What Is A Truck Bed Cover
- Author Eric Weeks
- Published July 3, 2008
- Word count 556
Just what is a truck bed cover? Well a truck bed cover, also known as a tonneau cover, is exactly that: a cover that covers an open truck bed. There are many different types of truck bed covers on the market today. Some are made of vinyl that look like leather but hold up fairly well under different weather conditions as well as the ultra violet rays of the sun. Some truck bed covers are made of plastic, fiberglass and aluminum. Many of the soft vinyl covers have aluminum frames and aluminum bows which give the covers a slight arch for strength against snow load and also allow water to run off.
Some truck bed covers close up along the edges with snaps and others close up with rugged velcro tape. There are truck bed covers that open on hinges. Just lift up from the back of the pickup truck much like a trunk cover. These are known as a hinged truck bed covers. Several manufacturers make such a soft cover such as Extang with their Full-Tilt Tonneau and Lund Genesis with there Hinged Tonneau. Tonneau Masters make a hinged truck bed cover aptly called the Hinged Slantside. Gaylords Lids makes a couple variations of hinged truck bed covers made of fiberglass, called the "Traditional" and the "X2000". Both of these models are available with an optional Speedsturr Wing. One other hinged truck bed cover I should mention is the UnderCover hinged tonneau made of an ABS plastic composite.
We’ve touched on soft truck bed covers made of vinyl that close with snaps or Velcro and hinged tonneau covers that are soft vinyl, hard plastic, or fiberglass. There are also truck bed tonneau covers that fold up giving you quick and easy access to your complete truck bed. BAK Industries produces a hard folding cover called the BakFlip made of an industrial plastic-like material. Lund Genesis make a soft 3-section tonneau that folds named the Tri-Fold and Extang makes a soft folding truck bed cover called the Trifecta. Reds Beds also produces a folding lid made of diamond tread plate - a real heavy-duty work. The Reds Beds aluminum tonneau comes in polished aluminum or painted. They even offer two tool box editions; one that comes with a tool box and one that requires the truck owner to furnish a tool box.
There is yet another type of tonneau cover called a retractable truck bed cover or also called a rolling tonneau that retracts into a canister mounted at the front of the truck bed under the rear window of the cab. There are a few manufacturers of this type of tonneau cover with Pace Edwards offering the most different models. They feature the Roll Top, the JackRabbit, The Full Metal JackRabbit and even one model, the BedLocker, that opens electrically with a hand-held remote control. Some other retractable truck cover manufacturers are BAK with its RollBak tonneau and Truck Covers USA with its American Roll retractable tonneau cover.
If you are actively looking for a truck bed cover cover, whichever one you choose, collectively truck bed covers will conserve fuel while protecting your cargo from different weather conditions, including swirling winds caused by driving at or above highway speeds. Also, by concealing your cargo, a truck bed tonneau cover reduces the risk of theft.
Eric Weeks has been one of the internet's leading experts on hard tonneau covers and retractable tonneau covers since 2001. Visit these sites now to learn how you can take advantage of this technology that can safeguard both your vehicle and your belongings while improving your gas mileage by as much as 10 - 12%.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Benefits of Leasing a Van or Truck for Your Small Business
- Vehicular Performance - Miles vs. Hours
- IFTA Calculation through ELD and Fleet Management
- MA 1080 – Telematics wonder by Matrack
- How to reduce Driver Detention?
- Transition from AOBRD to ELD
- The Truck Drivers of the Future - Millennials
- Combating Cargo Theft
- How to find a good trucking company?
- Customise Your Ute With Ute Storage Drawers
- 5 Significant Factors You Should Consider Before Renting a Vehicle
- Do You Need a Truck Rack?
- Self-Driven Vehicles Testing Guidelines Tightened
- Driver Buddy The Latest Technology in Driver Management.
- 5 Reasons to Begin a Career as a Truck Driver
- Buying A Used Forklift
- Increased Fatality Rates Due to Commercial Truck Rollover Accidents
- Train Air Horns Sound
- 6 fascinating facts about Caterpillar
- The world’s biggest and deepest mines
- Featured Equipment: Komatsu WA500-3 Loader
- How Cargo Vans Can Uplift Your Business
- Tax deductions to drive plant and equipment sales
- How to avoid truck blind spots
- How we remain safe on the road and you can too
- Hall of Fame celebrates our Aussie truckers
- The future of Australian mining metals: liquid natural gas
- Top 5 facts about the largest Caterpillar wheel loader
- Turbo Diesel Pick Up Trucks and Fuel Dilution Issues
- Truck Accessories-Many fix real troubles