Savvy Baby, Safer Baby
- Author Laura W.
- Published June 26, 2011
- Word count 469
Tiny babies sleep for 14-18 hours per day and their brain development is so rapid that 70% of adult brain growth is achieved by age two. Not only are babies busy developing in extraordinary ways, but during their earliest years they are also exceptionally vulnerable to toxins in their environment.
What does this have to do with your baby’s crib mattress? Evidence is gathering that environmental chemical exposure may be behind many developmental brain disorders. For many years, worrying reports on many industrial chemicals have come from researchers who study their presence in human tissue, blood, and breast milk. And there are strong indications from major institutions, including the Harvard School of Public Health, that brain disorders such as autism, ADHD, and retardation may be related to the "silent pandemic" of chemicals in our indoor and outdoor environments.
One category of common household chemicals that has raised unambiguous red flags is chemical flame retardants, required by law in synthetic foam mattresses. One type, PBDEs, has recently been banned in eight states, with four more considering a ban. Yet most families use mattresses for many years. This is especially common for crib mattresses, which are often handed down for new babies. New flame retardant chemicals have been formulated to allow synthetic mattresses to meet federal flame retardancy requirements. But they have not been in use long, and growing numbers of scientists believe they have not been studied adequately for safety.
A recent study examined how a significant source of cumulative exposure to chemicals, including flame retardants, is house dust. Startlingly, children consume FIVE TIMES the amount of house dust as adults do. So right from birth, living in an average home, the youngest family members are dealing with the heaviest chemical exposure.
Many parents would love to tuck their baby into a protective bubble that prevents anything toxic from ever getting anywhere near. We feel just the same. Yet we all live in the real world, and as safe as we may yearn to be, perfect protection is not possible. You may housekeep like a green June Cleaver, but there will be dust in your child’s world.
So how can you reduce your child’s regular exposure to risky chemicals? There are many options, from foods to fabrics that make good sense. And a pure, safe, organic crib mattress is an especially clear choice, given the number of hours a baby spends sleeping.
This is why several companies make organic crib mattresses, like Savvy Rest’s Savvy Baby. Their organic mattress is made from all-natural latex (natural foam rubber), in a quilted casing of organic cotton fabric with organic wool batting. The wool batting inside the casing serves as a natural flame retardant--and we just don’t see a good reason to use anything else.
There are no posted comments.
- Teaching Kids to Unplug – A Parenting Battle Worth Fighting
- Potty Training Sucks. Here Are 8 Sanity Saving Tips
- Sunscreen Myths and Facts
- Cyberbullying and Covid-19
- Why the First Five Years of is the Most Important in Your Child's Life
- Five Tips for Co-Parenting After Divorce
- Why You Should Purchase A Personal Finance Software For Your Teenagers
- 10 Simple Rules for Fathers to Avoid Mistakes When Raising a Daughter
- 10 Mistakes Most Parents Regret Making while Raising kids
- The Challenges of Parenting
- Signs of Teething and How to Alleviate Baby`s Teething Pain
- Choosing the right Nursery in Dubai for your child
- 7 Best Mother's Day Flowers 2019
- Preschools in Bountiful
- Guideline For Finding Age-Appropriate Toys For Your Infant and Toddler
- Walking and Cycling to School: The Lessons Your Children Need to Know
- The Changing Tables Has Been Keeping An Eye For New Releases
- A pressure cooker can be quite a better choice
- Child development
- The Importance of Mothers
- Surrogacy - Your Last Best Hope to Childless Couples
- Know If You Are Choosing The Best Infertility Doctor for Yourself
- IVF Clinic in Delhi - Offers Superlative Treatment Facilities to Childless Couples
- Get To Be Parents - Accept the Boons of the Modern Science
- Tips for Your Child's Happy Bedtime
- Hiring a Babysitter
- How Much Should You Pay Your Sitter?
- A Family Law Attorney Fort Worth Will Help You Solve Issues With Your Spouse
- Situational Awareness - the Best Defense
- Bring Back Traditional Toys for Children