Emergence Of Social Work And Social Work At Present
- Author Susan Mathisen
- Published August 9, 2011
- Word count 409
Social work is all about helping disadvantaged communities, families, groups, and individuals, this help is provided to the people by creating such conditions which boost the social functioning, and put a stop on breakdowns. Social work is actually a profession in which social workers help disadvantaged people to adopt the values and norms of the society by reshaping or modifying the salient features of the social system.
It emerged as a profession because of the initial efforts of philanthropic groups, and churches to eliminate poverty, to provide religious comforts to the poor, promote self-control, improve economy, to take care of children, and aged ones, and to correct the criminals. Due to the emergence of this profession, several orphanages and home for elder people came into existence, whose aim was to ease out or provide comfort to the disadvantaged. Aid is provided to the deserving families, groups, and individuals in order to restore their lives for themselves and for community in this charitable profession.
Group of people or individuals involved in this profession are expected to help people by reshaping or modifying the social conditions of people and for this, they acquire a specialized training. The training not only enhances the social competence, but also guides the workers to assist people in adjusting the badly effected social and economic life because of family conflicts, personal conflicts, social disorganization, illness, and poverty. Workers not only formulate the social welfare strategies, but also conduct several preventive programs according to the need of hour.
At present, social work is conducted with three methods, which are:
In case work method, a specific individual is assisted, who is needy, physically, or mentally unfit, or is socially handicapped. Socially handicapped are those who are homeless, unemployed, alcohol addict, drug addicted, or suffering from broken family. Social workers first understand the psychology and sociology of the individuals, and then get their problems diagnosed with the help of physicians, or psychiatrists and provide the solution accordingly.
Group work method is represented by social settlements, gymnasiums, playgrounds, and classrooms where handicrafts are taught. The socially handicapped members of community are usually called at such places for conducting some productive activities. For this purpose, help and services of volunteers are availed for conducting poverty projects for disadvantaged people.
Whereas community organizations promote welfare work with the help and support of private as well as public agencies by raising and administrating funds for disadvantaged communities.
There are no posted comments.
- Why to Look for Remote IT Support Jobs?
- Things to consider when looking for/applying for a commercial construction job
- Picking Career with Career Counseling
- Entry Level Online Jobs: Work for Lionbridge & Gengo
- Do I need to list job references on my CV?
- CNA Training Hempstead - Find CNA Training Cources in Hempstead
- Gagging Orders
- What Kind Of Job Can Your Stay-At-Home Wife Do?
- Technical Staffing Solutions for Orgonians
- Finding Your Next Job with a Temp Agency
- Successful Goal Setting for Today's College Students
- 5 Things You Need to Do Before Applying for a New Job
- Why Any Job Is Not Better Than No Job at All
- Do you have career regrets?
- 3 Strategies to Job Hunt after a Long Career Break
- Challenges Faced By Job Seekers
- Job Vacancies in Philippines
- Revise Your Resume Explore The Career
- The Four Stages of a Career Setback
- Take Your Resume Off Life Support
- Shifting Job Gears
- The Art of Success in the Arts
- The Business of Art
- The Art of Marketing
- I'm a Brand, You're a Brand
- What is CDR (Competency Demonstration Report)? How to prepare a Competency Demonstration Report? Where can you get help writing?
- Fall Back In Love With Your Job? Here's How!
- How to become a successful RN in the modern health sector
- Get a Degree in Vending Machine Repair For a Lucrative Career
- Family Goal Setting for Working Professionals