How to make sure your car doesn’t fail its MOT
- Author Amy Hargreaves
- Published August 21, 2019
- Word count 473
If your car is more than 3 years old, you will have to have a MOT every year to check that it is still safe to drive on the roads on the anniversary of the last test. To minimise your car failing its MOT, you can carry out your own mini MOT to check that everything is in place.
Where can you find out whether your car needs a MOT?
Each car, once it’s passed its MOT, will receive a MOT test certificate and the date will be stamped onto the certificate. If you misplace this then you can go onto the GOV website, entering your car registration and make. This will also check your tax status.
Can you drive your car without a MOT?
No. It is illegal to drive your car without a current MOT. There is no grace period of your MOT date, as soon as this has passed its testing date, it is then illegal to drive. Your tax will then also be void, as you cannot tax a car without an updated MOT certificate. The only two exceptions of this is actually driving your car to its MOT, as long as it has already been booked in. The second exception is that if your car is older than 40 years, you will no longer need a MOT at all.
If you do not drive your car, you can declare your car as off road (SORN).
How long does a MOT take?
A MOT can take up to 45 minutes, you can wait for your test to be completed, or you can come and collect it after.
How can you prepare for your MOT?
Lower the chances of your car failing its MOT by following the below checks:
Give the horn a beep to see if it’s still working
Make sure all fluids are topped up: Breaks, oil and windscreen
Check your tyre tread using a 20p
Keep your car clean, if your car is looking like a complete mess, the examiner may refuse to carry out the test
Ensure that your number plate is clean, so it is readable
Rubber blades on the windscreen wipers must not have any cuts or tears in them, due to them having to clear your windscreen for you they must be in a good condition
Both the windscreen washers and wipers are working
Check that all your lights are working
If your car has a tow bar, make sure it is not corroded or loose
The seat belts must be in a good condition, not frayed or cut
By following these simple steps, you can potentially save yourself the time and cost of a retest. When the test finally comes around, make sure to do your research and go for a reputable garage.
Bromley Car Repairs is a well represented Bromley garage offering MOTs, repairs, car servicing and more. With a knowledgable and dedicated team, you can be sure to receive a great service, without the dealership prices.http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Beginners guide to engine terms
- Useful Tips To Know When Installing And Removing A Car Battery
- Removing Graffiti in USA Made Easier
- The Best Service Of Clear Film Removal At JLN Overspray
- Process of hiring for the remove overspray from plastic service
- 5 Steps To Take When Involved In An Accident
- What Vehicle Repairs Can You Learn to Do?
- Do You Really Need a Regular Car Service?
- Car air conditioning problems? How to fix it
- Car Service Perth Advice: Home Maintenance Can Really Help
- How Easy-Run Engine Test Stands Shine Above the Rest
- Get the Best Automotive Repair Manual for You
- Blower motor resistor replacement
- Stepper Motor replacement for Nissan Tida / Livina /Teana
- COG LCD display Replacement
- ACC Unit LCD Display For Seat Leon / Toledo
- Commercial HVAC Tips to Save You Money this Summer
- Hire the certified technician for Edison heating repair
- Pièces détachées moto – Consider 3 important types!
- Replacing Excavator Components: OEM or Aftermarket Parts?
- The Advantages of Diesel
- Tips For Finding a Great Mechanic
- The Best Way To Go About Becoming A Mercedes-Benz Mechanic
- Build your garage's reputation on the quality of your automotive lift service
- 4 Factors to Consider When Replacing Factory Exhaust Tips
- Knowing How To Replace The Fuel Filter On Your Pickup Truck
- Jaguar S Type Shifter Part malfunction
- Auto Restoration 101: Essential Tips for Used Car Restoration
- What Do You Know About Car Restoration