The Importance of Solid and Secure Computer Data Storage
- Author Carlos Wardlow
- Published October 9, 2012
- Word count 680
Are you thinking about computer data storage yet? Because with the rainy season approaching, your backup computer files might be the only thing between secure records and utter chaos. And if you’re thinking that’s a well-placed bit of exaggeration, try asking the residents of Freehold, NJ how many of their personal emails, financial records and pictures they wish they still had.
But what happened in Freehold is an excellent reminder of why computer data storage is so vital. When you don’t backup your computer files, you run the risk of losing everything during power outages not just because the power is out and your computer won’t run but because the surges in power can corrupt your files and hard disk. There are ways of protecting your computer at home – a power strip is a good idea, and saving files to a thumb drive is smart – but they’re not comprehensive enough for people who use their computer for more than just creating documents or updating social media. Offsite backups are a far better idea for keeping your most important files safe and sound.
So: what can you do to keep your files safe in the wettest season of the year? We’ve compiled some ways of protecting your computer and its contents so that you don’t end up with a very expensive paper weight the next time a hurricane rolls through town.
• Offsite Backups: There are a number of reputable companies out there who can help you protect your information. Outside computer data storage facilities will store your information (for a fee, which can be nominal – or not – depending on the company) at their facility. Be Things to watch out with this so be careful of where your data is and how secure it is. That will be another article.
• The Cloud: It seems strange to recommend putting all of you stuff into space, but that’s essentially what the Cloud is. You can backup computer files online for free, which is great. Just be conscious that a computer hacker can wipe out those files a bit easier than s/he could if you use a company that specializes in computer data storage for your home or business.
• USP: That’s an Uninterruptible Power Supply, and it’s a pretty cool gadget. It sends a steady stream of power to your computer even if a storm causes a power surge, giving you time to shut it down correctly. Some of them will even initiate the shut down for you, if you can’t get to it yourself because you are away. It’s one of the better ways of protecting your computer because it keeps the machine and its contents safe. Just make sure to "comparison shop" first, because some of them are a little pricey. Be aware that they do need to be configured properly in order for them to work the way they are meant to work.
• Electricians: How good are your wires? If you live in an older home or if your area is particularly susceptible to sever storms, then all of the computer data storage in the world might not be able to save you. May be time to invest on a home generator to help keep your lights on during and after a storm. You never know how long it may take the electric company to get your lights back on. No matter what, remember to backup those computer files ASAP before it is too late.
Don’t Wait to Backup Computer Files
The most important thing to remember is that sometimes – believe it or not – the weather reports are wrong. Some storms blow right over, while others cause levels of devastation that are almost unimaginable. (Just ask anyone from the Gulf Coast.) The best ways of protecting your computer mean nothing if you don’t implement them. That’s why it’s so incredibly important that you backup computer files often. Offsite backups at reputable companies can keep your files – necessary and precious – safe when the lights go out.
Carlos Wardlow has provided consulting services to companies ranging from Fortune 500 to small businesses in the NY/NJ Metropolitan and Central New Jersey areas since 1999. CNK Technical Solutions is dedicated to help leverage technology to make your business as efficient as possibleArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Protect your files with drive image backup software
- How Cloud Management Values Change Your Business
- The U.S. Government and Zero Day Vulnerabilities
- Spyware – Yet Another Cyber Menace
- Reset lost passwords in Windows with Active@ Password Changer
- Antivirus measures you should know when your PC is infected with a virus
- Security Fit For Royalty!
- Global VPN Use Is Booming But So Is Cyber-Censorship
- Things to do to make your business, cyber secure
- The new European data protection system
- Avoiding Disaster: Make Website and Business Asset Backups Mandatory
- 12 Ways to Keep Your Data & Identity Safe Online
- Associate With Avast Support USA To Shield PC Against Viruses And Malware
- Microsoft Office Customer Service for Office Setup
- What is All-czech browser hijacker and how to remove it
- Methods to delete Web-start.org from computer and browser
- What is Odin ransomware, how to decrypt .odin files
- How to remove Loadstart browser hijacker
- How to remove Tech-connect.biz from Google Chrome and all other browsers
- How to remove Alma Locker ransomware virus
- How to remove SOEASYSVC adware from your browser
- How to get rid of SafeSurf virus
- How to remove Cryp1 virus and to restore the encrypted files
- What is Social2Search, and how it differs from other adware
- How to remove Hohosearch adware from computer and browser
- Browser Hijackers, the Methods Of their Action And the Ways to Remove Them
- 5 Website Security Issues You Should Be Aware Of?
- What is a denial of service attack?
- How to Remove VISUAL SHOPPER completely
- Just a few Thinkings In relation to File and Document Management Systems Protection