Uncovering Elder Abuse in Atlanta, GA: Recognizing Signs and Seeking Justice
- Author Emmanuel De Guzman
- Published November 14, 2023
- Word count 508
In Atlanta, Georgia, over 35,000 citizens currently call nursing homes their residence. While many receive commendable care, a disturbing reality persists – some are subjected to abuse or neglect. Understanding the different types of elder abuse and knowing when to contact a Georgia nursing home abuse lawyer is crucial in safeguarding the well-being of our vulnerable senior citizens.
Common Forms of Nursing Home Abuse
Medical neglect occurs when nursing home staff fails to provide adequate care, including neglecting to provide food, medicine, or hygiene services. Administering incorrect medications or incorrect dosages also falls under medical neglect.
Physical Abuse and Assault
Shockingly, a study by Michigan State University suggests that up to 24.3 percent of nursing home residents may have experienced physical abuse. This includes violent acts such as punching, kicking, and choking, significantly elevating the risk of mortality for the victims.
Mental or Emotional Abuse
Residents may endure deep psychological wounds, post-traumatic stress, and depression due to mental or emotional abuse. This can include name-calling, racial slurs, limiting visits, threatening behavior, and insulting residents based on their looks or medical conditions.
Vulnerable residents may fall prey to sexual predators within nursing homes, experiencing unwanted groping, touching, or even sexual assault. The physical and emotional toll of such abuse can leave lasting scars on senior citizens.
Exploiting relationships with patients, some caregivers attempt to gain control over their finances. Individuals with Alzheimer's or dementia are particularly vulnerable to financial abuse, as caregivers may manipulate them into adding names to accounts or naming them as beneficiaries.
Fraud and Identity Theft
Nursing home residents may become victims of fraud or identity theft, with criminals stealing sensitive information for personal gain. This can lead to significant financial damage, especially for those who lack the resources to rectify credit or financial history issues.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
Recognizing the signs of abuse is crucial for prompt intervention
Unexplained injuries or bruises
Malnutrition or sudden weight loss
Drastic behavioral changes
Fearful reactions to specific staff members
Ulcers or bed sores
Repeated requests to be moved to another facility
Caregivers appearing to lurk or eavesdrop
Staff members showing undue interest in obtaining personal information
Why Contact a Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Atlanta?
When facing the daunting task of investigating a nursing home abuse claim, seeking legal guidance is essential. At Westmoreland, Patterson, Moseley & Hinson, our attorneys possess the expertise to navigate the complexities of elder abuse cases, helping you gather evidence and build a compelling case. We are familiar with the tactics used by nursing home staff to cover up abuse, ensuring that your pursuit of justice is thorough and effective.
When to Contact a Lawyer?
Acting swiftly is imperative when elder abuse is suspected. Contacting a Georgia nursing home abuse lawyer at the earliest indication of abuse increases the likelihood of preserving crucial evidence before it can be altered or destroyed by nursing home staff. If attempts to resolve the issue independently prove futile, having legal representation signals to the nursing home that you are prepared to take decisive action.
Rob Schenk, a distinguished trial lawyer, specializes in nursing home abuse cases. Recognized with the Georgia Rising Star award for 2015-2017 and Martindale-Hubbell's AV Preeminent Rating, Rob earned his Juris Doctor from Georgia State University. With international advocacy experience, he is licensed in Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, California, and New York. Contact him at (678) 737-2678.
Website: https://www.schenkfirm.com/Article source: https://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- The Latest Innovations in Technology for Seniors
- Things to consider before buying a retirement property
- Is There Any Such Thing as Being Too Old for Dental Implants?
- 4 Reasons Regular Dental Care for Seniors in Assisted Living Is Important
- Paying for Long Term Care
- Why the job of a carer is vital at Christmas
- 7 Things To Know To Help Aging Veterans
- Simple Medical Alert Devices For Seniors
- Seniors Places Connect Independent Living, Assisted Living & Memory Care Communities
- Is It a Miracle or a Coincidence?
- The Importance of Dental Care for Seniors
- How Commercial Cleaning Can Benefit Your Business
- Goodbye Momma...
- Insurance Industry inflicts more pain on COVID affected Care Homes
- Knoxville Funeral Services: Five Benefits of Pre-Planning Services
- The Gentry Griffey Knoxville Funeral Home Understands How You Feel.
- Programs and Services for the Elderly in California
- How To Spend This Summer With Your Elderly Parents
- Cost Of Assisted Living in your State
- Signs of Nursing Home Neglect and Elder Abuse
- The Financial Side of Being a Caregiver
- A Senior Living Neighborhood Can Be Life Transforming
- Management of Hypertension in Seniors | Best Practices
- How Utilizing A Hoyer Lift Is Actually Better For Patient Care
- Medical Alert Systems and In Home Care Can Combat Rising Healthcare Costs
- Sound Advice On How To Stay Young
- Medical Alert Systems and Signs Your Aging Parents Need Help: What you Need to Know
- Why Caregivers and Doctors Recommend Medical Alert Systems
- Medical Alert: Enabling Seniors to Connect Instantly to Caregivers