Tips on Saving Maintenance Costs for Your Vehicle
- Author Daniel Wilson
- Published February 25, 2012
- Word count 566
If you own a fleet of commercial vehicles, there is no doubt you're going to want to make sure that things run as smoothly as possible. This is true, regardless of whether you only operate a few of those vehicles in your fleet or if it is hundreds of vehicles that are being operated regularly. If you keep the following things in mind, you will find that you are spending less on maintenance and have less down time for each vehicle that is in your fleet. At the same time, you will save a considerable amount of money on maintenance costs as well as on the cost of purchasing new vehicles for the fleet.
One of the first things that you should consider is whether you are going to have an on staff maintenance crew that will take care of the vehicles or if you are going to hire the work out to a local service. For a small fleet of vehicles, you may find that hiring a local garage that is trustworthy is going to be of benefit to you. As you get more and more vehicles into the fleet, however, there is going to be some benefit to hiring people who will take care of the fleet regularly. This is not only true of any large repairs that may need to be done but it is also true of the routine maintenance that is going to need to be done as well.
Another thing that you should consider is the employees that are going to be operating those vehicles. Many of the problems that occur with the vehicles occurred because they are not being taken care of properly by the operator. This is something that you are going to have to handle in one of any number of different ways. Some people find that when they make the driver responsible for any negligence that occurs, there is less negligence that takes place. Other businesses find that when they give bonuses or other incentives to their drivers who operate the vehicles properly, they have fewer problems with the fleet. This may be something that you are going to need to experiment with in order to know what works best for your business model.
You should also consider the vehicles that you are purchasing. New vehicles have some benefit to them, but if you find high quality used trucks for sale, you will be able to save money on the purchase and get many of those benefits as well. For example, if you were to find lightly used cargo vans for sale, you may be able to purchase them at a considerable discount, while at the same time having the warranty transferred to you. These tend to be very low maintenance, and if you buy them from a trustworthy source, they will even go over them for you so that they make sure they are in top running condition.
There are other things that you should keep in mind when operating a fleet as well. These would include the type of mileage that you get out of the vehicles as well as whether or not you are going to monitor the vehicles and in what way you are going to monitor them. Operating a fleet of vehicles can be time intensive, but when it is done properly, you will find that it is well worth it.
There are no posted comments.
- Benefits of Leasing a Van or Truck for Your Small Business
- Vehicular Performance - Miles vs. Hours
- IFTA Calculation through ELD and Fleet Management
- MA 1080 – Telematics wonder by Matrack
- How to reduce Driver Detention?
- Transition from AOBRD to ELD
- The Truck Drivers of the Future - Millennials
- Combating Cargo Theft
- How to find a good trucking company?
- Customise Your Ute With Ute Storage Drawers
- 5 Significant Factors You Should Consider Before Renting a Vehicle
- Do You Need a Truck Rack?
- Self-Driven Vehicles Testing Guidelines Tightened
- Driver Buddy The Latest Technology in Driver Management.
- 5 Reasons to Begin a Career as a Truck Driver
- Buying A Used Forklift
- Increased Fatality Rates Due to Commercial Truck Rollover Accidents
- Train Air Horns Sound
- 6 fascinating facts about Caterpillar
- The world’s biggest and deepest mines
- Featured Equipment: Komatsu WA500-3 Loader
- How Cargo Vans Can Uplift Your Business
- Tax deductions to drive plant and equipment sales
- How to avoid truck blind spots
- How we remain safe on the road and you can too
- Hall of Fame celebrates our Aussie truckers
- The future of Australian mining metals: liquid natural gas
- Top 5 facts about the largest Caterpillar wheel loader
- Turbo Diesel Pick Up Trucks and Fuel Dilution Issues
- Truck Accessories-Many fix real troubles