How to Remove Keylogger From a PC – Your Handy Support Guide
- Author Monica Koudstaal
- Published May 26, 2011
- Word count 717
A keylogger is essentially a dangerous computer program intended to record every mouse movement and keystroke movement made by a user on the keyboard. Thus recorded data is saved or sent over the internet by the keylogger program to an already known remote host. Such a program runs silently in the PC’s background and uses a hardware device or software application that the user is completely unaware of. Some of the keylogger programs are highly advanced to capture all the computer activities and even take screenshots of whatever the information is on the screen. Further, these programs automatically start themselves as soon as the PC is turned on without requiring a user’s input at all.
How Dangerous can a keylogger be?
A keylogger can be extremely dangerous as it logs all your key input movements on the keyboard. You might be doing Net banking to send/receive payments or forwarding confidential attachments to your office; all the personal or confidential information would be secretly passed over to the intended attacker who would further misuse it for stealing money from your bank account or leaking the confidential information out to other sources.
Before we go through the instructions to remove keylogger files, we need to understand what kind of files they are and how to identify them. A keylogger file can bear any extensions such as ".exe", ".dll", ".Pif", and ".scr" etc. The.exe files are the commonest type of files used to communicate keylogger programs. The .scr files are the most difficult files to detect than the .exe files.
Below are the easy steps that should help you resolve the keylogger issues:
• Ensure that your PC is all up and running.
• Right click anywhere on your desktop’s taskbar, go to ‘Task Manager’.
• You can also press and hold ‘Ctrl’, ‘Alt’, and ‘Delete’ keys together on the keyboard to get to the ‘Task Manager’ window.
• When the ‘Task Manager’ window appears, click on the ‘Processes’ tab on the top.
• A list of all the running or hidden programs would be populated, identify the possible keylogger programs, if possible write it down and close the window.
• Then click on ‘Start’, go to ‘Control Panel’.
• A window containing multiple programs would be up in front, then click on ‘Add/Remove Programs’.
• Select the already identified program, click on ‘Change/Remove’ or just ‘Remove’ whatever option is there and follow the instructions to uninstall the program.
• Go back to the ‘Task Manager’ window and right click on the identified program.
• From the list of options, click on ‘Open Containing Folder’ and delete all the files associated with the identified program’s identity or name.
• Locate your hard drive (C:) with the help of ‘Windows search tool’.
• Search for all the files that resemble the same name as the keylogger program and remove all of them from the hard drive and the programs folder, make sure that you delete all the files of keylogger as they bear multiple identities.
• Ensure that the deletion process has completed and then restart your PC in order to let the changes take effect.
• When the PC is all up and running again, go to the ‘Start’ menu and then click on ‘Run’.
• In the ‘Run’ window, key in ‘regedit’ and press ‘OK’.
• The window will bring up all the registry entries of your PC, select the registry entries associated with the keylogger program and delete. (Most Imp: Before you go deleting the registry entries, you need to ensure that you have a backup of your entire registry directory. Deleting the important registry files would either prevent your PC from functioning properly or lead to a system crash.)
• After cleaning the registry directory, restart your PC.
• When again the PC is all up and running; recheck your ‘Task Manager’, startup configurations, and registry files in order to ensure that the keylogger program is completely removed from your PC.
The whole procedure demands the thorough knowledge of settings and registry files etc. in addition to patience. Though, it was the easiest process to resolve the keylogger program, if you still find yourself stuck with it then better contact a certified technical help and save your valuable time. There are a number of third-party service providers out there that provide online technical support services.
Having troubles with your Anti-Virus, need right technical assistance for installing that heavy but essential anti-virus? Your wait is over with V tech-squad live & dedicated 24/7 technical experts that fix your anti-virus/PC problems remotely without digging a hole in your pocket and wasting your precious time. Just a phone call away You can reach V tech-squad online technical support at their Toll Free No +1-877-452-9201 For US/CA.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Website security check: Tips on how to protect your website from hackers
- How will cyber threats evolve in 2020?
- When to choose red teaming over penetration testing: A guide to a robust cybersecurity program
- Protect your files with drive image backup software
- How Cloud Management Values Change Your Business
- The U.S. Government and Zero Day Vulnerabilities
- Spyware – Yet Another Cyber Menace
- Reset lost passwords in Windows with Active@ Password Changer
- Antivirus measures you should know when your PC is infected with a virus
- Security Fit For Royalty!
- Global VPN Use Is Booming But So Is Cyber-Censorship
- Things to do to make your business, cyber secure
- The new European data protection system
- Avoiding Disaster: Make Website and Business Asset Backups Mandatory
- 12 Ways to Keep Your Data & Identity Safe Online
- Associate With Avast Support USA To Shield PC Against Viruses And Malware
- Microsoft Office Customer Service for Office Setup
- What is All-czech browser hijacker and how to remove it
- Methods to delete Web-start.org from computer and browser
- What is Odin ransomware, how to decrypt .odin files
- How to remove Loadstart browser hijacker
- How to remove Tech-connect.biz from Google Chrome and all other browsers
- How to remove Alma Locker ransomware virus
- How to remove SOEASYSVC adware from your browser
- How to get rid of SafeSurf virus
- How to remove Cryp1 virus and to restore the encrypted files
- What is Social2Search, and how it differs from other adware
- How to remove Hohosearch adware from computer and browser
- Browser Hijackers, the Methods Of their Action And the Ways to Remove Them
- 5 Website Security Issues You Should Be Aware Of?