Preparing Your New Jersey Landscape for Fall
- Author Dennis Malibashka
- Published November 10, 2011
- Word count 543
As every homeowner knows, maintaining a beautiful landscape is a year-round activity. It’s not just about planting in the spring, enjoying the fruits of a lush, green lawn in the summer, raking leaves in the fall and gazing out the window in the winter pining for warmer and livelier days.
And while there’s not much you can do for your lawn in the winter—especially in northeast states such as New Jersey—there’s plenty you can do with fall landscapes in the autumn. Indeed, landscape preparation for fall is an overlooked yet very valuable way to ensure your lawn remains in good shape 365 days a year. Here are some fall landscaping tips to follow that will keep your lawn in the best condition possible!
Add to the landscape: Preparation for fall isn’t just about maintaining what you have and readying the lawn for winter. While spring is the most popular season during which to plant seeds, fall is actually the best season to do so because the less rainy weather will give homeowners more time to work in the yard, even if the actual number of daylight hours is drastically less. Fall is a good time to plant perennials as well as shrubs and trees. Feel free to plant cool-season vegetables such as carrots, turnips, potatoes and a variety of greens such as lettuce. Just make sure to plant these seeds six weeks in advance of the first freeze. There’s no reason fall landscaping can’t provide you further reasons to show off newer creations to friends, family and neighbors!
Take care of your container plants: Because these plants are in containers and not in the ground, they are often overlooked when it comes to moving vulnerable plants inside. Make sure, in particular, to get tropical plants inside well before the temperatures start heading south, because these plants won’t survive long during a sudden NJ cold snap. Taking perennials from containers, putting them straight into the garden and beginning to grow them while the weather is still relatively warm is also a popular fall landscaping choice.
Keep your property bird-friendly: This might sound like an odd bit of landscape preparation for fall, but the more birds you have surrounding your yard, the better you’ll control the insect population! And the birds snacking on pesky insects will, in turn, save you money since you won’t have to spray insecticides regularly.
Fertilize the lawn—twice, if possible: Fertilizing your lawn will strengthen its roots and provide a stronger base come spring. For best results, fertilize the lawn in October and again in November before the first freeze arrives. The best fertilization is a mixture of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium.
Don’t skimp on the routine tasks: This is an underrated yet essential part of fall landscapes. Make sure to continue mowing the lawn, weeding out the garden and, especially, raking the leaves that fall. Keeping the lawn as clean as possible will help your growing efforts come spring.
Fall landscapes can be as gratifying and productive as landscaping efforts during any other time of the year. With the seasons about to change, make sure to start your fall landscape efforts in New Jersey as soon as possible!
Jersey Landscaping, LLC. started in 1976 when Dennis Malibashka decided to pursue his passion and hobby of landscape design. Today, Dennis & Chase Malibashka have succeeded in developing a multi-faceted contracting company capable of servicing all aspects of residential or commercial landscape design and decor in New Jersey.Article source: http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Your Ultimate Guide To Adding Plants To Your Pond
- A Few Steps To Get Your Fountain Running Efficiently This Spring
- The Basics of Aquatic Plants
- Selecting the Right Tree Shape for Your Space
- What’s Included In The Cost To Install A Fence?
- Few Landscaping Facts That Most People Don’t Know
- 3 Steps to Choosing the Correct Lawn Grass: Perth Landscapers Advice
- How to Deal with Patchy Grass Issues: Perth Landscaping Design Advice
- 6 Tips to Protect Water Bores: Perth Expert Advice
- Adding a Water Feature to Your Lawn
- 4 Reasons To Do Winter Landscape Construction
- Landscaping Services Perth: Hardscaping Design
- Adding Colour to Landscape Design Perth
- Best Nail Polish and Makeup Remover
- How Can I Find the Pool Design Expert?
- Taking Care of a Pool in Arizona
- Swimming Pool Construction Services in NJ
- Reticulation Installation by Perth Retic Experts
- Reticulation Services in Perth by Professionals
- The Best Experts for Landscape Design NJ
- Top Watering Tips
- Custom Pool Contractor in New Jersey
- Looking for Inground Pool Professional in New Jersey?
- Salt Water Pool System Installation
- Best Professional Technicians for Swimming Pool Construction
- Best Inground Swimming Pool Services
- Importance of Pool Landscaping Design
- Gunite Pool Company Surprised You by Stunning Pool
- A Guide to Perth Water Days
- Why You Should Hire an Expert Pool Installation Contractor for Build Pool?