27 Chinese Proverbs To Celebrate The Birthday of Confucius
- Author Noel Jameson
- Published September 7, 2007
- Word count 526
When it comes to Chinese proverbs, Confucius quotes tend to be the most enlightening and entertaining. After all, who can forget words like "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."? That's why we're celebrating his August 27th birthday with 27 famous (and not so famous) Confucius quotes.
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star."
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
"The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved."
"Have no friends not equal to yourself."
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."
"Ability will never catch up with the demand for it."
"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger."
"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
"No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance."
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."
"To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it."
"What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."
"When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them."
"The more man meditates upon good thoughts, the better will be his world and the world at large."
"Straightforwardness, without the rules of propriety, becomes rudeness."
"He who will not economize will have to agonize."
"Death and life have their determined appointments; riches and honors depend upon heaven."
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it."
"The father who does not teach his son his duties is equally guilty with the son who neglects them."
"Worry not that no one knows of you; seek to be worth knowing."
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it; hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it."
"Think no vice so small that you may commit it, and no virtue so small that you may over look it."
"The perfecting of one's self is the fundamental base of all progress and all moral development."
"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people."
The Chinese proverbs spoken by Confucius are a testimony to how wise the man truly was. Few people on earth spoke as many truths as he did. Throughout his life, Confucius spoke hundreds of wise words. These 27 Confucius quotes are just a sampling of them.
For more famous quotes, check out the popular famous quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Logical argument about existence
- The Stress of the Orthodox Paths
- Workaholism As Futile
- Examination is not a true test of knowledge
- 3 Philosophical Questions We Should Ask Ourselves Regularly
- On Honesty
- When every day, I tell Janice that I'm her mother, and that her mother is always with her
- When in Janice's orphanage, I talk to Janice about politics of observer being victory of politics over abstract
- When because of Juno Skinner, from True Lies, the US supernatural woman can help me create positive moral tragic
- When the American supernatural woman gave me The Representative, and my past anti-nationalism, so that I can enjoy helping her
- When 21 years ago, the supernatural US woman used Miramax's 54 to tell me that sexy sexy socialism is evil
- When Alicia Silverstone's Batgirl creates communism from tyranny data, so that Janice can live safely in Batman Forever
- When taking the piss takes the piss out of Valak, in the Mullins barn, so that science can be a series of AI psychologies
- When the American supernatural woman turns CNN into a false political anti-magic, so that she can be outsmarted by UK royalty
- When The Craft's Bonnie Harper wants me to love Janice, by turning UK humour's freedom from science into an evil evil
- When I become a UK Prime Minister, so that Alison Parker and Brittney Havers can protect my Annabelle: Creation body
- When I delete my story, The Representative, so that the American people can criticize me if I fail to love Janice
- When future robots choose to end American extramarital affairs, so that my brain can turn Annabelle Creation into a real reality
- When the GOP can't use 112 Ocean Avenue, because the sexiness of the US Senator Kamala Harris opposes Harvard University
- When European men and women are designed by nature to want to serve American businesswomen because the latters support monarchy
- When as Janice's sexy mother, I mess with Europe's royal women by having her see me smoke a cigar in a mansion hot tub
- When I can wear a sequin maxi dress for Janice, because Annabelle Creation has turned me into her sexy American mother
- When American mothers choose to oppose UK monarchs, so that Darth Maul is safe from extramarital affairs and press conferences
- When Scream's Sidney Prescott creates the US, so that Fox News can't copy the UK's vow to ABC's Cecilia Vega
- When The Sentinel's Alison Parker has UK royals think that space is a son of CNN, so that space can be a US trophy wife
- When CNN and the White House create science, so that FHM's Kelly Brook can't turn all adults into female supermodels
- When geology watches the 2004 movie Wild Things 2, in order to remember why it was that a wizard outsmarted the North Pole
- When Heaven refuses to use a mansion like a nightclub, so that all adults can try to wear a suit like ABC's Cecilia Vega
- Shame on You!
- A British computer, that defeats Egyptian Gods so that no aristocrat or monarch is the creator of the sexy American female CEO