Laptop Theft Prevention
- Author Gad Alexander
- Published December 2, 2010
- Word count 479
Computers, especially the portable ones such as netbooks and laptops, are highly vulnerable to theft as several businesses use the computing systems while travelling or use them as mobile offices.
The alarming rate at which the laptops are being stolen lately is a cause of concern, thanks to the a growing line of laptop theft prevention products that address designed to secure and recover your computer. Still there is no reason to get paranoid, you can take steps to prevent laptop theft and help ensure computer security.
Basic steps you need to take to ensure laptop security
Not to leave the laptop or PC in sight in vehicle that is not locked.
While travelling, carry the laptop in briefcase or anything that will not identify it as laptop to a third person. To carry a laptop in a computer or laptop bag is itself an invitation to the laptop thieves.
Carry the laptop along with you even if you have to leave it for a short break from a meeting or a conference or even at the hotel lounge.
Lock the laptop when you have no use with it in a closed cabinet or even secure it to your table or desk using a laptop lock.
Identify your laptop with unique markings with the help of acrylic paints or even use markings on the laptop case to identify it easily.
Keeping backing up all the data as frequent as possible and store the backed up data on a secure disk or any other means thereof.
Note the model as well as the serial number of the laptop, so to enable tracking it easily in case of theft (should the manufacturer be made aware of the number and the loss and should the thief take it to the manufacturer for any service the numbers will help identify your laptop).
Secure the laptop against theft
There are various laptop locks as well as other devices to deter anyone from running off with your laptop.
There are many laptop lock companies that manufacture big line of anti-theft laptop lock products that guarantee computer security. While a few manufacturers specialize in anti-theft products for various brands of laptops including laptop locks, laptop carts, etc such as for Apple iMac, Apple laptops, Dell laptops, HP/Compaq laptops etc.
To have a mobile alarm installed on the laptop is always a good idea
In general, the mobile alarms are designed to go as and when the sensors detect motion or mobility of the computer (when the laptop is moved off predetermined area). Although these are designed for theft protection of laptops, they are even used to secure PCs.
Use of laptop tracking devices
There are a good number of laptop tracking devices designed to help locate the stolen laptop incase of theft and there are also devices to protect the data stored on the laptop.
There are many online laptop locks stores but not all have the high-security good laptop locks. If you want one high security low profile laptop lock then the x-Trap laptop lock should be for you. From universal to specific laptop computer security hardware, the http://www.laptoplocks.com/ offers good computer security solutions.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Website security check: Tips on how to protect your website from hackers
- How will cyber threats evolve in 2020?
- When to choose red teaming over penetration testing: A guide to a robust cybersecurity program
- Protect your files with drive image backup software
- How Cloud Management Values Change Your Business
- The U.S. Government and Zero Day Vulnerabilities
- Spyware – Yet Another Cyber Menace
- Reset lost passwords in Windows with Active@ Password Changer
- Antivirus measures you should know when your PC is infected with a virus
- Security Fit For Royalty!
- Global VPN Use Is Booming But So Is Cyber-Censorship
- Things to do to make your business, cyber secure
- The new European data protection system
- Avoiding Disaster: Make Website and Business Asset Backups Mandatory
- 12 Ways to Keep Your Data & Identity Safe Online
- Associate With Avast Support USA To Shield PC Against Viruses And Malware
- Microsoft Office Customer Service for Office Setup
- What is All-czech browser hijacker and how to remove it
- Methods to delete Web-start.org from computer and browser
- What is Odin ransomware, how to decrypt .odin files
- How to remove Loadstart browser hijacker
- How to remove Tech-connect.biz from Google Chrome and all other browsers
- How to remove Alma Locker ransomware virus
- How to remove SOEASYSVC adware from your browser
- How to get rid of SafeSurf virus
- How to remove Cryp1 virus and to restore the encrypted files
- What is Social2Search, and how it differs from other adware
- How to remove Hohosearch adware from computer and browser
- Browser Hijackers, the Methods Of their Action And the Ways to Remove Them
- 5 Website Security Issues You Should Be Aware Of?