Does Cosmetic Surgery Really Boost Your Self Esteem?
- Author Roseanna Leaton
- Published February 24, 2011
- Word count 559
I think we all know the importance of high self-esteem these days. You simply have to have a comfortable sense of self to be happy and also to succeed in the things which you do. Without a pretty good sense of self-worth you tend to shrink into yourself and your comfort zone only ever covers a relatively small area.
The world over the last few decades seems to have got ever smaller as boundaries have changed. We are able to travel from one side of the world to the other in a matter of hours. We can speak and see each other with the use of video-cams in same time pretty much no matter where we live. Those who have high self-confidence and self-esteem enjoy the benefits which such easy accessibility brings. Those with a lower sense of self can however find the world to be an even more threatening place to be than ever before.
And so it is no wonder that we see a ballooning industry in self-esteem and self-confidence products. All will work for some and not for others. It is important to know how to choose what will work best for you. It is equally important to have the right mind set so as to allow yourself to grow in self-esteem.
I was extremely surprised and disappointed to read a report upon the tendency towards cosmetic surgery as a way to boost one's self image. The GoodSurgeonGuide.co.uk reported that almost 60 percent of a representative group of women in the UK said in a survey that they would be happy to have cosmetic surgery if it was government funded. In contrast, only 14% of these ladies said that they would never consider undergoing cosmetic surgery.
What I found most shocking in the results found was that 43% of the ladies surveyed said that they would request surgery (paid for by the NHS) for their children if they had been bullied because of how they looked. Surely there are less invasive ways in with to learn how to deal with bullies and bullying? Are there not ways in which a child could be helped to build their self-esteem and self-confidence so that they can stand up to bullies?
Cosmetic surgery should not be seen as a quick fix for ones self-confidence or self-esteem. In fact the greatest failing in plastic surgery lies in a person's potential inability to raise their self-image to match their new look. You have to build your self-esteem from within, irrespective of how you look. Cosmetic surgery alone will not do it for you. Perhaps it will stop a child from being bullied, but what are the side effects which that child has to deal with?
Self-esteem is based upon how you think about yourself. You cannot get away from this basic fact. To build your self-esteem you have to change the way in which you think. The tendency to look to superficial treatments such as cosmetic surgery merely reflects an unwillingness to look within. If you are considering plastic surgery as a one-stop cure for all of your self-esteem issues you are probably "barking up the wrong tree".
Roseanna Leaton, specialist in hypnosis downloads to build confidence and self-esteem from within.
P.S. Grab a free hypnosis mp3 from my website and find out how easily you can boost your own self-image.
With a degree in psychology and qualifications in hypnotherapy and NLP, Roseanna Leaton is one of the leading practitioners of self-improvement. Grab a free hypnosis mp3 from http://www.RoseannaLeaton.com and check out her library of hypnosis downloads.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Anime Who Breaks Your Heart
- Your Authentic Self: Love Who You Are Right Now
- Best Tips for Getting Rid from Head lice in Sydney
- To Create Change, You Have To Change
- Tired Of Fighting Without Resolution?
- 3 Steps To Building Connection Habits™
- Enhance Your Life With Better Boundaries!
- Need Fathering In Your Life?
- How Did 8 Simple daily habits give you a happier life
- This is why trying to be happy actually will backfire.
- How to Have a Stress-Less Holiday! 5 Tips to Survive & Thrive This Holiday Season
- Nice Chinese guys win hearts in the interracial relationships
- 7 Simple Hints to Manage Your Stress Level
- Winning Through Defeat: Eleven Commandments for Elections Losers
- Bluebirds Bring Hope
- Grati-texts & Grati-tweets - From High Tech to High Touch
- Attitude of Gratitude: 5 Facts to Be Grateful For
- Reaching Inner Peace Through Inspirational Books and Quotes
- Discover 5 Great Ways To Take Back Your Life
- Do You Need Approval?
- A Moment of Gratitude..
- Finding Your Passion
- Act Like a Lady Think Like a Man
- Living Your Life In Forward Motion!
- How to build self confidence - 5 easy tips
- Meditation – Starting the Right Place
- Mindfulness – Guided Technique
- Winter Blues Can Feel Like You're Stuck In A Month Of Wednesdays
- How to be Happy and Stress-Free All The Time
- Be Happy By Dealing With Your True Feelings