Public Speaking Fear - what is is exactly and how can we conquer it?
- Author John Livingston
- Published February 26, 2011
- Word count 489
Many people in our daily life’s are afraid of public speaking, also known as glossophobia. And why is that? Why are people afraid, no, terrified of public speaking? Well the answer comes in various forms such as fear of failure, self doubt, vulnerability, fear of a large audience, fear of people judging you, stress, lack of preparation, don’t know how and the list can continue.
Do you know what is the number one fear of people? It’s not death, it’s speaking in front of a large audience. A survey has been made in which people admit that they would prefer to be in the loved ones coffin than tell a few words about their beloved.
Sigmund Freud said once that our every act is motivated from two directions: "our sexual appetite and our desire for greatness". An even more profound answer comes form John Dewey one of the greatest american philosophers which said that the deepest desire of human nature is that of "being important".
Everybody wants to be appreciated, wants to be viewed as an important person on different levels. What does public speaking do? Well you are in front of a large audience of tens, hundreds or thousands of people so that means that you are in the center of attention, but the fear of not being appreciated anymore generated by fear of failure makes people so afraid. It’s not that people don’t know what to say it’s that fact they are not used to what they desire the most. This desire of being important comes in many forms and ways; public speaking may be one of them.
I strongly recommend you to conquer this fear of public speaking. It’s something quite majestic to be able to talk in front of a large audience to be listened and to be applauded. It’s true that it’s a challenge even for those who do this for years. It’s not easy and sometimes can be nerve-racking but without a single doubt it’s fun doing it. Just imagine a few thousand people laugh at your joke or be amazed by your speech. It’s priceless. A very wise man said once "A life lived in fear is a life half lived".
And think of the end when you see all those people give you a round of applause and congratulate you by saying "What a great speech" or "Your presentation changed my life" or anything else.
A great step in conquering public speaking fear is understanding this core principle that everyone of us wants attention. We do this daily, we speak daily in front of people, we know how to speak, we know what to say, we are prepared. The only thing left to do is actually doing it and you will see that once you’re there and people applaud you, your confidence will rise like a rocket.
There are no posted comments.
- 3 Tips on Updating Your Resume in the Wake of COVID-19
- A Guide to the Four Basic Functions of a Motor Starter
- What is the need of hiring a professional photographer?
- The Importance of Brand Messaging for a Successful Website Redesign
- Closed Captioning Services: All You Need To Know About It
- Personal Branding Tips to Boost Business Success
- How to Create a Powerful Corporate Brand
- The Importance of Building and Maintaining a Good Credit Rating
- Does Your Website Need a Content Makeover?
- An Introduction To IPTV
- 5 things to consider before you buy a multifunction printer for the office
- 6 Website Must-Have’s for Small Businesses
- Secrets to Creating a Visual Brand Identity That Sets You Apart
- 7 Crucial Elements to Building an Effective Personal Brand
- Planning to Start A Cafe? Know What Types Of Furniture Will Work!
- Is Jealously the Biggest Culprit in Thwarting Your Business Growth?
- Less is More......
- How Can a Business Select an Excellent Venue to Hold Conferences, Company Parties, and Other Business Events
- 10 Superstar Networking Tips to Grow Your Business
- Why Your New Program Launch Could Fail (And How to Prevent it)
- Eight top-notch companies with disappointing websites
- Grow your business in New Zealand with effective presentations
- How to Gesture-AKA; What do I do with my hands?
- Membership Suite Plus: The Customizable Online Course/Training Platform
- The Importance of Having a Crisis Communications Plan in Place for Emergency Management for Business
- CB radio or "citizens band" radio is the perfect medium range communications tool
- 4 Ways to Grab the Attention of Your Audience
- 3 Myths about Why People Can’t Change
- What Makes A Nice Digital Edition?
- Do you Care Enough to Know What You Have To before Hiring a Translation Agency?