Dealing With Disappointment – How To Move On Quickly
- Author Kari Farmer
- Published April 22, 2011
- Word count 448
When you expect something to happen and go your way, and it doesn't, it is so disappointing. You can become upset, stressed, and downright miserable, especially if you have been dealing with many other disappointments as well.
It may feel like you are never going to get over the hurdle and that lump in your throat will never go away but the truth is it will - with a little time. Normally a few hours or a day is all you need, and the bandage of time covers up your pain and hurt.
But is there a way to speed up the recovery process so you don't have to suffer through the pain and anger and instead just be able to skip to the relief and feeling that you can get through it? Yes, in fact there are a few ways.
- As soon as you get the news hear it, accept it, and get busy doing something else.
If you accept it as fact and get busy doing something else with your time (besides dwelling on it) then you are consciously shifting your thoughts to something that doesn't involve the disappointment. Your mind may still work on the issue in the background, but it won't bring your whole body down with it because there are more pressing thoughts in front of it.
- Do something that you know will not be a disappointment.
It's best to distract your mind with something that is working out for you already. Whether it is making a new friend, a new business opportunity, or just baking a cake that always turns out great - get busy with it. Focusing on something that is going to work out can help balance your mind with the negative and positive thoughts it is dealing with, and remove that stress that comes with disappointment.
- Find someone who is dealing with more than you.
If you can find someone who has more on their plate then you, and you see that they are surviving and making it through okay, then you may be able to feel better about yourself and your disappointment. In fact, your struggles may become downright silly when you view it from this angle.
- Be grateful for what you have in your life.
Instead of focusing on the disappointment try being grateful for what you do have in your life. The legs you use to walk or the clothes you have on your back, or the ability to read and learn. There is something to be grateful for and it may lift your spirits up and make you feel like you really are lucky in life - even without that thing or person you wanted.
There are no posted comments.
- Anime Who Breaks Your Heart
- Your Authentic Self: Love Who You Are Right Now
- Best Tips for Getting Rid from Head lice in Sydney
- To Create Change, You Have To Change
- Tired Of Fighting Without Resolution?
- 3 Steps To Building Connection Habits™
- Enhance Your Life With Better Boundaries!
- Need Fathering In Your Life?
- How Did 8 Simple daily habits give you a happier life
- This is why trying to be happy actually will backfire.
- How to Have a Stress-Less Holiday! 5 Tips to Survive & Thrive This Holiday Season
- Nice Chinese guys win hearts in the interracial relationships
- 7 Simple Hints to Manage Your Stress Level
- Winning Through Defeat: Eleven Commandments for Elections Losers
- Bluebirds Bring Hope
- Grati-texts & Grati-tweets - From High Tech to High Touch
- Attitude of Gratitude: 5 Facts to Be Grateful For
- Reaching Inner Peace Through Inspirational Books and Quotes
- Discover 5 Great Ways To Take Back Your Life
- Do You Need Approval?
- A Moment of Gratitude..
- Finding Your Passion
- Act Like a Lady Think Like a Man
- Living Your Life In Forward Motion!
- How to build self confidence - 5 easy tips
- Meditation – Starting the Right Place
- Mindfulness – Guided Technique
- Winter Blues Can Feel Like You're Stuck In A Month Of Wednesdays
- How to be Happy and Stress-Free All The Time
- Be Happy By Dealing With Your True Feelings