Headlight Restoration Tips: Dealing with Discoloration
- Author Zac Cuares
- Published February 27, 2011
- Word count 456
What’s your headlight lenses made of? Is it glass or plastic? Well if your car is a classic then your headlight must be made of glass but if it’s the latest racing car then your headlight must be made of plastic. Why is that so? Due to the demand that cars should be lighter and more aerodynamic, plastic material is the choice because it is very light and can be transformed into unlimited sizes and shapes, making it also cheaper than glass.
But have you inspected your headlights lately? Can you see the discoloration in your headlights? How did it happen?
• The plastic or polycarbonate lenses are porous material that expands so slightly when it gets hot. Since you are using your headlights, degradation of the lenses occurs ultimately.
• The heat it emits every time it is on and the heat of the day causes the pores to open allowing dirt and debris from the road to get in. When the dirt mix and react with other environmental factors like UV rays, acid rain, car exhaust and other chemicals used for maintaining your car, the plastic headlight lenses become oxidized, which then leads to lens discoloration.
• Lens discoloration transforms the clear, bright and shiny plastic to a dull yellow color that appears to be foggy or cloudy.
Having a discolored, foggy and cloudy headlight is not safe especially during the night or on a foggy winter day because less light will be able to pass through thus, reducing the visibility while driving. You need to be safe, so what will you do? Will you do an expensive replacement? Or will you deal with the discolored lenses?
To help you save the money it will cost to replace your headlights, proper maintenance of your headlights should be observed.
Check these tips to help restore and maintain headlights:
- Restore headlight lenses.
• Drip the headlight lens with soapy water ensuring enough soap in it.
• With a sandpaper sand the headlight and apply slight pressure. Ensure to keep the soapy water while sanding.
• Rinse and allow the headlights to dry.
Park your car in the shade or garage so that it would not be overly exposed to the heat of the sun; thus, there will be less oxidation.
Maintain the lens by washing, waxing and polishing every three months, this could avoid any damages to the headlight lens.
Take off the top layer of oxidized plastic by cleaning using a polish containing UV polymers or UV coating that could slow down the discoloration of the lens.
Safety first . Like what the saying goes if you’re drunk, don’t drive, maybe this will also hold true when you have a discolored headlight then don’t drive at night.
Let a skillful, professional headlight restoration Surfside technician repair your car's headlight. Head over to Dial1Auto.com where you are assured of a carefully and flawlessly done headlight restoration.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Useful Tips To Know When Installing And Removing A Car Battery
- Removing Graffiti in USA Made Easier
- The Best Service Of Clear Film Removal At JLN Overspray
- Process of hiring for the remove overspray from plastic service
- 5 Steps To Take When Involved In An Accident
- What Vehicle Repairs Can You Learn to Do?
- How to make sure your car doesn’t fail its MOT
- Do You Really Need a Regular Car Service?
- Car air conditioning problems? How to fix it
- Car Service Perth Advice: Home Maintenance Can Really Help
- How Easy-Run Engine Test Stands Shine Above the Rest
- Get the Best Automotive Repair Manual for You
- Blower motor resistor replacement
- Stepper Motor replacement for Nissan Tida / Livina /Teana
- COG LCD display Replacement
- ACC Unit LCD Display For Seat Leon / Toledo
- Commercial HVAC Tips to Save You Money this Summer
- Hire the certified technician for Edison heating repair
- Pièces détachées moto – Consider 3 important types!
- Replacing Excavator Components: OEM or Aftermarket Parts?
- The Advantages of Diesel
- Tips For Finding a Great Mechanic
- The Best Way To Go About Becoming A Mercedes-Benz Mechanic
- Build your garage's reputation on the quality of your automotive lift service
- 4 Factors to Consider When Replacing Factory Exhaust Tips
- Knowing How To Replace The Fuel Filter On Your Pickup Truck
- Jaguar S Type Shifter Part malfunction
- Auto Restoration 101: Essential Tips for Used Car Restoration
- What Do You Know About Car Restoration
- How Can I Find Cheap Car Tyres?