6 Essential Financial Tips for Newlyweds
- Author Bill Byron
- Published April 7, 2017
- Word count 542
So you just got married and are starting to build a life together with your partner. Here are 6 Essential Financial Tips that will set you up for success for years to come.
Change the Beneficiaries on your Insurance Policies, RRSPs, TFSAs, Company Pension and Benefits Plan
At the end of the day if you were to pass away, you would likely want your assets to transition smoothly to your surviving spouse. Before you were married you likely put your parents or a sibling as beneficiaries to your assets. Now that you are married change them to your spouse. The Income Tax Act allows for spousal rollovers for registered plans, which means your surviving spouse can assume your assets, avoiding tax and probate – which you would be subject to if you had anyone other than your spouse as a beneficiary.
Create your Will and Power of Attorneys
Let’s say you get seriously injured or ill. The Power of Attorney will give your spouse or another person you elect, the power to sign documents and make decisions on your behalf, if you become incapacitated to do so.
Your Will on the hand will indicate how you would like your assets to be distributed on your death. It also provides for you to indicate how you would like your assets to be distributed in various scenarios, for example if you and your spouse happen to pass away together. Without a Will, a court appointed Trustee will step in to administer your Estate and will determine how your assets are distributed. Your surviving beneficiaries could step in to execute your estate but they would first have to apply to the courts get appointed to executor of the estate. Save them the hassle and get one done.
Buy Life Insurance
Your company life insurance isn’t nearly close enough to be adequate coverage. Life Insurance will be paid to your beneficiary on your passing. It will help your surviving beneficiaries with paying for taxes, debts, funeral expenses and cover on-going living expenses. Life Insurance is cheap when you are young, buy it before you need it and can’t get it.
Goal set and keep track of your expenditures
Managing money with your partner can be a challenge, especially if you both have different spending habits. Sit down and set short and long term goals. i.e. Buying a house. Create a budget and track your expenditures. Identify areas where you can cut costs and increase your savings.
Invest when you are young
By investing when you are young, your money will have more time to compound and grow, helping you reach your goals faster. Be sure to take advantage of government registered plans such RRSP’s and TFSA’s to help you meet your goals
Work with a Financial Advisor
Financial Advisors will assist you on the early stage planning of your new life together. Not only will they provide you more in depth advice for each of the earlier points, but will also be able structure your financial situation, to ensure you are taking advantage of all opportunities available to you. They will also guide you to making smart decisions which will yield results for years to come.
For more info, check out this link below:http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- A Guide to Choosing Bridal Bouquets
- 10 Reasons Why You Need Online Wedding Biography
- Who Gets Alimony, and Who Pays It?
- What about wedding veils?
- How To Find The Best Wedding Videographer For Your Special Day
- "Honesty" in the Wedding Planner Business
- Addressing Child Marriage through Professional Translations
- 9 Fun Traditions of Asian Brides on Their Wedding Day
- Six Reasons You Should Wear A Wedding Locket Necklace
- When to Turn to Marriage Counseling
- Is this a kind of Betrayal?
- Planning an Indian Wedding
- 4 Things A Man Must Do Before Getting Married
- Wedding Readings For Gay Couples
- Matchless and Inexpensive Wedding Favor Ideas for 2018
- 10 Unique and Affordable Wedding Favor Ideas
- Value: Everything You Have In Your Relationships
- His Secret Obsession E-Book Review
- Why Fall Weddings Are Best
- Why Fall Weddings Are the Best
- How To Do Your Own Wedding Makeup
- Be the Best Man
- What to look for when buying an informal wedding gown
- How To Choose Chairs For Your Wedding
- Using Wedding Resources that are LGBT Wedding Friendly
- Breaking the Stereotypes about Russian Women
- Brazilian Wedding Traditions
- Love is all Around
- Creating your unique wedding day