What are the Characteristics Of Better Annual Reports?
- Author Feisty Ash
- Published August 20, 2011
- Word count 746
Definition of an Annual Report
An annual report can be defined as,
"As the name indicates, it is an annual publication that public corporations must provide to shareholders to describe their operations and financial conditions".
"An annual report is a comprehensive report on a company’s activities throughout the preceding year".
Design & Template of a Basic Annual Report
Typically, the design and template of a standard annual report comprises of the following components:
Report by Chairperson
Report by CEO
Corporate Governance Report
Letters to the Shareholders
Corporate Governance Statement of Compliance
Awards, Grants and Loans
Managements Discussion and Analysis
Auditor’s Report on Financial Statements
Statement of Retained Earnings
Cash Flow Statement
Notes to the Financial Statements
The front part of the report often contains an impressive combination of graphics, photos and an accompanying narrative, all of which chronicle the company’s activities over the past year.
The back part of the report contains detailed financial and operational information.
Significance of an Annual Report
The purpose of annual reports is to give the shareholders and other interested parties information about the company’s financial performance. It is considered mandatory by most jurisdictions that companies disclose their financial performance for shareholders and prospective investors at the end of financial year.
Companies listed on a stock exchange are also required to release annual reports. Most of the information disclosed in annual reports in quantitative since its main focus is on the financial operations. In addition to communicating the financial performance of the company, annual reports also communicate the readers about the technological innovations and strategic revision taken up by the company. The words by the chairperson inform the shareholders that their investment is in safe hands.
How to Write an Annual Report?
Here are a few easy steps which will help you in learning best practices for writing an annual report for your business:
First of all, you need to gather financial data of the company for the past twelve months.
You also need to gain information on the key activities of the company which helped in increasing revenues.
Discuss the financial performance of the company with the members of finance department and board in particular.
Focus on Accomplishments
Once you have all the necessary information in hand, go through it and pick out points which focus on the accomplishments of the company.
You must know that your readers are not interested in knowing about the company’s philosophy and values; what they are looking for is how you carried out a particular activity and how it helped you in achieving your mission and objectives.
Talk about any innovations and strategy modifications which have helped the company gain profit. You can also share your future plans regarding the improvement of financial situation of the company.
Financial Statements and Notes
Present accurate financial data through your balance sheet, income sheet and cash flow statement.
For every financial entry you make, there must be an explanatory note. Refrain from wild and untruthful statements.
The annual report should contain graphics, colorful texts, art work and photos which must be linked to the company’s accomplishments.
Add captions; this will leave a positive impression on the shareholders and potential donors.
Pictures validate the work your organization does. Remember, not to overdo the graphics and headings.
Set Up a Theme
Build a theme for your annual report since it provides you a framework for graphics and language.
For developing a theme, invite the opinion of key staff and board members. Possible themes could be ‘Thanks to Our Pioneers’ or ‘1000 Homes in Five Years’.
Highlight Your Activities
You need to put your significant programs, activities and projects up front.
The shareholders and corporate donors are interested in knowing the key benefits the company has provided to the community and the support you have received.
Focus on basics like who, what, where, how and why.
Keep it Concise
Ensure that the annual report must be concise and to the point. Unnecessary and detailed information will put off the interested parties.
Set a Budget
Design a budget for the formulation of annual report.
The budget must include the cost of printing, hiring graphic designers, content writers, photographers and the staff time.
Examples of Annual Reports
Google annual report
Nike annual report
Dell annual report
Starbucks annual report
Apple annual report
Microsoft annual report
Nestle annual report
Wal-Mart annual report
There are no posted comments.
- A Guide to the Four Basic Functions of a Motor Starter
- What is the need of hiring a professional photographer?
- The Importance of Brand Messaging for a Successful Website Redesign
- Closed Captioning Services: All You Need To Know About It
- Personal Branding Tips to Boost Business Success
- How to Create a Powerful Corporate Brand
- The Importance of Building and Maintaining a Good Credit Rating
- Does Your Website Need a Content Makeover?
- An Introduction To IPTV
- 5 things to consider before you buy a multifunction printer for the office
- 6 Website Must-Have’s for Small Businesses
- Secrets to Creating a Visual Brand Identity That Sets You Apart
- 7 Crucial Elements to Building an Effective Personal Brand
- Planning to Start A Cafe? Know What Types Of Furniture Will Work!
- Is Jealously the Biggest Culprit in Thwarting Your Business Growth?
- Less is More......
- How Can a Business Select an Excellent Venue to Hold Conferences, Company Parties, and Other Business Events
- 10 Superstar Networking Tips to Grow Your Business
- Why Your New Program Launch Could Fail (And How to Prevent it)
- Eight top-notch companies with disappointing websites
- Grow your business in New Zealand with effective presentations
- How to Gesture-AKA; What do I do with my hands?
- Membership Suite Plus: The Customizable Online Course/Training Platform
- The Importance of Having a Crisis Communications Plan in Place for Emergency Management for Business
- CB radio or "citizens band" radio is the perfect medium range communications tool
- 4 Ways to Grab the Attention of Your Audience
- 3 Myths about Why People Can’t Change
- What Makes A Nice Digital Edition?
- Do you Care Enough to Know What You Have To before Hiring a Translation Agency?
- MICEP hosted Professor Dr. Daniel G. Fuchs as Guest Speaker