How To Choose The Best Firewall For You
- Author Mindy Matter
- Published December 23, 2010
- Word count 444
When choosing the best firewall software, there are several items to consider. The top considerations should be: Price, quality, easy to install and easy to use, and what does the product come with. You can rate these items in a personal order of importance.
Price is a major role player. It doesn’t do much good on a store shelf or internet site if you cannot afford the product. The item may have everything you’re looking for in a firewall, but, if it’s too expensive, then it’s not for you.
Quality is important, too. You need to make sure you are not purchasing a bootleg copy off a friend’s cousin’s boyfriend. This may sound funny, but it happens. Spend the time to research the quality of the product. Pirating is not worth it. Neither is spending money thinking you’re getting the real deal, only to find a homemade copy of something in your mailbox.
Easy to install should be a top contender on your wish list of things you’re considering. If it takes a computer tech to install it, then you will need to factor the cost of the tech into the product. In other words, let’s say hypothetically the product costs $50, and it takes a tech 2 hours to install it at a rate of $50 per hour. The product really just ran you $150. It pays to get an easy to install product.
Easy to use is a must! Now that you have the software installed, you need to be able to move around in the programs and use them. If the program is too technical, then you’re back at looking at tech rates again. Not to mention, you may not even know if it is working properly if it’s too difficult.
You want to make sure the firewall has antispyware and virus protection included. This stretches your spending dollar while making sure that your spyware and virus protection software are compatible with your firewall software. Also, if you are shopping online, make sure you look for ratings. Most sites will have a rating system for you to compare products against each other. Make sure you check out the warranty and satisfaction guarantee on the product, too. Some software products do not offer returns once a product is opened.
The last tip I would suggest is to take the time to buy a hard copy disk. Downloads are great and fast, however, if your system crashes, you're left with nothing afterwards. Then you have to repurchase the product. A little time and research on your part will be worth every cent in the long run.
There are no posted comments.
- Website security check: Tips on how to protect your website from hackers
- How will cyber threats evolve in 2020?
- When to choose red teaming over penetration testing: A guide to a robust cybersecurity program
- Protect your files with drive image backup software
- How Cloud Management Values Change Your Business
- The U.S. Government and Zero Day Vulnerabilities
- Spyware – Yet Another Cyber Menace
- Reset lost passwords in Windows with Active@ Password Changer
- Antivirus measures you should know when your PC is infected with a virus
- Security Fit For Royalty!
- Global VPN Use Is Booming But So Is Cyber-Censorship
- Things to do to make your business, cyber secure
- The new European data protection system
- Avoiding Disaster: Make Website and Business Asset Backups Mandatory
- 12 Ways to Keep Your Data & Identity Safe Online
- Associate With Avast Support USA To Shield PC Against Viruses And Malware
- Microsoft Office Customer Service for Office Setup
- What is All-czech browser hijacker and how to remove it
- Methods to delete Web-start.org from computer and browser
- What is Odin ransomware, how to decrypt .odin files
- How to remove Loadstart browser hijacker
- How to remove Tech-connect.biz from Google Chrome and all other browsers
- How to remove Alma Locker ransomware virus
- How to remove SOEASYSVC adware from your browser
- How to get rid of SafeSurf virus
- How to remove Cryp1 virus and to restore the encrypted files
- What is Social2Search, and how it differs from other adware
- How to remove Hohosearch adware from computer and browser
- Browser Hijackers, the Methods Of their Action And the Ways to Remove Them
- 5 Website Security Issues You Should Be Aware Of?