Music Helps Raise IQ
- Author Anne Rimando
- Published August 14, 2011
- Word count 500
I am in love with music. In fact, my Facebook status is all about music or movie soundtracks. I always rely on music in expressing how I feel in a particular situation every single day.
Growing up, music has helped me cope with the many dramas I encountered. The first love, the first broken heart, the loss of my father, and the happy times with friends and family. Even at work, I relax myself from all the stress by listening to the music of Enya. I played the guitar but never really formally took lessons. I just learned how to play so I can socialize with each circle of friends I got to meet.
Recently I discovered that music is actually helpful in the development of our IQ and mental development. Researches on how music affects the brain and mental development are available in musicology and music advocacy sites. It has been observed through the use of advanced technology such as the PET scans and MRI imaging that new neural pathways are created when an individual is engaged in a musical activity. Activities referred includes but not limited to composing musical pieces and playing musical instruments. It has been observed that ALL sides of our brain literally lights up in the monitors as opposed to only a part of the brain lights up when engaged in any other activity. I’ve heard of parents making their babies listen to classical music even when they’re still in the womb so that they will grow smart but it was only recently was I informed of the science behind it and the studies that back the claim. Indeed passively listening to music helps. But measurable mental development is mostly attributed to composing and playing musical instruments.
There are, however, many other benefits that can be derived from music. Socially, music is an ageless hobby creating interaction with great people. It can be observed that creativity and striving for excellence is developed and embraced among musical groups. Discipline and organization are also honed. These are traits that prove valuable for us in later life. Think about having children develop these traits early in life, wouldn’t it be neat? Sharon Burch, a music teacher and creator of Freddie the Frog® book series thought it would be a great idea to get our children interested in music to reap these benefits and help them raise their IQ. She wrote fanciful books with the mission of breaking down big abstract concepts into developmentally appropriate pieces for kids. And she made these books interesting by introducing fascinating characters and places so children can easily retain the lessons in memory.
I wish we had the same resources before when I was younger but then these helpful books are meant for the next generation and my future children. Help raise your kids’ IQ by engaging them in activities related to music as early as preschool so we can have a future filled with creative, vibrant, and smarter citizens.
There are no posted comments.
- Teaching Kids to Unplug – A Parenting Battle Worth Fighting
- Potty Training Sucks. Here Are 8 Sanity Saving Tips
- Sunscreen Myths and Facts
- Cyberbullying and Covid-19
- Why the First Five Years of is the Most Important in Your Child's Life
- Five Tips for Co-Parenting After Divorce
- Why You Should Purchase A Personal Finance Software For Your Teenagers
- 10 Simple Rules for Fathers to Avoid Mistakes When Raising a Daughter
- 10 Mistakes Most Parents Regret Making while Raising kids
- The Challenges of Parenting
- Signs of Teething and How to Alleviate Baby`s Teething Pain
- Choosing the right Nursery in Dubai for your child
- 7 Best Mother's Day Flowers 2019
- Preschools in Bountiful
- Guideline For Finding Age-Appropriate Toys For Your Infant and Toddler
- Walking and Cycling to School: The Lessons Your Children Need to Know
- The Changing Tables Has Been Keeping An Eye For New Releases
- A pressure cooker can be quite a better choice
- Child development
- The Importance of Mothers
- Surrogacy - Your Last Best Hope to Childless Couples
- Know If You Are Choosing The Best Infertility Doctor for Yourself
- IVF Clinic in Delhi - Offers Superlative Treatment Facilities to Childless Couples
- Get To Be Parents - Accept the Boons of the Modern Science
- Tips for Your Child's Happy Bedtime
- Hiring a Babysitter
- How Much Should You Pay Your Sitter?
- A Family Law Attorney Fort Worth Will Help You Solve Issues With Your Spouse
- Situational Awareness - the Best Defense
- Bring Back Traditional Toys for Children