Your Prosperity Today can Become Your Adversity Tomorrow: A Case Study of Zimbabwe
- Author Godwin Ihagh
- Published September 23, 2017
- Word count 537
It’s a sad fact that many people and nations once experienced a level of prosperity which is now a distant memory (or almost forgotten) because currently – they’ve fallen into a state of adversity and great misfortune. Evidence abounds everywhere, that prosperity can become adversity within the twinkle of time’s eyes. In 1980, Zimbabwe gained independence after a period of rule which was governed by Great Britain, and Robert Mugabe, who until that moment was a political prisoner, took over the helm of affairs of the nation as the first prime minister.
It’s quite true that during his first ten years of leadership, prosperity was one of the qualities of Zimbabwe, and it showed in the way Zimbabwe grew to become one of the leading nations in Africa. Adversity was far away during a ten year period (between 1980 and 1990) when infant mortality rate fell from 86% to 49%, and life expectancy rose from 56% to 64%: also, adult literacy was on a 67% high and competing with the "developed nations" at the time. Everything was moving in the right direction until the economy started declining after the 1990 elections.
Scenes that express the level of adversity in Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe used to be considered as the food basket of Africa, but Mugabe has driven it into economic chaos as expressed by 95% unemployment and 231 million percent inflation – according to experts (in 2008). Due to the level of adversity over the years, millions of Zimbabweans have been fleeing to neighboring countries in order to escape the economic woes of their once prosperous homeland. If Zimbabwe which was once living in prosperity, is now a beggarly nation, let those nations and people that think they stand tall, take heed – lest they fall! May their glorious stories not become groaning stories. May their book of laughter not become a book of lamentation. People and nations should set a daily watch over their empires, whether these empires consist of an individual or a nation.
The level of adversity in Zimbabwe (in terms of statistics)
It’s a good sign when lowly nations try to move up to the level of prosperity inherent in prosperous nations, but Zimbabwe does so while witnessing how routine financial transactions are carried out within its territories – in an astonishing amount of quadrillions. The adversity is so widespread that it’s common to see people carry wheelbarrows full of money to shops. In an attempt to express the level of adversity, an indigenous businessman once said that the whole market scene had gone completely crazy, and that their computers and calculators can’t deal with all the zeroes, even on the cheapest products.
Stock brokers, worldwide, once said that the Zimbabwean dollar made an "exchange rate" record of 10 billion to a single U.S. dollar in direct bank buying; while in electronic transfers – it exceeded 20 billion Zimbabwean dollars to 1 U.S. dollar. A loaf of bread in a supermarket once cost 7 billion Zimbabwean dollars, while a crate of eggs (30 in number) was once 45 billion dollars ($4.50 U.S. dollars). Oh, when will such adversity turn back into prosperity? I am not a politician, but when a nation’s leader leads a nation into deterioration and decay, I use his or her life as my school!
The author is an article writer who makes a living by reading, conducting research and writing articles about insightful ideas in different types of niches. You can contact him if you are interested in hiring his freelance writing service. Other interesting articles which he has published, can be read on his blogs with links as listed below:http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Five ways a career coach supercharges your progress
- 8 Steps For Back-To-Work Confidence In Women During Motherhood
- Focus on Your Mental Health to Improve Your Physical Health
- How do Fat girls Avoid Inferiority and Maintain Self-confidence?
- Successful People's Habits. What Gurus teach us. 160 Tips
- Standing Out During COVID-19 Job Hunting
- They Say, “What Are You Looking for in Your Next Job?” And You Say…What?
- Celebrate Recovery Appomattox
- Effective Tips to remember all that you studied
- Writings Don’t Come Naturally
- Can we enjoy playing chess more than video games?
- Effects of Insomnia on Health
- How to learn or improve English online and for free
- 5 Ways To Motivate Yourself
- Examining our Thoughts and Decisions
- Balance and Planning
- Love and Dependency
- Does your argument pass the equivalence test?
- The Unexamined Life
- Best guide to cut out hair in Photoshop
- 15 Reasons Why You Should Study Environmental Science
- How to Keep Your Workplace Neat & Clean
- Get Rid Of The Negativity In Your Life
- 3 Rules for Building Wealth That Have Been Around Since the 1800s
- How To Overcome Depression
- The 30 Minutes Magic Pill! Your Guide To Happiness
- It's ALL In The Believing
- Where to get ideas for cool content?
- Cross-cultural long-distance relationship advice