Love and Dependency
- Author June Stepansky
- Published June 26, 2019
- Word count 242
They will love me,
if I speak what they want to hear.
They will love me,
if I become their vision of me.
They will love me
if they can be my Pygmalion,
and I their Galatea.
They don’t think they demand much.
They only ask
that I give up
We all want and need love in our lives, but how much of ourselves are we willing to sacrifice to meet this need. Our dependency for someone to love us comes from childhood, when we couldn’t take care of ourselves, and actually needed others to help us survive. As adults, it is nice to have someone in our lives who cares, but we have or can develop the skills we need to survive and even flourish by ourselves. Many relationships are based on fear and neurotic need which can be ultimately destructive. We need to be sure that respect for the individuality of the loved one becomes part of every really loving relationship.
This is, however, not an easy process. We must make the effort to learn more about ourselves: to evaluate our temperament, our skills, and our enthusiasms before we are ready to make the necessary decisions that can bring us to the discovery and fulfillment of our own particular destiny. Understanding ourselves is an adventure that is ultimately exciting and joyful.
Resolve to be thyself, and know, that he who finds himself loses his misery--- Mathew Arnold
June Stepansky is a writer and poet who writes books and articles about happiness, self-improvement and social and political firstname.lastname@example.orgArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Focus on Your Mental Health to Improve Your Physical Health
- How do Fat girls Avoid Inferiority and Maintain Self-confidence?
- Successful People's Habits. What Gurus teach us. 160 Tips
- Standing Out During COVID-19 Job Hunting
- They Say, “What Are You Looking for in Your Next Job?” And You Say…What?
- Celebrate Recovery Appomattox
- Effective Tips to remember all that you studied
- Writings Don’t Come Naturally
- Can we enjoy playing chess more than video games?
- Effects of Insomnia on Health
- How to learn or improve English online and for free
- 5 Ways To Motivate Yourself
- Examining our Thoughts and Decisions
- Balance and Planning
- Does your argument pass the equivalence test?
- The Unexamined Life
- Best guide to cut out hair in Photoshop
- 15 Reasons Why You Should Study Environmental Science
- How to Keep Your Workplace Neat & Clean
- Get Rid Of The Negativity In Your Life
- 3 Rules for Building Wealth That Have Been Around Since the 1800s
- How To Overcome Depression
- The 30 Minutes Magic Pill! Your Guide To Happiness
- It's ALL In The Believing
- Where to get ideas for cool content?
- Cross-cultural long-distance relationship advice
- Your Prosperity Today can Become Your Adversity Tomorrow: A Case Study of Zimbabwe
- Seeds of What?
- How forgiveness and empathy might harm you