Breaking Free from Pornography Addiction
Self-Improvement → Spirituality
- Author Philip Abayomi Vincent
- Published October 3, 2022
- Word count 964
Pornography is sexually explicit video, text, audio or material that aims to arouse people who are looking at it. Most teenagers see online pornography at some stage, either by accident or on purpose. Some pornography sends negative messages about sex and relationships. This might harm teenagers’ ability to form healthy relationships.
Lust sponsors pornography, masturbation and every sexual perversion and tackling a problem from its root solves it completely, this is why many young people find it an issue breaking free from porn addiction.
How Does a Teenager Break Free from Pornography?
The thing about breaking free from Porn is just that, you don’t just break free. It isn’t a wall to be torn down, or a window to be broken. It’s not a bad habit to shake. It can’t be throw in the trash can, or poured out on the ground. Lust becomes a part of you. You don’t break free from lust; you have to get untangled.
I spent three years of my life battling a pornography addiction. That was just the pornography. It didn’t include the masturbation, lust, or the world of fantasy I had created. I thought when I finally stopped doing it I would be able to live life normally. I waited for that one moment – the moment when it clicked, when my heart, mind, and body all got the memo. I waited for the moment when I could say, This! This is the moment I was finally free.
I set out on a journey for that moment, only to find that there isn’t a moment. Freedom is not a moment. Freedom is, in fact, the journey.
So many Teenagers write me sharing their own struggles with pornography, lust, masturbation, and fantasy. They ask me, How can I be free? I hate that I don’t have six simple steps to give them. There just isn’t one. Every teen’s struggle is as unique as his/her story. Behind a Teen's addiction to pornography and lust could be the broken-hearted child from a torn family, or a frightened victim of sexual assault.
Lust never comes alone, and it doesn’t just affect our bodies. It affects our bodies, minds, and, ultimately, our hearts. Lust twists love, trust, satisfaction, and God. It messes with everything. When Teenagers are searching for freedom, they aren't asking, “How can I stop looking at pornography? What they're really asking is, How can I be whole again?
It’s a good thing for us that God is in the business of making young people whole again. If we are willing, He will work that same redemptive grace in our lives, but we have to be in it for the long haul. We have to understand that it isn’t just the lust. He won’t stop there. He will dig down into the depths of our broken heart to fix how we view others, life, and ourselves. This is a major overhaul, but certainly worth it! So how do we start?
First, you need to tell someone. I know that can seem like the scariest thing. Many of us would rather swim in a pool of snakes than share this type of struggle with someone. However, it is important for us to tell someone who can offer us specific counsel and help us work through the underlying issues. That may be a Christian counselor, your mom or a woman in your church (for girls), your pastor, a spiritual friend. You need to get this sin out into the light. Sin thrives in secrecy.
Second, don’t be afraid of pain. Many Teens turn to lust, pornography, masturbation, and fantasy in order to cope with pain in their lives. We haven’t learned proper coping mechanisms. Remember that our Saviour experienced human emotion. We live in a fallen world – a world of pain – and it is OK for you to feel disappointed, hurt, frustrated, broken, etc. When you acknowledge that, it can be healed!
Third, know your triggers. Every young person's struggle is different. Something that triggers your struggle may have no effect on someone else. Perhaps it’s an emotion, a time of day, a certain situation, a certain movie or book, a song, or even a smell. Try and figure out what your triggers are. This helps you avoid them but it can also point to root causes of your struggle.
Last, and most important, take it one step at a time. So often, we can look at a goal and think, Oh, I can never get there, so we never even try. When you are trapped in the depths of pornography or lust, freedom can feel impossible. It can feel like you will never be able to be normal. I promise you, though, God is more than able to free you, heal you, and restore you! It is His desire to conform you to the beautiful, pure image of His Son. Let Him perform that change in you – one step at a time.
Don't give up! Breaking free will not be as easy as it sounds and you should start getting comfortable with hearing this. Addictions aren't formed in a day or few days. The same way it took time to get trapped in web of pornography, masturbation and lust, it may take time to get committed to living freely. You shouldn't give up as soon as you begin your commitment to living freely. There could be times when you make decisions and still fall back but remember God's assurance in His word. If the righteous man falls seven times, he will rise again.
Prov.24.16 - for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity.
Philip Abayomi is a believer, content writer and digital marketer who is interested in touching lives with the gospel through Writing and Blogging.
Website: https://www.thespiritteen.com/2022/08/breaking-free-from-pornography-addiction.htmlArticle source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Salvation By Repentance and Belief: What Causes a Believer to Have Fellowship i.e., Be a Partaker of God’s Nature?
- What is the Baptism of the Spirit, and what are the bundle of benefits received at salvation?
- PART 5 THE SPIRITUALITY PUZZLE
- If someone exhibited little or no fellowship with Yahweh or Christ did this cause them to lose their relationship?
- Dicitonary of Spiritual Services
- PART 3 THE SPIRITUALITY PUZZLE
- WAS JESUS TEMPTATION PHYSICAL: WHAT'S THE CORRELATION BETWEEN WITCHCRAFT AND OUR MIND?
- PART 2 THE SPIRITUALITY PUZZLE
- Understanding Consciousness and the Path to Enlightenment
- The Science of Consciousness and the Role of the Brain
- What caused Enos, Enoch, Noah, and Abraham to have a relationship and fellowship with Yahweh?
- How Do I Fulfill My Spiritual Destiny?
- PART 10 TESTIMONY
- Is It True That God Has Made Me Like This?
- What Should Determine the Way a Believer Should Think, Speak, and Act?
- Should a Christian Follow Societal Norms Concerning Sexual Behavior?
- What Does It Mean to Love One Another with God’s Love?
- Do you agree with gay marriage?
- What Is God’s Will or Plan for My Life?
- Do You Know How God Sees You? Do You Know Who You Are in Christ?
- Does Being Active in Church Activities Mean We Are Growing Spiritually?
- Do You Think That This Teaching Is Malarkey?
- PART 6 GOD'S ABUNDANT LIFE
- PART 4 GODS ABUNDANT LIFE
- What is God's abundant life and how do we attain it.
- What must a believer receive into their life in order for their prayers to have any chance of approaching the heavenly realm?
- What are three ways that God could answer our prayers?
- Before we ask God for anything, what should be the basis of our prayers?
- Obsession Love Spell