Be a Man
- Author Damien Dodd
- Published February 1, 2012
- Word count 468
What does it mean to be a man? Are there requirements to be a man? Is it necessary to you to be "considered" a man? These are very important questions that men may catch themselves asking. Unfortunately, answers to these questions are not that clear, and pondering them may be detrimental to one’s psyche.
There are certainly stereotypes about men and fathers, gender roles we fill, as well as societal pressures that can make men feel as though there are prescribed attributes and characteristics that are imperative in "being a man". They can influence men's perspectives on their appearance, the way they look at their career and most importantly their emotions. Understanding these pressures, both overt and covert, is necessary because they act on us, whether we like it or not. They may fuel our anxieties, insecurities and fears. Therefore, we must take them into account when deciding whether they will be incorporated into our own personal definition of "being a man".
Men more commonly identify themselves via their profession. "I am a doctor, lawyer or architect", at times, over-looking key roles as fathers, sons, friends and coworkers. Some of us put so much into our professional images that it comes at a cost to our relationships outside work. What effect does this have on those who have historically female-affiliated jobs like male nurses, airline attendants and hair-stylists? Are they not "real men"? What about those who are unemployed? How would they identify themselves?
Historically, men have been the "providers" or "breadwinners" of the household. This puts a great deal of pressure on men to be financially successful, not just enough for ourselves, but for our significant others and children. How does a man define himself if he is not the sole household income or primary "breadwinner"? Is he not a "provider"?
We are expected to be strong, brave and never to let our emotions get the best of us. We are told "real men don’t cry" or is it that a "real man is not afraid to cry". The point is that there are a great deal of conflicting perspectives regarding what it means to be a man, and there is no way to satisfy them all. If one allows others to dictate how they feel about themselves, they may expend a great deal of energy trying to appease other, making their own happiness a mirage.
We must decide for ourselves what attributes we think are necessary in "being a man". We must also be aware all of these pressures, because they act on us directly and indirectly. So, before you ask yourself, "Am I a man?" One must answer the question, "Is it important to me to "be a man"? And then, more importantly, am I happy with the type of man I am?
For more information on this and other subjects, feel free to contact Damien Dodd at the Lighthouse Emotional Wellness Clinic in Arlington Heights, IL at 121 S. Wilke Rd Suite 500. Check out the upcoming Men’s Group meeting on Thursday nights at 7pm starting March 3rd, 2011. Register now by calling (847) 253-9769 or email Damien personally at email@example.com.Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Living a Meaningful Life
- How Smiling More Can Benefit Your Well-Being
- Giving Up Utopia
- Decision Making and Wisdom
- What to Ask Before You Hire A Chicago Life Coach
- 7 Steps Goal Setting System
- 5 Productivity Hacks To Get More Done
- Six Ingredients of a Perfect Goal
- How to Get Freelance Writing Job
- What is your true passion [Self assessment guide]
- What is Behavior-Based Goal Setting?
- A New Year & A New Career
- Museums and the Marathon Man
- Start Again Today
- Reaching Your Goals Begins Here
- What is Your Word-of-the-Year for 2015?
- Essential Life Skills You Could Master This Summer
- Enhance Self Esteem - How Your DNA Could Be Involved?
- Youngest Entrepreneurs - Keeley Tillotson and Erika Welsh
- How To Generate Ideas For Greatness
- "Life With Woody" ten inspiring quotes than can strengthen your self
- Conquer The Obstacles to Achieving Your Goals In Life
- Poor Qualities to Avoid If you'd like to Realize All your Goals
- Goal Setting / Where Do You Want To Be In Your Life?
- Ten Surefire Ways to get frustrated about visualization or fail at it
- How To Apply The Law Of Attraction To achieve your goals and become A Millionaire
- How To Create A Vision Board And Attract Your Goals
- Stop Existing And Start Living!
- Be SMART when Setting Goals
- Create Greater Success with Effective Goal Setting