Can You Take Tums While Pregnant?
- Author Elizabeth Parentsfullbox
- Published January 24, 2017
- Word count 443
Tums is generally safe. According to the official Tums website, 48% of pregnant women will suffer from heartburn. And Tums is just one of some of the most recommended treatment options to alleviate the symptoms of heartburn.
The manufacturer recommends that you consult with your health advisor on whether it's safe for you to take Tums.
What Causes Heartburn?
It's important to first understand why heartburn occurs in pregnant women if you don't want to take Tums while pregnant. Often called indigestion or acid reflux, heartburn can happen to anyone, but it's more common in pregnant women.
What occurs is that you'll feel a burning sensation that can extend from your breast bone under of your throat.
Pregnant women will deal with heartburn more frequently because of the placenta. The placenta will start to release a hormone called progesterone. The increased production of this hormone is extremely important for pregnancy because it will relax the muscles in the uterus.
The muscles are relaxed in preparation for birth, so it's an essential part of pregnancy.
But progesterone will also cause the valve in the esophagus to relax, too. As the valve relaxes, this allows gastric acids in your stomach to seep back up through the valve. This is the acid that will cause the unpleasant burning sensation in your throat.
In short: the gastric acid that is meant to remain in your stomach will seep into your throat.
Tums and Heartburn
Tums is considered an antacid. These antacids will provide very rapid relief for heartburn. While not specially formulated for women that are pregnant, Tums is found to be safe for usage, baseding upon the millions of pregnant women that use this antacid on a regular basis to stop acid reflux in its tracks.
The good news is that Tums also includes calcium-- a needed mineral during pregnancy.
You may also be on an iron supplement and several other supplements. It is recommended that you take Tums two hours apart from other medicines for the best results. If you take Tums according to this recommendation, you'll ensure that the potency of Tums is not dampened by other medications.
According to the official Tums website, 48% of pregnant women will suffer from heartburn. Pregnant women will suffer from heartburn more frequently as a result of the placenta. While not specially formulated for women that are pregnant, Tums is found to be safe for usage, according to the millions of pregnant women that use this antacid on a regular basis to stop acid reflux in its tracks.
If you take Tums according to this recommendation, you'll ensure that the potency of Tums is not dampened by other medications.
There are no posted comments.
- Midwifery Annual Congress 2019
- Gender Reveal Party Ideas With Color Powder
- So You Don't Sleep Well During Pregnancy? Read This Tips!
- The Naked Truth Now Exposed! "You Are Not The Only Person Concerned About The 5 Fat And Pregnant Childbirth Defects?"
- What is Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopic Surgery Methods - Simpler Operations
- A List Of Healthy Food To Eat While Pregnant
- Making a Wise Choice with Free Printable Baby Shower Games
- PUPPP Treatments
- About PUPPP
- What is PUPPP?
- Different Baby Bottle Nipples
- Different Baby Bottle Brands
- Tips To Help You Enjoy Your Pregnancy!
- 5 Nutritional Foods to Eat When Pregnant
- How to Prepare for First Pregnancy
- 3D vs 4D Ultrasound
- Thermometers and Babies
- Pregnancy Naturally
- Finding a Fertility Doctor in the Greater Olathe Area
- Find a Missouri Fertility Clinic to Get Help Starting Your Family
- Get Pregnant With a Boy - It Is Possible To Conceive a Boy
- How An Abortion Pill Works
- Diet to Conceive a Boy - Ensure You Have A Baby Boy
- Issues to Consider with Egg Donation in Overland Park
- My View on Home and Water Birth As a Father and How I Prepared
- The Wonderful Benefits of Pre- and Postnatal Massage
- Finding A Donor Egg in Kansas City
- Fertility Specialist Kansas City - About Surrogacy
- A Primer on In Vitro Fertilization Kansas City Services