together in peace and harmony or we will all ultimately die together because unless we learn to come together and solve our difficult problems together this civilization will ultimately disintegrate through nuclear destruction or unaddressed natural disasters like climate change.
Most of our religions have all tried to teach us to love and respect each other, but unfortunately some have also caused us to distrust anyone who is different.. Our moral and ethical leaders have worked hard to bring us closer to becoming more tolerant of differences. We cannot and should not force other people, whether it is our families or our fellow citizens, to think and feel as we do, but we must learn to respect the opinions and the choices of others as long as they also respect our opinions and our choices. We must all learn to make the effort to live together with respect and in peace. I don't know what the religions or political opinions or races of my neighbors on my street are, but we have all lived side by side for many years—each living the life that suits them and we are a good community.
Each of us must now look into our own hearts and root out the distrust that we might feel for those who are different from us and begin to live with more respect and tolerance for every human being in the US and in the world. We must reject words and deeds of intolerance and hate whether they come from our families, our religions, our communities, our TV's or our social media. Respect and tolerance for all human beings is the only option that will ultimately save our democracy and our planet.
June Stepansky is a published writer and poet who writes books and articles about happiness, self-improvement and social and political issues. Her poetry has been published in the literary magazine Vol No 21 Childhood and in Vol No 22. Poems that Need to be Explained.
A Different Voice—free self-help book
Kaleidoscope—free poetry bookhttps://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Escalation in the Israel-Palestine Conflict: Unpacking the Recent Hamas Attack
- What Frosts My Nuts: The End Time Has Come
- What Frosts My Nuts: Nixon had Big Balls but not P.B.J.
- The 2024 presidential election is already over.
- The Clown King of East Africa
- The Concerning Power Play of New York's Attorney General: A Threat to Its Politician and New Yorkers
- Who has the Right to Control another Adult's Life Without their Consent?
- Can the Charter of Democracy Save Pakistan’s Imperiled Democracy?
- Russian-Ukrainian war through the eyes of Linda Athanasiadou
- Is Iran in a revolutionary situation?
- Why We Must Be Masters of Our Counter Culture
- It is more Important than Ever that we Guard against Selfish and Criminal Charismatic Leaders.
- THE SUPERPOWER
- What Actions can we Take to Prevent our Country from Becoming an Autocracy?
- Pop Off Pms
- Comparison of Constitutional Review between France and United States
- How can America Fulfill its Promise and Become a more Compassionate and Democratic Country?
- A Very Reasonable Speech for Governors of Florida
- What’s the purpose of business? It’s important to ask.
- Be a Human Rights Advocate
- Putin's chef Prigozhin starting a war in Kremlin?
- Vacuum-Up - the reality. Trickel Dow the lie
- Dangerous New Epidemics in our Country and in the World--Hate and Anger
- Silicon Valley & Biden’s Handlers VS Elon Musk & Freedom of Speech
- A Pall Settles Over America
- Nkrumah Effect And It Implications On Ghana's Economy
- An Exciting Year
- How Can We Tell The Difference
- Does The UK’s Brexit Plan Breach International Law?
- The Diary of Anya Verkhovskaya