TM & the effect of "ahimsa" in the Yoga Sutra
- Author Thomas Egenes Phd
- Published December 4, 2010
- Word count 600
In the Yoga Sutras, the first of the eight limbs of yoga is called "yama". Yama has five aspects, beginning with ahimsa, which means "non-injury" or "non-violence". Mahatma Gandhi made ahimsa famous when he mobilized all of India to free itself from British domination without firing a shot. Martin Luther King, Jr., the head of the civil rights movement in the U.S., was one of many who were influenced by Gandhi and his use of ahimsa to achieve social change without violence.
The Yoga Sutra describes what happens when a person is established in non-injury: "Where non-injury is established, in the vicinity of that, hostile tendencies are eliminated." (2.35)
In Sanskrit: ahimsa-pratishthayam tat-sannidhau vaira-tyagah. The word-for-word translation is: "Where non-injury (ahimsa) is established (pratishthayam), in the vicinity (sannidhau) of that (tat), hostile tendencies (vaira) are eliminated (tyagah)."
According to the Yoga Sutra, where is non-injury established? In the state of yoga, which is defined in the second sutra of the Yoga Sutra as the complete settling of the activity of the mind. This settled mind, the mind established in yoga, is free of injury, and the Yoga Sutra says that for this person the environment becomes free of hostilities. St. Francis of Assisi, for instance, was famous for calming people and even animals around him by his sheer power of love. An individual who has a mind full of peace radiates an influence of peace, and then creates a reality that is peaceful.
This is where non-violence becomes effective. It is a state of mind that, in Maharishi Mahesh Yogi’s words, "disallows the birth of an enemy." When enmity has been eliminated inside, there is no enemy outside. According to Maharishi, "An enemy is the lively embodiment of our own weakness."
The principle of non-injury is also described in quantum physics as the Meissner Effect, which shows that a coherent system generates a field around it that is coherent. Non-coherent fields will not penetrate a coherent system.
While it is possible to understand how this principle applies to individuals, what would happen if a large group were established in the state of yoga?
In the summer of 1993, 4,000 people gathered in Washington, D.C., to see if practicing the Transcendental Meditation technique in groups for 2 months would affect the crime rate of the city. Dr. John Hagelin, a quantum physicist, predicted that the crime rate would drop by at least 20%. The chief of police went on the evening news and said that it would take a snow blizzard in the middle of summer to accomplish that.
Yet, after two months, public records showed that the crime rate dropped 26%. Since most people’s paradigm about the nature of reality is based upon classical mechanics, this experimental result seems unlikely. However, from a quantum perspective, the Washington, D.C., study follows the same principle as the Meissner Effect and was described long ago in the Toga Sutra "in the vicinity of yoga, hostile tendencies are eliminated."
Taking it a step further, what if throughout our society there we many large groups of individuals who could do their Transcendental Meditation practice together every day to heighten the experience of Yoga? Imagine the possibilities. A group of school children meditate and stress levels and violence go down in the neighborhood. A group of elderly people meditate together and their city begins to be more progressive and prosperous. It’s a possibility that could yield profound results both for the individual and for society at virtually no cost, and with great side-benefits for each of the individuals involved. It’s worth exploring, isn’t it?
Thomas Egenes received his B.A. from the University of Notre Dame and his M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Virginia. He is Associate Professor of Sanskrit at Maharishi University of Management in Fairfield, Iowa, U.S.A.
Dr. Egenes is the author of Introduction to Sanskrit, Part One and Part Two and a newly released translation of the Yoga Sutras, called Maharishi Patanjali Yoga Sutra.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- The Stress of the Orthodox Paths
- Workaholism As Futile
- Examination is not a true test of knowledge
- 3 Philosophical Questions We Should Ask Ourselves Regularly
- On Honesty
- When every day, I tell Janice that I'm her mother, and that her mother is always with her
- When in Janice's orphanage, I talk to Janice about politics of observer being victory of politics over abstract
- When because of Juno Skinner, from True Lies, the US supernatural woman can help me create positive moral tragic
- When the American supernatural woman gave me The Representative, and my past anti-nationalism, so that I can enjoy helping her
- When 21 years ago, the supernatural US woman used Miramax's 54 to tell me that sexy sexy socialism is evil
- When Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl creates communism from tyranny data, so that Janice can live safely in Batman Forever
- When taking the piss takes the piss out of Valak, in the Mullins barn, so that science can be a series of AI psychologies
- When the American supernatural woman turns CNN into a false political anti-magic, so that she can be outsmarted by UK royalty
- When The Craft's Bonnie Harper wants me to love Janice, by turning UK humour's freedom from science into an evil evil
- When I become a UK Prime Minister, so that Alison Parker and Brittney Havers can protect my Annabelle: Creation body
- When I delete my story, The Representative, so that the American people can criticize me if I fail to love Janice
- When future robots choose to end American extramarital affairs, so that my brain can turn Annabelle Creation into a real reality
- When the GOP can't use 112 Ocean Avenue, because the sexiness of the US Senator Kamala Harris opposes Harvard University
- When European men and women are designed by nature to want to serve American businesswomen because the latters support monarchy
- When as Janice's sexy mother, I mess with Europe's royal women by having her see me smoke a cigar in a mansion hot tub
- When I can wear a sequin maxi dress for Janice, because Annabelle Creation has turned me into her sexy American mother
- When American mothers choose to oppose UK monarchs, so that Darth Maul is safe from extramarital affairs and press conferences
- When Scream's Sidney Prescott creates the US, so that Fox News can't copy the UK's vow to ABC's Cecilia Vega
- When The Sentinel's Alison Parker has UK royals think that space is a son of CNN, so that space can be a US trophy wife
- When CNN and the White House create science, so that FHM's Kelly Brook can't turn all adults into female supermodels
- When geology watches the 2004 movie Wild Things 2, in order to remember why it was that a wizard outsmarted the North Pole
- When Heaven refuses to use a mansion like a nightclub, so that all adults can try to wear a suit like ABC's Cecilia Vega
- Shame on You!
- A British computer, that defeats Egyptian Gods so that no aristocrat or monarch is the creator of the sexy American female CEO
- When CNN jumps up and down on outer space, so that a Spanish university can ignore a teddy bear in a nightclub