7 Most Effective Ways to Step Outside Your Comfort Zone
- Author Amaya Oswald
- Published December 19, 2022
- Word count 725
If you have ever had difficulty opening up to people, being less reserved, or expressing yourself, then you know that it takes a lot to step outside your comfort zone. In this article, we’re going to teach you the 7 most effective ways to step outside your comfort zone and achieve what you have always been wanting.
Set Clear Goals and Be Positive About Achieving Them
If your ultimate goal is to break out of your shell, you should have a mental plan as to how you are going to go about doing this. Having a plan like this will help establish smaller, more attainable goals that will help you accomplish your big end goal. As Oliver Page, M.D. writes in “How To Leave Your Comfort Zone and Enter Your ‘Growth Zone,'” self actualization, which you can achieve through setting smaller goals and completing them, is an important process in becoming the person you want to be.
Have Fun And Don’t Take Life Too Seriously All of The Time
Set aside your pros and cons list for this one, because taking your life in your hands and ignoring your fears does not mean that you can’t have fun. Being too paranoid about your future and whether something will be a positive or negative experience is not productive. Instead, try to set aside your fears and leap into the unknown.
Learn Something You’ve Never Done Before
If there has always been something you’ve wanted to do but have never done, why not do it today? Don’t worry if you have no experience; beginner classes exist for a reason! Perhaps you have always wanted to try skydiving or pottery. Or maybe you aren’t exactly sure what to do, but you know you want to try something different. If you feel this way, you have free reign just to do it. The easiest way to learn something new is to sign up for classes at your local civic center, community college, or dance theater.
Take Lessons From Your Failures By Changing The Way You Do Things
Failing at something is the perfect opportunity to get up and try again. However, if you don’t analyze where you went wrong and change the way you behave going forward, you’ll probably end up with the same result. In this way, making those changes is crucial in order for you to move forward and break out of your shell.
Make Friends with People Who Influence You To Get Outside of Your Comfort Zone
The old saying “Show me who your friends are and I’ll show you your future” might have some truth to it. Hanging out with friends who are adventurous could possibly be a great thing for your future; friends who inspire you will often bring out the best in you. While you don’t have to make friends with extreme risk-takers if that is not what you are interested in, having spontaneous and fun friends will help you learn the ropes of an adventurous life.
Change Up Your Daily Routine
If you need to make gradual steps toward stepping out of your comfort zone, that is okay. Start by making small amendments to your daily routine. For example, it can be as simple as taking the scenic route to work or having a conversation with someone new while getting your morning coffee. Once you do things like this, you’ll find yourself becoming more comfortable with making bigger changes in your life.
Do Things That Help Other People
Sometimes, when we focus too much on what’s wrong with ourselves, we can get overwhelmed and lose focus on what’s really important. While you are making all these big changes in your life, sure you keep a clear head and continue to feel positive about yourself. The best way to do this is by helping others; for example, signing up for peer tutoring, volunteering at a food bank, or simply helping a friend with something important are great ways to step outside of yourself and your comfort zone.
With the help of this article, we’re certain that making a step outside your comfort zone will feel like second nature to you. In the comments, tell us about a time when you took a risk and it paid off.
Written by Amaya Oswald for Spinnr
There are no posted comments.
- The "Not to Do" List
- When personal or professional vanity starts to harm the best interests of the corporation
- SELF DEVELOPMENT
- WHAT MAKES A LIFE MEANINGFUL?
- 5 Oral Health-Related Tips from a Dentist (& Why You Should Listen)
- How To Journal Effectively
- How to get your mojo back?
- Are your emotional coping skills preventing you from achieving career success?
- What Do You See In The Mirror?
- The Role of Coffee in Mindfulness and High Performance at Work
- Business Etiquette - 10 Tips on Corporate Gift Giving for Christmas
- What do I do if I don't know my passion in life?
- Assessing your abilities to lead a publicity
- Next Time
- 10 Basic unwritten rules and tips to survive prison or county jail
- “Make Love, Not War”......but how?
- How to Conquer Anger
- Accept The Things You Cannot Change
- How to Care for Your Mental Health in a More Difficult Holiday Season
- The Harm in Giving an Answer to a Student by In Home Tutor Rick Kirkham
- Medisuggestion – The Efficient Combination of Meditation and Autosuggestion
- 12 Effective Ways To Countering Fear
- An Overview To Sober Companion
- The Essential Guide To Managing Stress At Work
- Circumstances Beyond Our Control, Or Are They?
- Valuable Tips for Hosting a Safe Holiday Party
- 5 Reasons to Write More Thank You Notes
- Five ways a career coach supercharges your progress
- 8 Steps For Back-To-Work Confidence In Women During Motherhood