Pregnant with Twins: What to Expect
- Author Nick Moutter
- Published January 28, 2012
- Word count 413
Being pregnant with twins may come as a shock or a blessing, you may think that you are managing to complete your family in one go. Knowing whether you are carrying more than one baby can only be confirmed in an ultrasound; usually you can see this from six weeks.
You may suspect you are carrying twins if you are gaining weight, your uterus appears too large for your due date or you are suffering with severe morning sickness.
It is very common for twins to be conceived, but only one develops, this is called vanishing twin syndrome.
When pregnant with twins, you need to realise that you are carrying two babies inside you so you are more likely to get tired quickly. Ensure you get lots of rest; take naps when you can to keep your energy high.
You are also likely to gain more weight than women who are carrying only one baby. This may make you miserable and feel ugly, but remember this weight can be lost after the pregnancy so don’t get too despondent.
Morning sickness tends to be worse when you’re carrying twins. This is a result of the pregnancy hormones, you may find that you are vomiting and feeling sick all day long.
What Else You Need To Know
It has been proven that mothers carrying twins are more likely to be depressed after birth, if you feel depressed and it lasts a couple of weeks speak to your doctor or midwife for assistance. Speak to your partner about your concerns and make sure there is someone to help you when you bring the babies home and for a couple of weeks until your routines are set up and running smoothly.
Back pain is another common symptom in women carrying twins, your muscles strain with the additional weight. Resting or a warm bath will relieve the back ache.
Anaemia is also common along with high blood pressure, gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia. While this may sound scary, your midwife and doctor are used to twin pregnancies and will offer you additional testing and scans during the pregnancy to ensure you and your babies are healthy.
Bear in mind that a lot of twin pregnancies are premature, if you are working it’s a good idea to start your maternity leave early. You will be exhausted with carrying the additional weight around and if you do have a premature birth, you will be ready for it.
Lovely Little Ones is the UK' best pregnancy and birth planning site. Get the latest advice on getting pregnant including parenting advice and baby growth week by week guides.http://articlebiz.com
There are no posted comments.
- Midwifery Annual Congress 2019
- Gender Reveal Party Ideas With Color Powder
- So You Don't Sleep Well During Pregnancy? Read This Tips!
- The Naked Truth Now Exposed! "You Are Not The Only Person Concerned About The 5 Fat And Pregnant Childbirth Defects?"
- What is Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopic Surgery Methods - Simpler Operations
- Can You Take Tums While Pregnant?
- A List Of Healthy Food To Eat While Pregnant
- Making a Wise Choice with Free Printable Baby Shower Games
- PUPPP Treatments
- About PUPPP
- What is PUPPP?
- Different Baby Bottle Nipples
- Different Baby Bottle Brands
- Tips To Help You Enjoy Your Pregnancy!
- 5 Nutritional Foods to Eat When Pregnant
- How to Prepare for First Pregnancy
- 3D vs 4D Ultrasound
- Thermometers and Babies
- Pregnancy Naturally
- Finding a Fertility Doctor in the Greater Olathe Area
- Find a Missouri Fertility Clinic to Get Help Starting Your Family
- Get Pregnant With a Boy - It Is Possible To Conceive a Boy
- How An Abortion Pill Works
- Diet to Conceive a Boy - Ensure You Have A Baby Boy
- Issues to Consider with Egg Donation in Overland Park
- My View on Home and Water Birth As a Father and How I Prepared
- The Wonderful Benefits of Pre- and Postnatal Massage
- Finding A Donor Egg in Kansas City
- Fertility Specialist Kansas City - About Surrogacy
- A Primer on In Vitro Fertilization Kansas City Services