Situational Awareness - the Best Defense
- Author Connie Lee
- Published May 5, 2017
- Word count 429
Our world is more complex, faster paced and, in some ways, more dangerous. We can avoid danger by never venturing outside our homes or we can rely our eyes and ears and logic to keep ourselves safe. The US Coast Guard refers to this as Situational Awareness - the ability to identify, process, and comprehend the critical elements of information about what is happening to the team with regards to the mission. More simply, it's knowing what is going on around you.
For the private citizen, the team is Mom, Dad and the Kids; and, situational awareness is really just another word for mindfulness. It is up to us adults to practice all the time. Before long, it will make a big difference in your day-to-day decisions. Much of those decisions have to do with how we perceive those around us. Are there people present that could present challenge? Are there ways to avoid it?
These same principles can also be applied to help your children understand situational awareness. You can even make a game out of it. For instance, when you are out with your family try playing the observation game. Tell your kids to pay attention to their surroundings - the people, the locations of doors and windows, dark places, etc. Then, when you are on your way home, ask them questions about the people sitting next to them or where the exit doors were located. It's a fun way to train your kids about awareness and safety.
Overall, I suppose we should live under a continuous condition of caution. Pay attention to who and what is around. We should use common sense and listen to our instincts - from avoiding the shortcut down a dark alleyway to leaving an area if we feel uncomfortable or threatened. We should do our best not to allow ourselves to become victims. As a civilian, especially if we have taken on the added responsibility of carrying concealed, we must pay attention to who and what is around us. It is up to us to make the right decisions ahead of potential danger and to protect those who depend on us to look out for their well-being.
Mind you, I don't think there's anything very new or profound about basic safety. We learn these things as kids - or should. But sometimes it's a good idea to revisit old lessons and remember to share them with our loved ones. Planning ahead and thinking about our surroundings are effective ways to be safer as we're out and about in our daily lives.
Connie Lee is a Mom and a Grandma and a strong A2 advocate. She sells leather concealed carry purses and accessories made with quality leathers. Shop at her store http://concealedcarrypursesplus.com.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Top Benefits Of The Outdoor Trampoline
- Berg Go Karts: A Guide to Buying Berg Karts Online
- Best Gift Ideas When Shopping For A New Baby
- What Exactly Are The Main Benefits Of Rectangular Trampolines
- Trampoline Guide - Why Parents Love Inground Trampolines
- Trampoline Guide for Trampolinists in Switzerland
- Better Sleep For Children
- Teaching Kids to Unplug – A Parenting Battle Worth Fighting
- Potty Training Sucks. Here Are 8 Sanity Saving Tips
- Sunscreen Myths and Facts
- Cyberbullying and Covid-19
- Why the First Five Years of is the Most Important in Your Child's Life
- Five Tips for Co-Parenting After Divorce
- Why You Should Purchase A Personal Finance Software For Your Teenagers
- 10 Simple Rules for Fathers to Avoid Mistakes When Raising a Daughter
- 10 Mistakes Most Parents Regret Making while Raising kids
- The Challenges of Parenting
- Signs of Teething and How to Alleviate Baby`s Teething Pain
- Choosing the right Nursery in Dubai for your child
- 7 Best Mother's Day Flowers 2019
- Preschools in Bountiful
- Guideline For Finding Age-Appropriate Toys For Your Infant and Toddler
- Walking and Cycling to School: The Lessons Your Children Need to Know
- The Changing Tables Has Been Keeping An Eye For New Releases
- A pressure cooker can be quite a better choice
- Child development
- The Importance of Mothers
- Surrogacy - Your Last Best Hope to Childless Couples
- Know If You Are Choosing The Best Infertility Doctor for Yourself
- IVF Clinic in Delhi - Offers Superlative Treatment Facilities to Childless Couples