72 Hours can be a long time – so get organized!
- Author Jeannette Hay
- Published May 25, 2011
- Word count 459
Do you know that if a real emergency or major disaster occurs, like blackouts, floods, earthquakes (and YES Toronto sits on a fault line) bombings, gas explosions, nuclear power leaks and natural disasters you are expected to get organized and survive on your own without any info-structure help for 72 hours– that’s 3 days of an emergency? It can take 72 hours or more to mobilize a significant relief effort during an emergency by first responders such as police, fire and paramedics.
Estimates show that only 25% of the population are naturally organized, leaving the other 75% disorganized. So get it together! You only get one chance to get this right -So - prepare your own emergency kit - for your family, your animals and your business.
We can learn from the Americans who had to learn the hard way in 9/11 to never store your archival information or general backups in the same building where you work.
Do you know if your company has filled out an Business Emergency Preparedness Plan or Business Continuity Procedure or Business Continuity and Disaster Preparedness Plan and do you know what part you play in this? Just Google any of these names above and and you will get a flood of information and templates you can download for free to use that will save your company thousands of dollars in time and money should an emergency occur.
Prepare your home emergency kit. Prepare your family. This is a small but important point - make sure everyone in your household knows exactly where to find the emergency kit, what place to go as a safe haven if you are separated because by being prepared you will also allow the community resources and emergency workers to concentrate on the people who are in real urgent need. Also put an Emergency Kit in the trunk of your car.
Create a basic kit of the usual items such as flashlight, essential medications, copies of prescriptions and a cellular phone, battery-operated radio, food, water and blankets etc.
But to be fully prepared try these two helpful website - they will give a lists you can follow seamlessly to complete your emergency plan online, it only takes about 20 minutes and will produce a personalized plan you can print out :
Go to website "Get prepared" run by the government at: http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/index_e.asp
For safety tips go online to :
For how to prepare within Ontario, contact your Community Emergency Management Coordinator through your local municipal office or visit Emergency Management Ontario.
When it is all done - go out and celebrate knowing you have created more balance in your life and you have the future all planned out!
Jeannette Hay, Professional Organizer, Workshop Presenter, Chair of the Toronto Professional Organizers in Canada, Toronto Chapter and owner of Get Me Organized! Professional organizing company where she is known as the Time and Space Artist. 416-829-7052. www.getmeorganized.caArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- They Say, “What Are You Looking for in Your Next Job?” And You Say…What?
- Celebrate Recovery Appomattox
- Effective Tips to remember all that you studied
- Writings Don’t Come Naturally
- Can we enjoy playing chess more than video games?
- Effects of Insomnia on Health
- How to learn or improve English online and for free
- 5 Ways To Motivate Yourself
- Examining our Thoughts and Decisions
- Balance and Planning
- Love and Dependency
- Does your argument pass the equivalence test?
- The Unexamined Life
- Best guide to cut out hair in Photoshop
- 15 Reasons Why You Should Study Environmental Science
- How to Keep Your Workplace Neat & Clean
- Get Rid Of The Negativity In Your Life
- 3 Rules for Building Wealth That Have Been Around Since the 1800s
- How To Overcome Depression
- The 30 Minutes Magic Pill! Your Guide To Happiness
- It's ALL In The Believing
- Where to get ideas for cool content?
- Cross-cultural long-distance relationship advice
- Your Prosperity Today can Become Your Adversity Tomorrow: A Case Study of Zimbabwe
- Seeds of What?
- How forgiveness and empathy might harm you
- Replacing Your Stress Habit: Jest for Stress
- The One-Degree Shift
- The Power Of Constructive Impatience - A Key To Resiliency
- Be a Better Thinker When You Write Like This