Joy is a Choice – Choose to Feel Happy
- Author Brett Walker
- Published June 10, 2011
- Word count 602
Can we Feel Happy When There's so Much Bad News?
Sometimes it is difficult to feel happy when we're continually bombarded by negative news in the media about things such as tsunamis, earthquakes and wars.
As a result, it is easy to become downcast and feel sad allowing our thoughts to dwell on negative things. How can we handle this and maintain a joyful and positive attitude and feel happy? I believe that we can do it by overcoming the negative thoughts with positive thoughts. We need to bombard our minds with positive thoughts and train our minds to think on those things that are happy, joyful and uplifting.
Here are some tips to help us to feel happy:
Forgive yourself for mistakes that you’ve made in the past and don’t dwell on them. Put the past behind you. Learn from it but don’t beat yourself up about the mistakes you’ve made.
If people have hurt you forgive them. If you hold grudges and become bitter it will hurt you more than the person you feel bitter about.
The best way to forget your own problems is to help other people who are in need. Everyday someone needs help in a variety of ways. Is there someone nearby who finds it difficult to get out who you could shop for? Send a greeting card to someone and tell them how much you appreciate them. It could brighten their day.
Think on things that make you laugh
This could be the antics of a pet or it could be happy times that you spent with friends or some great times that you had on holiday. Think on these sort of things and before long you’ll feel happy again.
Listen to uplifting music
Keep a CD handy or put your favourite happy songs on your MP3 player. Listen to them in the background and it will keep you from getting down.
In your life you can find much to be thankful for. Start with the basics like your health, home and food, clothes and family, friends and pets. Make it a daily habit to give thanks for the wonderful things that bless your life.
Have a Vision
Have a vision for what you want to achieve with your life and work towards it. Read books like, "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren to help you find purpose for your life. Start your day this way. If your mind is preoccupied with reaching a worthwhile goal for your life you won’t have time to be unhappy.
Read uplifting books
It’s good to read inspiring books including biographies of successful people. Reading how they have succeeded and overcome obstacles can inspire you to do the same. It’s good to watch biographical films for the same reason. It’s especially good to do this just before going to bed. You will find that you sleep better if you read a positive book or watch an uplifting film just before retiring. Do not watch the Late Night News. Most news in the papers or on TV is bad news because bad news sells, so it will send you to bed with negative thoughts and disturb your sleep.
Happiness is an attitude and it can grow if we help it along. The more often you choose to think happy thoughts rather than sad thoughts the easier and faster it is to become happy and joyful. The benefits of this are enormous because when we feel happy our physical health improves too.
Brett Walker believes in the "Whole Person Approach" to success and helped produce "The Successful Living Handbook" . Find out more and sign Up For Brett Walker's Newsletter by visiting his website at: http://www.brettwalkeronline.comArticle source: http://articlebiz.com
- Your Authentic Self: Love Who You Are Right Now
- Best Tips for Getting Rid from Head lice in Sydney
- To Create Change, You Have To Change
- Tired Of Fighting Without Resolution?
- 3 Steps To Building Connection Habits™
- Enhance Your Life With Better Boundaries!
- Need Fathering In Your Life?
- How Did 8 Simple daily habits give you a happier life
- This is why trying to be happy actually will backfire.
- How to Have a Stress-Less Holiday! 5 Tips to Survive & Thrive This Holiday Season
- Nice Chinese guys win hearts in the interracial relationships
- 7 Simple Hints to Manage Your Stress Level
- Winning Through Defeat: Eleven Commandments for Elections Losers
- Bluebirds Bring Hope
- Grati-texts & Grati-tweets - From High Tech to High Touch
- Attitude of Gratitude: 5 Facts to Be Grateful For
- Reaching Inner Peace Through Inspirational Books and Quotes
- Discover 5 Great Ways To Take Back Your Life
- Do You Need Approval?
- A Moment of Gratitude..
- Finding Your Passion
- Act Like a Lady Think Like a Man
- Living Your Life In Forward Motion!
- How to build self confidence - 5 easy tips
- Meditation – Starting the Right Place
- Mindfulness – Guided Technique
- Winter Blues Can Feel Like You're Stuck In A Month Of Wednesdays
- How to be Happy and Stress-Free All The Time
- Be Happy By Dealing With Your True Feelings
- It’s Your Right to Be Happy