The History of Croydon, Victoria in Australia

Travel & LeisureTravel Spot

  • Author Craig Payne
  • Published July 16, 2022
  • Word count 519

Croydon is a city in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia found about 28 km east of Melbourne's CBD. Croydon carries a population of nearly 27,000 individuals. The property that eventually became Croydon was first utilised back in the 1840’s by settlers for the grazing of farm livestock. The first road through the location was known as Sawmill road because of a sawmill close by. Later it was altered to Oxford Road and in the 1900’s that it was changed to what it is identified these days as Mt Dandenong Road. The location itself was first referred to as White Flats since the area was heavily populated by a coarse silvery-white grass. The naming of Croydon was given to it with the Lacey family who came from Essex, England who called it after the Croydon in the UK which was Mrs. Lacey's home town. Near the current Main St shopping area is a road called after the Lacey family.

Parcels of property in the region were first surveyed in 1868 and also the location was first officially habituated with the region concentrating on the farming of sheep, beef and dairy. There have been also some sawmills set up. Following that, there were orchards which incorporated cherries, apples, pears, peaches as well as plums which did well. A number of the present-day street names close by Croydon now mirror that earlier uses of the area.. In 1874 Cobb & Co started a service using horses and carts to the area. A rail track to the region was opened up on 1 December 1882 and the train station was called Warrandyte that was not really actually in Warrandyte that was confusing as that region would be a horse and coach journey 10km away. On 1 August 1884 it was renamed to be known as the Croydon train station. In the mid-1880s Mr James Hewish developed his homestead and commenced a number of other business ventures which involved a general retailer, news agency, butchers shop along with a hotel. Also, he set up several orchard trees. The Croydon Post Office was launched on 1 December 1883. The close by Nelson's Hill Post Office opened in 1902 and was later relabeled Burnt Bridge in 1979. On Mt Dandenong Road in 1908 Croydon Hall was constructed. It was eventually declared and gazetted as being a town in 1912.

In 1920 a Monday marketplace was began in Croydon including livestock, chickens, birds along with other small animals. It was really a known landmark in the area as well as a favorite assembly place for locals from neighbouring suburbs before the site was redeveloped in the 80s. The market was eventually shut down in 2012. For administrative, Croydon was originally an important part of the thing that was then the Shire of Lillydale, but in 1957 a demand was presented by authorities for Croydon to go out of the Shire of Lillydale and be its own overseeing enterprise. The City and Shire of Croydon was incorporated in May 1961 and was declared as a City in 1971. Afterwards, it was combined, in addition to the City of Ringwood being the City of Maroondah in 1994. Nowadays, the Main Street of Croydon is a successful area centre with nearly 200 store.

This article has been viewed 480 times.

Rate article

This article has a 5 rating with 2 votes.

Article comments

There are no posted comments.