6 Steps to Creating Your Very Own Maintenance Free Landscape on Long Island
- Author Kevin Godberson
- Published March 9, 2012
- Word count 442
In the world of landscaping, any reputable landscape company would tell you that the key to a maintenance free property starts with a proper (what we call in the Long Island community) ‘‘Spring Opening’’ or ‘‘Spring Clean-up’’.
We all want a maintenance free property… Don’t we? So here are 6 steps to help you create your very own maintenance free landscape.
Step # 1 – Raking Leaves and Thatching Grass
Start by raking all leaves, sticks and acorns from all flower beds and thatch all grass areas. This will give you a clean foundation to start from. Now your lawn areas can breath and are ready for the first application of lawn crabgrass control with fertilizer.
Step # 2 – Weeding and Mulching
All beds should be treated with a healthy layer of mulch to slow down the germination of weeds. A pre-emergence weed control can be used to also stop the weeds from coming up. A good covering should be put down over soil before the mulch is spread. Who wants to weed beds on the weekend? NOT ME.
Step # 3 – Crabgrass Control
For a lawn to really prosper it should have an application of pre-emergence Crabgrass control put down. This will stop crabgrass from flourishing later in the season. Spot seed all bare areas so the lawn fills in. Be sure to keep fertilizer away from bare areas as it will stop the seed from germinating.
Step# 4 – Watering Your Lawn
At this time you should water the fertilized areas in order to green up your lawn. If you have a sprinkler system, make sure you inspect each head for proper operation. Rotation of heads and spray distance is important to get entire lawn watered. You don’t want areas of your lawn to burn up as they take a long time to come back to life.
Step# 5 – Crabgrass Control – (revisited)
After about 4 weeks I like to go back and put down a second application of crabgrass control. This will ensure that you have covered the entire lawn. One application never works 100% and you may end up with some crabgrass that will seed itself across the rest of your lawn. Trust me the second application really works.
Step# 6 - Weed control
Spraying of flower beds with weed killer will help with the weed control. This will stop any weeds that may have germinated in your flower bed areas. Be sure not to over spray onto flowers or bushes as this will burn or even kill plants.
So in closing, follow the above 6 steps to your best ability and transform your Long island landscape into one that’s both extremely easy on the eye as well as maintenance free.
Kevin Godberson is Founder and President of Godberson Landscaping – a landscaping design and maintenance company that has been transforming yards for Suffolk County homeowners from boring to beautiful since 1991.For more landscaping tips visit us online at www.godbersonlandscaping.com.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Your Ultimate Guide To Adding Plants To Your Pond
- A Few Steps To Get Your Fountain Running Efficiently This Spring
- The Basics of Aquatic Plants
- Selecting the Right Tree Shape for Your Space
- What’s Included In The Cost To Install A Fence?
- Few Landscaping Facts That Most People Don’t Know
- 3 Steps to Choosing the Correct Lawn Grass: Perth Landscapers Advice
- How to Deal with Patchy Grass Issues: Perth Landscaping Design Advice
- 6 Tips to Protect Water Bores: Perth Expert Advice
- Adding a Water Feature to Your Lawn
- 4 Reasons To Do Winter Landscape Construction
- Landscaping Services Perth: Hardscaping Design
- Adding Colour to Landscape Design Perth
- Best Nail Polish and Makeup Remover
- How Can I Find the Pool Design Expert?
- Taking Care of a Pool in Arizona
- Swimming Pool Construction Services in NJ
- Reticulation Installation by Perth Retic Experts
- Reticulation Services in Perth by Professionals
- The Best Experts for Landscape Design NJ
- Top Watering Tips
- Custom Pool Contractor in New Jersey
- Looking for Inground Pool Professional in New Jersey?
- Salt Water Pool System Installation
- Best Professional Technicians for Swimming Pool Construction
- Best Inground Swimming Pool Services
- Importance of Pool Landscaping Design
- Gunite Pool Company Surprised You by Stunning Pool
- A Guide to Perth Water Days
- Why You Should Hire an Expert Pool Installation Contractor for Build Pool?