How to recover PST When outlook PST Inaccessible due to CRC Errors ?
- Author Axel Culver
- Published March 22, 2010
- Word count 761
PST File Recovery - CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) is the general technique applied to implement data reliability. Basically, it is a function which is responsible for detecting any changes to data that are used across network or stored on storage devices. Microsoft Outlook PST employs CRC check each time when you open the file. If you get Cyclic Redundancy Check errors while trying to access PST, this indicates errors with your PST and in many cases with the hard disk. In other words, CRC errors while accessing PST are not indicative of Outlook problems but are actually of issues related to location where PST resides. When PST gets corrupted due to such CRC errors, you will require restoring it from the most recent backup. In case of any backup related concerns, you should alternatively use Outlook PST Recovery tools.
As an example, you might encounter the similar error message while accessing your Outlook PST file:
"File path\filename.pst could not be accessed. Data error. Cyclic redundancy check."
"Data error (cyclic redundancy check)"
This error specifically occurs after you download an email message to your Outlook PST file. Where, ‘path’ refers to the location of the PST file and ‘filename.pst’ denotes the name of PST file.
As additional symptoms, you might fail to view few messages which have been downloaded. Also, when you click to view the Deleted Items folder messages, you get another error message as:
Microsoft Outlook exhibits such errors and symptoms if its personal data store (i.e. PST file) is damaged or corrupted. A PST file might get corrupted due to any of following reasons:
Placing PST on LAN/WAN network
Such events introduce inconsistencies in PST file and make it inaccessible in most of the cases. Outlook might also show CRC errors if hard disk is suffering from errors.
In order to correct CRC errors with Outlook, you should first check your hard disk for inconsistencies. You should then delete the damaged PST and recreate a new one. Alternatively, you can Repair Outlook PST by using commercial PST repair applications, specifically designed to repair such damaged PST files.
Checking Hard Disk Errors
To check hard disk for errors, you need to run chkdsk/f command as follows:
a) Click Start-> Run and in the Open box, type cmd to open the command prompt and press Enter
b) After the command prompt is opened, you should then type chkdsk /f and then press Enter.
c) You might receive an error similar to:
"The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"
If you receive the error as above, you should press Y and restart your system.
d) Close the command prompt if you don’t receive the above error message and start Outlook
Chkdsk looks and corrects the hard disk for CRC like errors, if any.
Repairing and Creating a new PST file
To create a new PST file, free from any errors, you should follow these steps:
- You should start Windows Explorer after quitting Microsoft Office Outlook and locate the PST file, generally located at:
drive:\Documents and Settings\UserID\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Backup the file
Rename the original corrupted PST file
You can then use Inbox Repair Tool to try repairing the damaged PST file. If problem persists, you can use commercial Outlook PST Repair applications.
To create a new PST file, you should start Outlook. Outlook will not find any PST file while you do so. Next, you should specify the file name of new PST in the Create/Open Personal Folder File dialog box. You can then try to import the data from old PST file.
To Recover PST, third party tools prove to be valid applications. These utilities perform safe file repair and restore it at a safe location, thereby providing you complete file repair results.
PST Recovery Software is an advanced application to recover damaged or corrupted PST files. The tool is an advanced, non-destructive and comprehensive product that could Recover PST in all cases of file corruption. It supports Outlook 2007, 2003, 2002 and 2000. The PST File Recovery software can restore all email messages, notes, journals, tasks, appointments, calendar items and other Outlook items. It is compatible with Windows Vista, XP, 2003, 2000 and NT. It also provides PST Password Recovery and Split PST options.
There are no posted comments.
- Powerful business email with MDaemon Messaging Server
- Email Marketing By Spoken Communication
- MDaemon Messaging Server - a business email server for Windows
- How to Reinstall AOL Desktop Gold
- Avaya Users Email List - Avaya Users Mailing Data - B2B Technology Lists
- Autodesk Users Email List - Buy AutoDesk User List - B2B Technology Lists
- Actuate Users Email List - Actuate Users Mailing List - B2B Technology Lists
- Email etiquette nightmares we could all do without
- Microsoft Outlook problems like freezing, corrupt PST, Profile, Add-in, and so forth
- Print to Mail Automation for Corporate Businesses.
- Get Reliable Solution to Wipe Out Hiccups Related To Hotmail
- B2B Mailing List | B2B Email List | B2B Data List-B2B Leo
- VMware Users Email List-B2B Leo
- How to Download AOL Desktop Gold?
- Automail: Commercial Printing, Mailroom Automation, and Beyond
- Why Disaster Recovery Solutions is Unavoidable?
- E-delivery is the Green Step to Business Success
- How important is Automail System for B2B Communications?
- How to prevent e-mail attacks
- Can social media replace email marketing?
- QuickLock - A Disruptive New Office Technology?
- Don’t Let Your Email Ruin Your Chances: Professional Email Etiquette
- Top 5 Email Marketing Strategies
- Increasing Email Productivity with Gmail Filters
- 7 Subject Line Tricks to Get Your Emails Opened
- How To Make Your List More Responsive
- Lead Capture Systems – Getting More Customers
- Do’s and Don’ts when sending email
- Easy steps on how to build your Email marketing list
- Do More with Your Email with the EverDesk Email Client