The Best Secured Credit Card: Five Things To Look For
- Author Max Anderson
- Published July 26, 2007
- Word count 476
If you're looking for the best secured credit card, you're not alone. Too many consumers have applied for a secured credit card only to find out too late just how bad the card really was. Do yourself a favor and forgo the whole trial-and-error approach. Use these five tips to find the best secured credit card available.
- Acceptable Fees
Almost every secured credit card in existence has its associated fees. That doesn't, however, mean that you should have to pay an arm and a leg to open a secured credit card account.
The best secured credit card will offer an acceptable fee schedule. While the fees associated with a secured credit card vary from company to company, you should never pay more than $50 or $60 in total annual fees.
Avoid applying for a secured credit card that breaks their total annual fees into multiple charges. Some credit card companies charge an annual fee, a monthly maintenance fee, a processing fee and an application fee. The best secured credit card will charge an annual fee and perhaps a low processing fee -- nothing more.
- A Good Deposit/Credit Limit Ratio
The best secured credit card will extend you a line of credit equal to 100-percent of your security deposit. Your security deposit is intended to guarantee your line of credit. If you place $300 in the deposit account, you should have a credit limit of $300.
Some secured credit card companies only grant you a credit line of 50-percent of the amount you put on deposit. This isn't acceptable.
- The Interest Is Yours
When you open up a secured credit card your deposit money is put in an account. Who gets to keep the interest earned on that deposit?
When looking for the best secured credit card, make sure that the card you apply for gives you the interest earned on your security deposit. The credit card company should make their money on the interest charged to the card, not the interest earned from your deposit.
- Rewards For Good Behavior
The best secured credit card will reward you for good behavior. Before applying for a card, check to see what they offer in regards to credit limit increases and transitioning from a secured card to an unsecured card.
- The Reporting Factor
Of course, one of the main purposes of a secured credit card is to rebuild your credit. The best secured credit card will report your monthly account activity to the three credit bureaus. Don't waste your time with credit card companies that don't.
Everyone knows that there can be huge differences between one credit card and the next. These differences can be even greater when dealing with secured credit cards. If you want to make sure that you're only applying for the best secured credit card possible, check to see if the credit card follows the five guidelines above.
For more tips on secured credit cards, saving money and avoiding getting taken, check out CreditCardTipsEtc.com, a website that specializes in providing credit card tips, advice and resources.http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Is the Process of Buying a Car Worth your Time?
- How to Consolidate Credit Card Debt During Covid-19
- Conglomerate Merger: Pros & Cons
- Signs That You Are Doing Budgeting Wrong
- Car Title Loans and Other Options to Improve a Bad Credit Score
- Home Insurance Protects Your Home From Disasters
- Memphis Payday Loans Can Help When You’re in a Bind
- Can Newcomers Get Approved For Car Loans?
- Real estate consultants: how should they communicate with millennial?
- Getting the Right Tulsa Loans and Using Them Wisely
- What Are Signature Loans and Should You Use Them?
- Bad credit small business loans for small businesses
- Things you didn't realise contributed to a bad credit rating
- How do I know if I have bad credit?
- Everything you should know about short-term business loans in the UK
- The Role of a Conveyancing Lawyer during the Home Loan Process
- Should You Take a Personal Loan for Your Business?
- Bad Credit Auto Loans and a No-Frills Car Purchase
- Zero Credit Auto Loans: The Perfect Lego Block to build your Credit Score
- A Guide to Securing Financing for Commercial Projects
- Understanding Solar Loan Rates
- Check your Credit Score regularly to keep a balance of your financial health.
- Ways Your Business Can Obtain Financing to Upgrade or Buy Equipment
- How to get the most out of your credit card
- Paul Chehade - Seeking Answers To Debt Consolidation Issues?
- Paul Chehade - Need Help With Debt Consolidation?
- Paul Chehade - Confused By Debt Consolidation? Read This To End The Frustration
- What Kind Of Capital Is Appropriate For Your Business?
- What is a Payday Loan?
- Broadband Development in Indonesia