A House Divided
- Author Eric Dunbar
- Published April 24, 2010
- Word count 632
America is a great nation. In fact, in my opinion, America is the greatest nation on planet earth. You might ask, "What makes America so great?" I would answer, short and straight to the point, "The American people!" Embodied in the very being of the American people is the endurance of generations that will not let the nation fail or give up.
We have seen much turmoil and many adverse conditions have arisen against us as a nation, but the American people labored hard, fought long, and united together, to overcome all of the adversity that was meant to destroy us.
In times past this togetherness has kept us strong and united, giving meaning to a nation that took pride in its name, the United States of America. But in 2010, that same America has now become a house divided, and unless we can once again unite for the common cause of attacking the nation’s problems instead of attacking each other, we will all self destruct.
We are a nation that wastes too much time bickering among ourselves to be of any good to each other, and although most Americans speak unity, there are a great number of Americans who only have self-seeking motives, and will stop short of nothing to accomplish their own ends, even if it means selling out to the very things that will eventually destroy us.
Racism is one enemy that has been a thorn in the side of America since the nation was founded. Yet there are those in America who would say that racism is no longer a problem. But contrary to popular belief, racism is very much alive today. There are still places in America, like Jena, LA; where near riot conditions erupted because of a "white" tree, where black students were not allowed to sit during the heat of the day. Can you believe that—a white tree in the 21st Century! Sounds like something out of a 1950s time capsule.
Another enemy can be found hidden in America’s segregated political parties, Democrats and Republican, each having their own right wing extremists and personal agendas. To these political parties it is all about liberalism vs. conservatism, but to millions of Americans the agendas of the two divided political parties is translated into joblessness, homelessness, and hungriness.
Did we not as voters elect members of the United States Senate and the Congress to represent us? But after the election did not those whom we elected adorn themselves in garments of selfishness and masks of greediness only to forget us? Yet in their lies they each coin the phrase, "We represent the American people." But do they represent America as a whole, or just rich America?
But the biggest enemy of all in America is greed, all brought about by tax laws that favor the rich, not to mention rising medical and insurance costs. The rich are getting richer while keeping the poor in a place where they will never move out of poverty.
All the while Congress is fighting a President who inherited an economy already in shambles, and it is evident in their actions that the fight is not about helping the American people. It is about a political party who act like pouting children whose only motive is to get their way, and when they do not, they rebel with their resurrected "Tea Parties." These Tea Baggers should all be held accountable for promoting division among Americans based on their own selfish motives.
The house that once was united is now divided, and this division is built on a false pride. If we don’t unite America the outcome and the future of our beloved and great country shall be one of destruction. For it is written, "Pride goes before the fall."
There are no posted comments.
- Benefits of a Paper Ballot System for State and National Elections
- Signs of the 70's
- Who is Responsible for the Mass Shootings in America?
- Bigotry Doesn't Belong in Medical Care
- Young People, Women, Independents, Minorities-- You Can Save our Democracy
- Why We Need an Independent President
- A Question for Moderate Republicans
- The 5 Reasons It’s Time for School Choice
- Fake News
- Politics at Trinity High School
- How Zelensky left Mariupol Ukraine open for Russia to come in?
- Explaining Civil Litigation
- There is a problem with Ukraine
- Cyberwar History and Ukraine
- We Have Met the Enemy and He Is Us
- Cowardice of Culture for Collusive Consensus - 1
- American Roads
- A Society in Transition
- The Assault on Science
- The Evolution and Effects of Quebec Independence Movement
- Covid Conspiracies and the Animal Rights community in Victoria, Australia
- Democracy in the Crosshairs
- The Continuing Fight for Equality
- A Question of Survival
- HESTON RUSSELL OP-ED - BUREAUCRATIC BOX-TICKING
- American Aristocracy and Societal Devolution
- Tragedy, Fear and Terrorism Arrogantly Near
- Leadership in an Era of Leaderless Pretension - 1
- The Irony Of Commemorating The Sharpeville Massacre Amidst Ongoing Police Brutality
- 1. Domestic terrorism in the US.