Executive Coaching: The Online Interview
- Author Kevin Hand
- Published December 24, 2010
- Word count 300
Get Visual - Are You Ready for Your Close Up?
Executive Coaching. Technology helps us get face to face when geography presents a challenge for in-person conversations. On a global job market, online interviews are becoming more and more common.
We've come across some interesting situations using Skype and thought it would be helpful to suggest some do's and don'ts when conducting interviews this way.
Phone interviews used to be somewhat safe because the candidate didn't have to worry about what he or she looked like during the call. Not anymore. In one instance a marketing executive candidate being interviewed via Skype had on a cotton Rugby shirt. Needless to say, he didn't make it to the next round. In another interview, the candidate's daughter wandered into the room and while on camera, the candidate picked her up and placed her on his lap, continuing the conversation. You need to be diligent with all the details when you participate in Skype interviews.
Video Interviewing with Skype by Alison Doyle offers several suggestions to prepare for Skype interviews. From background to lighting and make up, remember that you are judged on presentation and appearance. Think about the environment too. Will the dog bark during the interview?
Practice with a friend before you interview. Time.com Internet Video has a wonderful five-minute report on interviewing via Skype.
Keep the background simple.
Dress as if you are meeting in person.
Men, wear a suit and tie, not just the top part.
Women, style your hair and apply make-up.
Look in the camera, not the monitor.
Time.com has a great article about Skype interviews. It includes advice from a former news anchor about how we perceive people via camera versus in person. It includes lighting, framing, and using color to your advantage.
Kevin Hand from Hand & Associates [http://handandassociates.com] is an experienced top tier management consultant, specializing in Executive Search and Executive Coaching, servicing many of the top 100 companies in the US.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- 3 Tips on Updating Your Resume in the Wake of COVID-19
- A Guide to the Four Basic Functions of a Motor Starter
- What is the need of hiring a professional photographer?
- The Importance of Brand Messaging for a Successful Website Redesign
- Closed Captioning Services: All You Need To Know About It
- Personal Branding Tips to Boost Business Success
- How to Create a Powerful Corporate Brand
- The Importance of Building and Maintaining a Good Credit Rating
- Does Your Website Need a Content Makeover?
- An Introduction To IPTV
- 5 things to consider before you buy a multifunction printer for the office
- 6 Website Must-Have’s for Small Businesses
- Secrets to Creating a Visual Brand Identity That Sets You Apart
- 7 Crucial Elements to Building an Effective Personal Brand
- Planning to Start A Cafe? Know What Types Of Furniture Will Work!
- Is Jealously the Biggest Culprit in Thwarting Your Business Growth?
- Less is More......
- How Can a Business Select an Excellent Venue to Hold Conferences, Company Parties, and Other Business Events
- 10 Superstar Networking Tips to Grow Your Business
- Why Your New Program Launch Could Fail (And How to Prevent it)
- Eight top-notch companies with disappointing websites
- Grow your business in New Zealand with effective presentations
- How to Gesture-AKA; What do I do with my hands?
- Membership Suite Plus: The Customizable Online Course/Training Platform
- The Importance of Having a Crisis Communications Plan in Place for Emergency Management for Business
- CB radio or "citizens band" radio is the perfect medium range communications tool
- 4 Ways to Grab the Attention of Your Audience
- 3 Myths about Why People Can’t Change
- What Makes A Nice Digital Edition?
- Do you Care Enough to Know What You Have To before Hiring a Translation Agency?