Does Your Website Need a Content Makeover?
- Author Susan Friesen
- Published April 10, 2018
- Word count 808
Businesses adapt and change as they grow and often these changes are overlooked on their website.
While you may have added another offering and placed it in your website navigation, it's important to assess how that new product or service alters your overall goals with your user and to respond to user behaviour.
It may not be a new service but a new goal for your business. Take stock of your goals and see if they're reflected in your current content.
A content makeover isn't the same as a new website.
You'll be keeping your same CMS and theme and working on what is displayed and how users find it.
Keep reading for the specific areas to pay attention to when evaluating your website and determining it's need for a content makeover.
Install Google Analytics
When your website was first created, Google Analytics may not have been installed in order to assess its performance. Now that your site is running, it's a good time to get that code in there. If you need help with that just let us know in the comments or contact us directly and we'll make sure you have Google's free analytics running properly.
Having this analytical data is a great way to start a content makeover. Within that data you will be able to see how your users used your website. This can really change your focus and show you what users see value in.
Analyze Social Media Data
Another great spot to check is your social media. If you haven't been updating it or using any sort of content strategy, don't worry. While it is vastly preferable to have those essential bases covered, your account will still be able to show you a little bit about how your users perceive you and who is interested in your business.
Look for any keywords relevant to something you offer in the descriptions and bios of accounts who follow yours. Now click through to their accounts and get reading! If someone specializes in what you do and is sharing content about it, you can use their own engagement to help direct your content update.
What did their followers like? What did they share most? If you offer something related to it and haven't placed any importance on it or it's a new offering, then you know to update that so it's more prominently available to your users when they land on your Home page.
You want to emphasize what you can see users are interested in. In doing so you can reduce the number of clicks it takes before your users get to their desired page within your website.
Prune the Clutter
This is also a great opportunity to prune anything that has seen no traffic or ROI and isn't essential to your business.
Some business owners even don't remember what is on their website after a while so make sure you read every single word on every page just in case you have some outdated information.
A cluttered navigation is an easy way to put users off. When it comes to websites, the golden rule of 3 still applies: no more than 3 steps in between a user landing on your website and them finding what they want. Plus, no more than 3 seconds for the page to load so they can find what they're after.
If you don't have those covered then your website will not perform as well as it could. Delete what you don't need and neaten up that nav!
Evaluate Site Performance
Now some technical tips. These will be kept simple but if you really want your website to perform contact our web development experts.
The technical and search engine optimization side of websites are much more connected than ever before. Google really puts a magnifying glass over your site when evaluating how you will rank.
Even if you have every on-site SEO signal on your site, they don't mean as much as performance indicators like bounce rate (how often someone lands on your site and leaves right away) or time on site (how long they stay on a page once they landed on it).
Site performance is key. Look for anything slowing your website's load time. You might be running an outdated plugin, have images that are far too large, or be loading certain code called scripts, which should be deferred until your content is visible to the user without scrolling.
If you can see your website is loading slowly but aren't sure what's causing it, then contact us and we'll show you why that's happening.
Start with a Site Analysis
Your content makeover shouldn't be something you dread and doesn't have to be painful. Expect it to take weeks or even months and don't stress over it.
The best place to start when attempting your makeover is a professional website audit.
Susan Friesen, founder of the award-winning web development and digital marketing firm eVision Media.
If you are new to Social Media and online marketing or find it overwhelming and confusing, my monthly group coaching program, AMPLIFY! Business Academy http://amplifybusinessacademy.com/ is a perfect way for you to incrementally learn the best strategies and tactics to help you grow your business online.Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Mastering Effective Presentations: Elevate Your Business Communication Skills
- Speaking Publicly? Here’s Why You Should Whiten Your Teeth First
- Stretch Ceilings in Lithuania: Why They are So Popular
- The hydroponics way
- Briefing UP: Delivering Pitch Perfect Briefings to Senior Leaders
- Keeping the Connection: Presenting to Non-Native Speakers
- Executive Presence: The Secret Sauce That Powers It
- 6 Critical Considerations Before Building A WordPress Website
- Facial Cosmetic Treatment & Your Big Presentation: Does One Influence the Other?
- 7 Things You Must NOT Do When Presenting Your Innovation at Work: a blog about tips on presenting to a team or coworker.
- How Too Many Emerging Leaders Erode Their Reputation When Presenting
- Top 10 Companies in Need of Transcription Services
- What is the job of a Transcriptionist?
- How To Create Google Charts Like The Sankey Diagram
- What is a Standoff?
- Developing powerful visuals for your presentation
- How To Write A Super Resume In 2020
- 3 Tips on Updating Your Resume in the Wake of COVID-19
- A Guide to the Four Basic Functions of a Motor Starter
- What is the need of hiring a professional photographer?
- The Importance of Brand Messaging for a Successful Website Redesign
- Closed Captioning Services: All You Need To Know About It
- Personal Branding Tips to Boost Business Success
- How to Create a Powerful Corporate Brand
- The Importance of Building and Maintaining a Good Credit Rating
- An Introduction To IPTV
- 5 things to consider before you buy a multifunction printer for the office
- 6 Website Must-Have’s for Small Businesses
- Secrets to Creating a Visual Brand Identity That Sets You Apart